Culturing Grindal or White Worms...What to Do When You're Away?

BRS

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in culturing Grindal Worms again but this time am determined not to have an inevitable crash about a month in...my question is what do I do when I'm gone for a few days or so? I'll be going on a short trip or two in December and don't want to come home to dead worms...i can have someone feed them for me but does anyone have any other tips on how to maybe automate the system in some way? Last time I left for a few days it was a disaster....thanks guys!

AquaCave Logo Banner

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my grindal worms with supermarket tortillas. The preservatives in them (I know, I know!) inhibit mould growth and keep them fresh for several days. I recently left my cultures for five days and they were still alive when I returned. I did keep the substrate quite wet, which seemed to help.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my grindal worms with supermarket tortillas. The preservatives in them (I know, I know!) inhibit mould growth and keep them fresh for several days. I recently left my cultures for five days and they were still alive when I returned. I did keep the substrate quite wet, which seemed to help.
That's a good idea! For some reason i have trouble keeping my cultures from crashing at about the 1 month mark also...is there somewhere that explains changing the substrate, how moist to keep it, etc. As well?...i like that solution to the traveling issue!
The thing is, here no shops sell any live food whatsoever that I'm aware of and i was thinking about culturing Grindal Worms to sell here using my coral dealer to advertise them for me which he already said he was willing to do as long as he doesn't have to take care of them and will get a cut. It could be a good side hustle if I can perfect my culture technique.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FnR
Back