Crusty companion: What is your favorite shrimp for a reef tank?

BRS

What is your favorite shrimp for a reef tank?

• Cleaner Shrimp

Votes: 194 56.2%
  • Harlequin Shrimp

Votes: 15 4.3%
  • Mantis Shrimp

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 29 8.4%
  • Pistol Shrimp

Votes: 37 10.7%
  • Sexy Shrimp

Votes: 20 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 43 12.5%

• Total voters

TWYOUNG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blood fire shrimp over 2 years and lucky to have it as I had two cleaners, a giant coral banded shrimp and this fire. Some of the others were almost 4 years for me and I introduced a flame hawk who quickly ate all the others.
Did you remove your Hawkfish or did he just not go after your blood shrimp?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Did you remove your Hawkfish or did he just not go after your blood shrimp?
He's long gone and never again. Still have my blood red shrimp

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cleaner, but have been wanting to get a fire shrimp. Do they ever get over their shyness and eventually come out during the day?
It’s really shrimp dependant, my last one was all over the tank but my current one is mainly out at night and during feedings.

NickHolmes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this guy for over a year now, fascinating creature with quite the appetite. Managed to get a steady supply of Cushion Stars locally so he stays well fed
Harley.jpg

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything else is always happy and honestly the shrimp is acting normally. But I’d wake up in the morning and they look like tumbleweeds on the bottom of the tank. Maybe one day I will give shrimp another shot
Are you sure it is dead? mine disappear completely for over 3 weeks, but a few days ago I saw the end of its antennae sticking out of a large conch shell. Cannot see the shrimp, but antennae appears during feeding. The molt looks so much like the shrimp itself, than it is easy to think them dead. I thought I lost my coral banded shrimp, until I saw the live shrimp standing next to its molt.

Sinibotia

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely pistol. Both of the reef tanks I have had now have had a pistol and goby pair as their centerpiece motile animals because they are just so fascinating to watch and their habits are so endearing and amusing, even if they can be a little frustrating moving things where you didnt want them I don't think a nano reef gets better than pistol shrimp (plus goby).

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it is dead? mine disappear completely for over 3 weeks, but a few days ago I saw the end of its antennae sticking out of a large conch shell. Cannot see the shrimp, but antennae appears during feeding. The molt looks so much like the shrimp itself, than it is easy to think them dead. I thought I lost my coral banded shrimp, until I saw the live shrimp standing next to its molt.
Oh yeah, he way definitely dead. I sit him out of the tank and when he was in my hand he was 100% gone. Which I was upset about because he had inly been in the tank for about 36 hours at the time. Everything else I put in at the time with him is still happy and healthy. It ironic that you quoted my comment about it because the place I bought it from had the same name as you. Nemo, lol. But I don’t know maybe it’s just not meant for me to have a cleaner shrimp.

TWYOUNG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's long gone and never again. Still have my blood red shrimp
I wanted to add a cleaner shrimp a few months ago to help with a low level of parasite activity even though I have a Flame. First Skunk was in there six weeks without any issues so I added two more Skunks and two Blood Reds. 10 days later one of the Bloods Disappeared without any evidence then a month later the remains, (I don't think it was just a shell), of a skunk were found and I appear to be down to two skunks and one Blood Red. I did see considerable squabbling between the three Skunks so I'm trying to determine if I have an assassin Hawkfish or if he's as innocent as he looks lol!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I wanted to add a cleaner shrimp a few months ago to help with a low level of parasite activity even though I have a Flame. First Skunk was in there six weeks without any issues so I added two more Skunks and two Blood Reds. 10 days later one of the Bloods Disappeared without any evidence then a month later the remains, (I don't think it was just a shell), of a skunk were found and I appear to be down to two skunks and one Blood Red. I did see considerable squabbling between the three Skunks so I'm trying to determine if I have an assassin Hawkfish or if he's as innocent as he looks lol!
I trust a politician more than I trust a hawkfish

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ironic that you quoted my comment about it because the place I bought it from had the same name as you. Nemo, lol. But I don’t know maybe it’s just not meant for me to have a cleaner shrimp.
I bought mine at Nemo in Charlotte too, about 6 weeks ago. It disappeared for over 3 weeks and I thought it died. But a few days ago the end of its antennae appeared...
All my fish, and most of my invert, except a few snails come from Nemo. I do not have corals, just macro. I have been happy with their advice and the stuff I bought from them.

ID-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cleaner shrimp, a pistol and a harlequin. My favorite is the Harlequin for sure. So fun to watch and is really a beautiful creature. I see him daily in my 200 gal. reef and feed him one arm off of a chocolate chip star once a week.

IMG_8845.jpeg

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine at Nemo in Charlotte too, about 6 weeks ago. It disappeared for over 3 weeks and I thought it died. But a few days ago the end of its antennae appeared...
All my fish, and most of my invert, except a few snails come from Nemo. I do not have corals, just macro. I have been happy with their advice and the stuff I bought from them.
I like them also and that where I got my Wyoming white clowns from. Maybe my Shri will make another appearance but I’m 99% sure he’s gone.. lol.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back