Crocea clam detached from its original rock

stan255

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My crocea clam has detached from its original rock. It is still on the rock but its foot is not attached to the rock.

Should I be worried?

1. Its mantle is still opening up and it is still reacting to the light.
2. Foot looks clean after inspecting for any bugs.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams occasionally release the byssal bundle and grow a new one even when they are healthy. This fact by itself is not a problem. How well he looks and if he is growing is a much better indicator of health. If I have no other observations, I look for shell white rims and look into the byssal opening to see that there is no empty space inside the shells.

OP
OP
stan255

stan255

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0309.jpeg

Here is the latest lights out photo

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam does not look very healthy. Can you post a picture of it at its best right now? There is no shell growth and mantle are really retracted. If this is the clam at its best, then it is essentially dead.

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes when clams release their hold or don’t put down a byssal threads it’s because they aren’t happy where they are located.
Crocea clams are the most light demanding clam and do better in very high par but would be able to survive in the 200-300 par regions. They also prefer a solid rock substrate to sand it lose gravel.
They are also one of the slower growing clams so often don’t have the super pearly white growth band you see in other species as it gets cover almost as fast as it grows.
However, your doesn’t look like it is actively growing at all and if the mantle isn’t more exposed than in the photo I might be worrier.
You might want to consider moving it to a higher spot in the tank somewhat slowly. Don’t jump from the bottom to the top is all I’m saying.
Best of luck

OP
OP
stan255

stan255

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have photos of what new shell growth looks like for a Crocea clam? I can hardly any good photos online of what that looks like.

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos when lights on. One of the photo shows how much extension the mantle is getting during lights on
IMG_0363.jpeg
IMG_0365.jpeg
The clam definitely looks lively and healthy. I would just say it detached since it wasn’t happy where is was. Probably wants more light

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just look up tridacna clam growth, you’ll get pictures where the shell directly under the mantle is all white. As this is where new shell is put down during growth and it will slowly become covered in algaes and coralline. However you don’t really see this very much in the crocea clams as they have the slowest growth rate.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have photos of what new shell growth looks like for a Crocea clam? I can hardly any good photos online of what that looks like.
This is my crocea, I disturbed him to take the pic. Its not a great picture, but you can see the white at the top of the shell. I've had my crocea for 5 years now, and it always had that thin white line at the top.

1725551359955.png

OP
OP
stan255

stan255

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pics of your clams shell growth, @minus9 @Mr. Mojo Rising.

What PAR do you guys keep your clams under?
I have mine sitting in between 2 Radion G5s @ 50% intensity. I am slowly ramping this up by 1% every week. The goal is 400 PAR where the clam is sitting (12" below surface and 8" mounting height)

@minus9 Very nice clams. Are those maxima clams?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the pics of your clams shell growth, @minus9 @Mr. Mojo Rising.

What PAR do you guys keep your clams under?
I have mine sitting in between 2 Radion G5s @ 50% intensity. I am slowly ramping this up by 1% every week. The goal is 400 PAR where the clam is sitting (12" below surface and 8" mounting height)

@minus9 Very nice clams. Are those maxima clams?
Thanks! No maximas, that last maxima wiped out my other maximas and noae. I currently have 3 crocea, 2 squamosa, 1 derasa and 1 hippopus. I’m not sure about par, but I need to take measurements. I know the croceas are receiving less than 400 micro moles, more like low 300’s if I had to guess.

OP
OP
stan255

stan255

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! No maximas, that last maxima wiped out my other maximas and noae. I currently have 3 crocea, 2 squamosa, 1 derasa and 1 hippopus. I’m not sure about par, but I need to take measurements. I know the croceas are receiving less than 400 micro moles, more like low 300’s if I had to guess.
How did the maxima wiped out your other clams? Disease?

My crocea is 15cm across. I’m not sure the lack of shell growth is due to it reaching its maximum size.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did the maxima wiped out your other clams? Disease?

My crocea is 15cm across. I’m not sure the lack of shell growth is due to it reaching its maximum size.
Most likely a virus/pathogen, but like most things, it's pure speculation. But knowing that I'm not the only who has experienced this within the past year or so, it's the most likely candidate.
It should still exhibit some new shell growth, but it would be a small margin though.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back