+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a little bit since last update.

Calcium reactor is now locked in and working great. These MTC reactors are just amazing. However had a freak accident with the skimmer and still do not know why, skimmer was 3/4 full which I usually drain but did the "I'll do it in the morning" in my mind and that night the skimmer decided to overflow overnight jumping the tanks nitrates to the moon. I did a water change and went onto Red Sea NO3P0X and set to wet skim and tank cleaned up very, very well. Now all algae is pretty much gone and Nitrates are back down to under two and things are on the up. I ended up losing five or so frags and a small colony over this but time to put a float switch on the skimmer as I never want this to happen again. Here is as of today, gravel is pearly white.

051516.jpg

Corals.com
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Cubed Reefer

Cubed Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to bring some goodies over lol

Freebies are always welcome! Haha, also kind of on the fence where I wanna run my Alk I was thinking of lower alk to mimic natural sea water but seen so many tank of late running 9+ your thoughts?

DunkCityReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freebies are always welcome! Haha, also kind of on the fence where I wanna run my Alk I was thinking of lower alk to mimic natural sea water but seen so many tank of late running 9+ your thoughts?

If you like what you see now I would stick with it, I'm running around 8-9 and happy with the results. I wouldn't say there's one right answer, if it works for you it may not work for someone else and vice versa

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Cubed Reefer

Cubed Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like what you see now I would stick with it, I'm running around 8-9 and happy with the results. I wouldn't say there's one right answer, if it works for you it may not work for someone else and vice versa
True that I am gonna stay with what it levels off at seems like 10 right now

OP
OP
Cubed Reefer

Cubed Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past week have been great, Calcium reactor finally locked in and almost the same Hanna Alk readings constantly. Frags and colonies have had noticeably better, colors starting to get vivid and even some fresh growth. I am keeping Alk around 10 and calcium is sitting right at 420.Added a male Pyle's wrasse. One I have been looking for awhile now. Below is latest pic from tonight, Have a great Holiday Weekend!

052716.jpg

Nutramar Foods

CON CAC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How do you like the height of the tank so far? I would imagine that it's so much easier to maintain at this height. I'm planning on getting the same height for my next tank. The width of your tank is perfect too. Lots of space.

Great looking tank !

Jealous!

Tagging along!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cubed Reefer

Cubed Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a dream system.

Thank you sir! It was my dream tank, sure I can say I want bigger or something and that wouldn't be a lie but its not too big not too small just right for a lot of fish coral and my house! lol.

How do you like the height of the tank so far? I would imagine that it's so much easier to maintain at this height. I'm planning on getting the same height for my next tank. The width of your tank is perfect too. Lots of space.

Great looking tank !

Jealous!

Tagging along!

Well it is a little higher than you think, the stand itself is 42" plus the ply then the foam make it near 46", I do need a step ladder to reach in or adjust frags but that is not issue for me. The idea behind the tank was making measurements that could fit through a standard doorway as well as not being as tall as most of the standard deep dimension tanks. So with a great starting length of 60" I then went with 32" because 35" is a standard doorway width and could still fit through, the 22" height is the best of both worlds because its not a 18" where it becomes too shallow quickly or 24"-27" tall where I think can be a pain and too much in my opinion and add more pressure to the panels then needed so 22" was my sweet spot. Overall with gravel and where the water settles on drain its roughly 19" of water maybe 18". Helps push some serious PAR from the fixture and flow from the Gyre as well. Overall I had tormented my self on measurements for awhile before pulling the trigger, only somewhat regret is I wish I had went ghost overflow versus internal just for the space but splitting hairs at that point, as it allows me to be very close to the wall. I could not recommend Crystal Dynamics enough as a builder.

OP
OP
Cubed Reefer

Cubed Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys a little picture update, nothing has really changed other than adding some coral here and there. Have a nice new Pintail which is exciting. Steady dose on N03P0X keeps the tank sparkly clean. Current parameters..

Alk 10-10.5
Cal 400
Mag 1320
N03 <1

07a1b485e0c843564f18783219f26e22.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Cubed Reefer

Cubed Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is some serious numbers
I have moved the fixture up a little more to 15" above water level.

tank is 22" overall so with gravel and minus the top portion for missing water depth is 16-17" I figure. So technically shallow in my mind but with a lot of surface area and swimming room.

OP
OP
Cubed Reefer

Cubed Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up moving all coral to a holding tank while I made some equipment changes and decided to make additions livestock wise before I added more coral. The tank is now known as Wrasseville.

Currently
1x Large Maxima Clam
3x Large Hipopus Clams
1x Large Derasa Clam
1x Large Squamosa Clam

FISH
  • FoxFace Lo
  • Purple Tang
  • Flame HawkFish
  • Blue Reef Chromis
  • Social Fairy Wrasse
  • Temmincki Fairy Wrasse
  • Australian Scott's Fairy Wrasse
  • Katherine's Fairy Wrasse
  • Pyle's Fairy Wrasse
  • Sailfin Hybrid Fairy Wrasse
  • PinTail Fairy Wrasse
  • Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse
  • Lunate Fairy Wrasse
  • Dusky Fairy Wrasse AKA C. Brunneus
  • Yellow Coris Wrasse

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back