Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ope yep woops. Looks like you were right lol should have just listened from the start rasbora are sweet looking. Leaning more towards salt and pepper corys now over oto given interacting with them. Lfs was super helpful had a sale on tropica aquarium soil got 9 liters for 45 bucks. Gonna add the betta last. They also had bettas and were willing to drop in a few ghost shrimp before purchase to test shrimp compatibility. They had lots of color morphs of caridina and neocaridina as well though pricey. Will be a good place to start.
I wouldn’t take away the Otos. Otos are so good for algae on the plants and give such good character. If your going to add Cory’s, try to add all the shrimp first, look at the way they disperse how much ground they cover their preferred spots and places they eat, if there is enough room in your eyes for Cories go for it. Salt and Pepper Cory’s are one of my favorites.

Nutramar Foods

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are near the top of my list of tank mates for my goldfish 150g, though still undecided between the gold ones or normal white cloud mountain minnows. Definitely recommend for colder water.
I like the normal ones better lol.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow me to be another voice cautioning shrimp, especially neocaradina or caradina and a betta. They may work, but more than likely not. bamboo or Amano, being bigger may work, maybe an even more expensive snack. Most fish on your list will snack on shrimp eggs. I would love a bamboo shrimp; thanks for reminding me.

Chili rasboras are awesome, as are ember tetras. shouldn't have an issue with either option.

Cory's: I love them. derpy like no other. Mine (panda) tend to stay on the bottom, they also know full well that rules are meant to be broken. They will run into other fish but get completely ignored when they do and it's hilarious.

White clouds: also awesome fish. I have them in with my angels at 78 degrees just fine. they are extinct in the wild (as far as I'm led to believe) so they adapt pretty well to any tank.

Otos are fine. get ones with fat bellies and they should be eating fine. skinny is not good.

I'd do one showpiece then about 6-12 either the white clouds or the rasboras. 3-5 corys for the full list.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you not like the normal ones lol they are so cute
1676674532208.png

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow me to be another voice cautioning shrimp, especially neocaradina or caradina and a betta. They may work, but more than likely not. bamboo or Amano, being bigger may work, maybe an even more expensive snack. Most fish on your list will snack on shrimp eggs. I would love a bamboo shrimp; thanks for reminding me.

Chili rasboras are awesome, as are ember tetras. shouldn't have an issue with either option.

Cory's: I love them. derpy like no other. Mine (panda) tend to stay on the bottom, they also know full well that rules are meant to be broken. They will run into other fish but get completely ignored when they do and it's hilarious.

White clouds: also awesome fish. I have them in with my angels at 78 degrees just fine. they are extinct in the wild (as far as I'm led to believe) so they adapt pretty well to any tank.

Otos are fine. get ones with fat bellies and they should be eating fine. skinny is not good.

I'd do one showpiece then about 6-12 either the white clouds or the rasboras. 3-5 corys for the full list.
That's exactly my plan. My gf really likes the idea of keeping a betta. My plan is well planted and shrimp first get a massive number then add corys then wait then add chilli rasbora then wait then trial a few ghosties in a tiny box with the betta at the store to gauge temperament then wait. Worst case scenario I have to remove the betta and replace the shrimp then maybe do the oto trio as the showpiece or try again. I get burned that hard by my reef on a weekly basis lololol

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t take away the Otos. Otos are so good for algae on the plants and give such good character. If your going to add Cory’s, try to add all the shrimp first, look at the way they disperse how much ground they cover their preferred spots and places they eat, if there is enough room in your eyes for Cories go for it. Salt and Pepper Cory’s are one of my favorites.
That's a smart approach to add shrimp let populate then gauge space.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thoughts on the plants: thing of hornwort the same way you think of gps in a reef. if you keep up with it, it's fine, but can get out of control. don't buy it, there's probably a local with some. Cabomba is a slower-growing but more demanding alternative.

depending on your light you could get some monte carlo, I really like it but it's a little more demanding than others (less than baby tears though).

