Crazy aqua scape, Please answer !

aquariumfiends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this for a while now and I wanted everyone’s thoughts, crazy idea but I want to do a square staggered rock aqua scape. Ok key points, I want to hundreds of pounds of rock and cut the corners/jagged parts etc off and make cubes and rectangles ( I know this sounds expensive but I can run across some crazy good deals on marketplace on live rock), I know I will have to stagger them to create caves and crevices) this is all going in a 180 that’s a new setup and im going to be cycling the rock and tank for a few months. I just want to do something different everything I see looks the same with small variations
I’m looking for everyone’s input !
Questions
1. I know cutting them will create dust, will that dust nuke my tank calcium wise ?
2.if so how do I get rid of the dust? rise with freshwater ?
3. What’s the easiest way to cut cubes out of live rock ? Table saw ? Tile saw ? Etc
4. If I run out of market place material is there anywhere that sells bulk live rock like hundreds of pounds ?
5. Has anyone seen this done before I can’t find any examples online ?

(Picture is the closest things I could find to what I want)

OP
OP
aquariumfiends

aquariumfiends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6889.png

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did similar in a freshwater tank using flagstone. It didn't look "natural" so if you're looking for something that's at all natural looking, it's going to disappoint you. If you're looking for a Minecraft look, it should work.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are you planning on having corals?

If so, once they fill in it will look more jagged again.

OP
OP
aquariumfiends

aquariumfiends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did similar in a freshwater tank using flagstone. It didn't look "natural" so if you're looking for something that's at natural looking, it's going to disappoint you. If you're looking for a Minecraft look, it should work.
Not looking for natural per say, more like square with Swiss cheese holes and small imperfections

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think cutting with a tile saw would probably be a good solution. As far as the dust, rinse in freshwater would work. Also, is recommend a freshwater rinse and then a saltwater soak if you've got a week or so. That'll help start populating some bacteria.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes I want to create small shelf’s for the corals to grow on, with the staggering of the rocks
So a lot of people make flat shelf rocks and I think it looks fine. Making the front flat is why might drive you craY for a bit. Or it might be what you love.

It's definitely different than the norm but that's not always bad.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on using actually live rock, or dry rock? If dry rock, you could make your own square rocks pretty easily (and very cheaply) by just casting them in a cube shaped mold without needing to cut a ton.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an interesting idea that doesn’t sound aesthetically pleasing to me, but to each their own.
I think using a larger blade on a reciprocating saw would make quick work of the rock. If needed they make masonry blades for them in fairly long lengths.

OP
OP
aquariumfiends

aquariumfiends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a lot of people make flat shelf rocks and I think it looks fine. Making the front flat is why might drive you craY for a bit. Or it might be what you love.

It's definitely different than the norm but that's not always bad.
I have seen the flat rock shelf’s but I’m wanting a more cubed effect

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, Aragocrete is fairly inexpensive to make and pretty easy. It takes a little bit of time to leach and stop the alkalinity spike. I think mine usually took about a week to 2 weeks depending on the size.

OP
OP
aquariumfiends

aquariumfiends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on using actually live rock, or dry rock? If dry rock, you could make your own square rocks pretty easily (and very cheaply) by just casting them in a cube shaped mold without needing to cut a ton.
I want to use live rock, I have thought about casting my own but I want random imperfections like a Swiss cheese edge effect, and this is one of my dream tank builds so I have months to finish it

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am trying to picture your vision. And while I think anything is possible, I would say you would be surprised how good a basic chisel and hammer can do

My advice would be to keep water flow in mind as to do not want the only flow to be from the front, and figure out a way to allow water flow from all directions

Do your cuts / chiseling outside the tank, rinse well, power wash is a good cleaning tool, and you won’t have any dust issues

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
aquariumfiends

aquariumfiends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you figure out how to cut live rock into your desired shapes, are you prepared to spend thousands of dollars on live rock? Because you’re going to need to in order to achieve what you’re trying to do.
I can find most of what I need on market place for $1-$2 a lb but yes I’m aware

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back