Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I am planning on setting up a 600 litre tank and I plan to keep the following fish.
2 Clownfish
2 Banggai Cardinal
1 Tomini Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 Purple Tang
1 Blue/Gold Rim Tang
1 Coral Beauty/Flame/Pyramid Angelfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Melanurus/Vrolik’s Wrasse (male)
1 Six Line rasse
1 Pink/Purple Firefish
1 Randall’s Prawn/Yellow Watchman Goby
The only copper that is available in our country is cupramine by seachem, I heard that some of these fish especially the wrasses and gobies do not do good in this type of copper, so I was wondering how to use this copper with these fish. I plan on freshwater dipping the fish first and then keeping them in hyposalinity with this copper and general cure. If I do not see any stringy poop, I will only feed them general cure for half the number of days just to be safe. After 14 days if there aren’t any symptoms, then I will do water changes and bring the salinity up and also get rid of the carbon. On day 20 then I will add them to the tank. What do you guys think of this approach? Is it ok? Should I do anything else as well? Also please let me know what should be the copper levels for the wrasses. I saw some people only use half the dose and for 7 days on the wrasses, so please tell me how to do it. Thanks!

Avast

Phlynamjax

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 20 wrasses (Fairy, leopard, tamarin) in my tank. All my fish are treated with cupramine. I don’t have any issues. Ramp up slowly and watch their behaviors. Cupramine used to be a go to product for copper back in the day. I have been using it for long time and works for me on every fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you follow the normal QT protocol. Checking levels closely. Im not sure there is a (ny) advantage to hypo salinity in addition. Hyposalinity is only effective for some parasites - not all.

As to using 1/2 the dose on some days - there is also some evidence that wrasses are somewhat resistant to Ich. So - they might do fine - while still able to spread the potential parasite. One problem is that many people will 'say' - you don't need copper at all - so it's hard to know if those using lower levels are actually just lucky, as compared to others.

I think (after re-reading your post) - you seem to want to change things - dosing 1/2 general cure, etc. IMHO- the protocols are written the way they are for a reason - and cutting back, etc - can lead to problems.

It seems like you have an ambitious tank planned - please post pictures!!!

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you follow the normal QT protocol. Checking levels closely. Im not sure there is a (ny) advantage to hypo salinity in addition. Hyposalinity is only effective for some parasites - not all.

As to using 1/2 the dose on some days - there is also some evidence that wrasses are somewhat resistant to Ich. So - they might do fine - while still able to spread the potential parasite. One problem is that many people will 'say' - you don't need copper at all - so it's hard to know if those using lower levels are actually just lucky, as compared to others.

I think (after re-reading your post) - you seem to want to change things - dosing 1/2 general cure, etc. IMHO- the protocols are written the way they are for a reason - and cutting back, etc - can lead to problems.

It seems like you have an ambitious tank planned - please post pictures!!!
Thank you so much! I had a 40 gallon fowlr tank but I shut it down just before covid started. Now I just have freshwater fish and birds. Hoping to set the tank up in February! I have been planning for the last year and a half! I am only 14 going to be 15 in December, so hopefully everything goes alright. And yes I will post lots of pictures! (Mainly for help)

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 20 wrasses (Fairy, leopard, tamarin) in my tank. All my fish are treated with cupramine. I don’t have any issues. Ramp up slowly and watch their behaviors. Cupramine used to be a go to product for copper back in the day. I have been using it for long time and works for me on every fish.
Hi there, thank you so much for the reply. Can you please tell me the medicines you use for quarantining fish and also the process you used? I would really appreciate it if you told me how you quarantined your fish. It would really help me out!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back