Crustacean camper: Have you kept hermit crabs in your reef?

BRS

Have you kept hermit crabs in your reef?

• Yes, I currently keep hermit crabs

Votes: 71 76.3%
  • Yes, I have kept hermit crabs in the past

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • No, but I am interested in keeping hermit crabs

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • No, I have no plans to keep hermit crabs

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crustacean camper: Have you kept hermit crabs in your reef?

Hermit crabs that are kept in the marine aquarium come in various sizes and are kept for various reasons. These fascinating shell dwellers can add another aspect to your tank. Some hermit crabs are kept primarily for their looks and personality whereas others are kept as part of the clean-up-crew (CUC). Have you kept hermit crabs in your aquarium? Why did you select your hermit crabs? Do you have any stories or tips to share?

CMMorgan_HermitCrab.png

Photo by @CMMorgan

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've got dozens in my tank. Some are there for scavenging - others because I just likes their personality (I have a good dozen miscellaneous/unknown hermit crabs).

The algae eating variety are particularly good climbers (often scaling cords in the tank).

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn’t have a system without them but they can be advantageous little buggers, recently they attacked one of my Mexican turbo snails, dislodged his foot, and started to consume it.

kazeespada

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love hermit crabs. They are so silly. Also, my tanks have always been quite small, so dwarf hermits make great itty bitty centerpieces.

I currently have a dwarf zebra hermit(although she's quite large now) and a Halloween hermit.

My goal one day is to have an adult Giant Marine Hermit(Petrochirus Diogenes).

Makara23

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ONLY reason I have hermits is because they're comedians. If they weren't entertaining, I would get rid of them pretty quick.

They're so useless otherwise: Does nothing for hair algae. My cleaner shrimps are much better scavengers. Also murders my snails for no reason (I witnessed one ripping apart a perfectly healthy trochus snail and didn't even want the shell afterwards).

kazeespada

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ONLY reason I have hermits is because they're comedians. If they weren't entertaining, I would get rid of them pretty quick.

They're so useless otherwise: Does nothing for hair algae. My cleaner shrimps are much better scavengers. Also murders my snails for no reason (I witnessed one ripping apart a perfectly healthy trochus snail and didn't even want the shell afterwards).
Are you sure it's hair algae and not bryopsis? My hermits go crazy for hair algae. I have even seen my dwarf zebra hermit climb the silicon like an ice climber to reach some. Attacking snails is usually a sign of not enough meaty foods or not enough shells. Going off recommendations from Land Hermit keepers, it's about 5 shells of approximately the right size per hermit. I have also seen mine attack snails during feeding time, although they usually give up once the snail puts up a fight.

jerrberryjerr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a dozen or so in my 72 gal bow front but they are completely nocturnal. Same goes for my mithrax crabs, shrimp, urchins, snails and brittle stars. Kind of frustrating as they are a big reason for my love of the hobby. All I can assume is one of the fish take a swipe at them during the day.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back