Rotala Hra turns a nice red/pink with co2, without it's a dull red. bacopa Carolina is green and easy peasy.

your substrate of choice is able to handle plenty of needy plants.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly my plan. My gf really likes the idea of keeping a betta. My plan is well planted and shrimp first get a massive number then add corys then wait then add chilli rasbora then wait then trial a few ghosties in a tiny box with the betta at the store to gauge temperament then wait. Worst case scenario I have to remove the betta and replace the shrimp then maybe do the oto trio as the showpiece or try again. I get burned that hard by my reef on a weekly basis lololol
a month after my betta died I was overrun with shrimp. like 50 a month to the lfs. they are easy to breed, by my experience at least.

you're right nothing in your plan will be harder than your reef.

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thoughts on the plants: thing of hornwort the same way you think of gps in a reef. if you keep up with it, it's fine, but can get out of control. don't buy it, there's probably a local with some. Cabomba is a slower-growing but more demanding alternative.

depending on your light you could get some monte carlo, I really like it but it's a little more demanding than others (less than baby tears though).

Rotala Hra turns a nice red/pink with co2, without it's a dull red. bacopa Carolina is green and easy peasy.

your substrate of choice is able to handle plenty of needy plants.
I'm going to be between 30 and 40 lumens per liter on this tank. Cabomba really appeals to me but didn't know how it would fare. Same with rotala the internet told me it was hard but I really like the look of it. Also my lfs had a bunch of different dwarf mexican crayfish. Are they rude dudes?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is was my sisters Betta from years years years ago lol. Cant believe I still have a picture
1676676001327.jpeg

As you could tell from the plant she used to love pink lol

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be between 30 and 40 lumens per liter on this tank. Cabomba really appeals to me but didn't know how it would fare. Same with rotala the internet told me it was hard but I really like the look of it. Also my lfs had a bunch of different dwarf mexican crayfish. Are they rude dudes?
hard for plants, meh, nah (see my treatment below). not java fern or mosses or anubias easy but not hard.

Not harder than anything in your reef. you'll likely have some die-off as they are usually grown emersed. converting to submerged forms causes some loss.

two examples from my tanks: in these tanks the plants are alive, but not thriving. trimmed once in 6-months. If I ran Co2 it would be weekly at least. I really couldn't keep up with the growth. like one trimming from the 75 filled a kiddy pool.
20 gallon plant frow out/overflow and rosy red minnow holding tank. substrate: dirt capped with sand, no heater, sponge filter
IMG_20230217_181410722_HDR.jpg

purple cabomba
IMG_20230217_181416722_HDR.jpg

rotala of some variety.
IMG_20230217_181425427.jpg

75 gallon angel display, pardon the jungle val. you can clearly see a panda cory breaking the rules and swimming mid-tank.
IMG_20230217_181442058_HDR.jpg

same rotala
IMG_20230217_181450264_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Cthulukelele

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard for plants, meh, nah (see my treatment below). not java fern or mosses or anubias easy but not hard.

Not harder than anything in your reef. you'll likely have some die-off as they are usually grown emersed. converting to submerged forms causes some loss.

two examples from my tanks: in these tanks the plants are alive, but not thriving. trimmed once in 6-months. If I ran Co2 it would be weekly at least. I really couldn't keep up with the growth. like one trimming from the 75 filled a kiddy pool.
20 gallon plant frow out/overflow and rosy red minnow holding tank. substrate: dirt capped with sand, no heater, sponge filter
View attachment 3027353

purple cabomba
View attachment 3027354

rotala of some variety.
View attachment 3027355

75 gallon angel display, pardon the jungle val. you can clearly see a panda cory breaking the rules and swimming mid-tank.
View attachment 3027356

same rotala
View attachment 3027357
Thanks for the guidance on plants!

BRS

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3027353

purple cabomba
View attachment 3027354

rotala of some variety.
View attachment 3027355

View attachment 3027356

same rotala
View attachment 3027357
That Vallisneria looks insane!

AquaCave Logo Banner

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dude locally it's gotten insane! One lfs that offers bro deals on most fish hasn't had a small one stocked in months so even the one spots have been huge and over 120 bucks. The other lfs has given up all pretense of caring about the consumer and is charging 180 blanket for all their foxfaces
I've posted this 3 times today but ...
Screenshot_20230217-121608.png

They forgot a 9.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back