Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a sump? It may be easier to create a little land in there.
As for being sent the wrong crab then you need to speak to the seller and show them their mistake. I'd be surprised if you didn't get a refund or at least another crab.
yes I certainly will be telling them as not like it can go back. unfortunately no I don't have a sump it's or anywhere else it can go . so my only option is to just leave her?

Nutramar Foods

L0L_Z

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I certainly will be telling them as not like it can go back. unfortunately no I don't have a sump it's or anywhere else it can go . so my only option is to just leave her?
fill up a small plastic tote, add some rock and sand, shoudl be fine. Add food every 2 days. Btw, if you really like it, put it in a 5 gallon halfway filled

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3028468
I see these red claw crabs sold at LFS’s. They are really brackish crabs. Now comparing I don’t think you have a red claw crab. I thought it might be because of the body shape.
So is it the same as what I originally thought?I’ve seen these as Red Claw Crabs at LFS… That first pic I couldn’t see much coloration but thought the body shape looked very similar.

Top Shelf Aquatics

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it the same as what I originally thought?I’ve seen these as Red Claw Crabs at LFS… That first pic I couldn’t see much coloration but thought the body shape looked very similar.
Or I guess these are two different crabs

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep that's what I thought as soon as I saw the front and underneath I knew it. I don't get why are they selling so many fiddlers for marine tanks when they are brackish and not suitable for a normal tank as require dry area. I've noticed there was some blue colour version of fiddler that alot were buying as well.

It's frustrating as well when I didn't even order this crab and there's no way you can mix up a fiddler with an anemone crab so don't know why that was done. now I'm stuck with it and not sure what to do as I can't give it the conditions it needs or a dry area etc. so I assume is it just going to die after a while?
I need to make a correction, uca was split up a ton in recent years, goes to show how out dated info on these guys are lol...

Paraleptuca crassipes is the best guess I have for the species. Which would explain why red/blue variants are sold. They typically live in mangroves. A common name for them is thick legged fiddler. I'd lean more towards full saltwater than brackish.

The species we're more familiar with, minuca mixas, is distributed all along the eastern coast of the US so it isn't specifically all brackish either. I'm not actually sure if brackish is a requirement or a symptom of going inbetween salt and freshwater since a lot of them are sold for freshwater hobbyist and temporary feeders.

It is definitely odd how they could ever mix up porcelain and fiddler crabs, I don't know what seller you're using but I'd def be careful with them.

Or I guess these are two different crabs

I think its also paraleptuca crassipes. Color variations are all over the place with fiddlers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to make a correction, uca was split up a ton in recent years, goes to show how out dated info on these guys are lol...

Paraleptuca crassipes is the best guess I have for the species. Which would explain why red/blue variants are sold. They typically live in mangroves. A common name for them is thick legged fiddler. I'd lean more towards full saltwater than brackish.

The species we're more familiar with, minuca mixas, is distributed all along the eastern coast of the US so it isn't specifically all brackish either. I'm not actually sure if brackish is a requirement or a symptom of going inbetween salt and freshwater since a lot of them are sold for freshwater hobbyist and temporary feeders.

It is definitely odd how they could ever mix up porcelain and fiddler crabs, I don't know what seller you're using but I'd def be careful with them.

I think its also paraleptuca crassipes. Color variations are all over the place with fiddlers.

So they said supposedly these type are saltwater crabs that can live submerged fine and they sell 1000s of these type. my main concern is it getting food as it stays hidden majority of the time in a dark tight hole and doesn't move

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they said supposedly these type are saltwater crabs that can live submerged fine and they sell 1000s of these type. my main concern is it getting food as it stays hidden majority of the time in a dark tight hole and doesn't move
They die if they don’t have a way to climb out of the water in my experience. If it’s the same species.

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They also said it was an anemone crab. If 1000s were sold they wouldn't stay in their captivity very long to drown and the ones that did would likely be losses they wouldn't count much like hermit crab stock. Alternatively they could be pretending they sent the right crab and be correct about porcelains not fiddlers.

They can live under water for very long periods of time, they have gills still, they cannot stay under forever and primarily burrow in mud/sand above water, hence their more swampy habitat.

They'll eat pretty much anything you give them, on land its easier in water it might need target fed.

Moral of the story is research the supplier to see if they've done this sorta thing before, and let reviews/findings be the basis on what you can believe from them or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also said it was an anemone crab. If 1000s were sold they wouldn't stay in their captivity very long to drown and the ones that did would likely be losses they wouldn't count much like hermit crab stock. Alternatively they could be pretending they sent the right crab and be correct about porcelains not fiddlers.

They can live under water for very long periods of time, they have gills still, they cannot stay under forever and primarily burrow in mud/sand above water, hence their more swampy habitat.

They'll eat pretty much anything you give them, on land its easier in water it might need target fed.

Moral of the story is research the supplier to see if they've done this sorta thing before, and let reviews/findings be the basis on what you can believe from them or not.
tbh the supplier has very good feedback they did apologise and admit they substituted the anemone crab with this fiddler crab and were meant to ask me before hand if I wanted it. I'm not going to be able to provide it a land area etc unfortunately with the tank I have all I can do is let it live in there as long as he can. I literally never see it or even know where it is most of the time as it hides in a tiny dark space somewhere so target feeding is impossible.

AquaCave Logo Banner

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tbh the supplier has very good feedback they did apologise and admit they substituted the anemone crab with this fiddler crab and were meant to ask me before hand if I wanted it. I'm not going to be able to provide it a land area etc unfortunately with the tank I have all I can do is let it live in there as long as he can. I literally never see it or even know where it is most of the time as it hides in a tiny dark space somewhere so target feeding is impossible.
It will die very soon. I went through the same situation.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back