Corals not growing and I don’t know why?!?

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using RODI water, but I’ve had some people tell me to use a hydrometer. Would this be a good option?
They have a bunch of different calibration fluids on the market. You want to buy one that is close to what you'll be using in the tank. RODI water isn't what I would recommend.

Here is an example.
Screenshot_20241007_112003_Brave.jpg

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I think I have a firm grasp on the basics, someone tells me something different lol. For example I thought 5 nitrate was a good place to be, but turns out easy corals like it dirty! I’ve been super busy in the past few months and my tank hasn’t really been getting the attention it needs, but I’m stepping it up and trying to dial in on the hobby. Do you have any recommendations as to where I can find a good bad of general info? Everything seems to be scattered throughout the internet lol.
I hear ya brother. Compared to even 15 years ago, there is SO much more information out there now. So many new methods and so many new pieces of equipment to learn about.

BRSTv has a lot of good information in terms of beginner study. Just beware their propensity to upsell you on products. Those kinds of videos are pretty easily spotted and, if you have questions on something they are suggesting, just ask. They have good vids on skimmers, UV, Fleece Rollers etc. etc.

You'll also find a TON of good info on R2R. You can do a manual search and learn from other's mistakes. There are also articles written by members on all sorts of topics. In addition, if you want to learn about, say, Ich, you could bounce to the Disease Sub-forum and take a look at the sticky threads; you'll find symptoms, treatment and other info at your fingertips.

Another thing you can do is just random clicking on issues that others are having currently. Read through and just soak it in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya brother. Compared to even 15 years ago, there is SO much more information out there now. So many new methods and so many new pieces of equipment to learn about.

BRSTv has a lot of good information in terms of beginner study. Just beware their propensity to upsell you on products. Those kinds of videos are pretty easily spotted and, if you have questions on something they are suggesting, just ask. They have good vids on skimmers, UV, Fleece Rollers etc. etc.

You'll also find a TON of good info on R2R. You can do a manual search and lesrn from other's mistakes. There are also articles written by members on all sorts of topics. In addition, if you want to learn about, say, Ich, you could bounce to the Disease Sub-forum and take a look at the sticky threads; you'll find symptoms, treatment and other info at your fingertips.

Another thing you can do is just random clicking on issues that others are having currently. Read through and just soak it in.
Super helpful!!! Thanks

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing to consider regarding the corals seemingly not growing: They can take a long time to get used to your tank. I have corals that did not grow for almost a year, and then they took off. If they are dying, the situation is different, but if they are not growing, patience can be helpful. Also, every change you make may prolong the time it takes the corals to adjust. Now, if your parameters a way off, you should try to get them to an acceptable range, but too much change can create other problems. And some corals just die, I managed to kill two Xenias and a Green Start polyp (which initially grew like crazy), as well as several Zoas and some other corals over time. But since all other corals did fine, I did not change anything, as I did not want to endanger my many corals to save one (to quote Spock: "Logic clearly dictates the need of the many outweighs the need of the few").

Also, I have 0 phosphate and around 3 nitrate (per Salifert tests) in my 65g, and my softies, LPS, and SPS are doing very well.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to jump in and confuse the OP but you said .5 nitrates in the original post which maybe why more people said to bump up nitrates.

Normal range of nitrates are 3 to 20 anything else is consider an outlier not saying its wrong its just a different method of the standard known success. Then you mentioned brown algae which can happen at close to 0 nitrates and phosphates.

Then you realized it was green so those answers to fix it weren't 100% accurate.

10.5 alk pretty high for alk even though in range. 310 really low for calcium out of range. Whats the magnesium level? Also on my 10 gallon qt tank I have to add almost a full red cup of rodi for evaporation everyday are you topping it off couple times a week or almost everyday.

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to jump in and confuse the OP but you said .5 nitrates in the original post which maybe why more people said to bump up nitrates.

Normal range of nitrates are 3 to 20 anything else is consider an outlier not saying its wrong its just a different method of the standard known success. Then you mentioned brown algae which can happen at close to 0 nitrates and phosphates.

Then you realized it was green so those answers to fix it weren't 100% accurate.

10.5 alk pretty high for alk even though in range. 310 really low for calcium out of range. Whats the magnesium level? Also on my 10 gallon qt tank I have to add almost a full red cup of rodi for evaporation everyday are you topping it off couple times a week or almost everyday.
My all was low at around a 6, so I dosed that for a while thinking that was the issue. I don’t have a magnesium test, will pick one up next trip to lfs. And funnily enough, my ATO had just broken one day before I made the post, so the new one is on it’s way.

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone- Im SUPER embarrassed to say this, but the nitrate was 5.0 not 0.5. the power of a typo!!! Is this still as much of a concern/cause for my problem?

-about to test calcium again

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a pattern here keep doing what your doing but keep parameters stable testing once or twice a week. Buy a hardy frag and watch that fish. Dont chase a new style just keep parameters stable. I think you keep chasing things when in reality your having problems with stability and too much change. Youll get your rhythm soon. We all lost frags early on.

Coral beauty angelfish are considered tentatively reef-safe, but they can occasionally nip at corals, especially soft ones. They are omnivores and should be kept away from your most prized corals.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One blade grow is not near enough IMHO. Add a glow and you'll have more par and the corals will thank you. It's amazing to actually see how much par your light is actually not putting out until you own a quality par meter and can map your tank out. What I thought was high par in my tank turned out to barely fit the 75-150 par range after testing it. A real eye opener once checked.

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see it mentioned but you have a good sized skimmer running 24/7 I’m guessing and it looks like you maybe have one fish? I would turn the skimmer off, add some more fish and yes maybe adding another blade is out of the budget if that’s the case I’d try and maybe pick up a noop shyc or NICREW something along those lines one blade seems bare minimum I’m sure it’ll suffice for a bit but I would definitely try and add something else as well. I’m trying to keep my nutrients at ~10 ppm nitrate and .07-.1 ppm phosphate and since I’ve gotten to these levels and held them for a few weeks everything is the tank is looking great which brings me back to the skimmer I’d say you have quite awhile to go before you need that skimmer especially on 24 hours a day I have 10 fish in a 40 gal and only just started using a skimmer. I think getting nutrients in the tank will turn things around for you quick like

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question: how old is the tank? TIME is the best parameter, imo. Judging from the rocks (assume you started with dry rocks?) the tank is at least 3-5mos in and no more uglies? Once you get coralline algae growing, you can even add SPS. Not a rule but softies don't really care much about alk/ca/mg/no3/po4 tbh, at least mine don't. My lagoon tank runs with these parameters all out of whack and softies / LPS grow like weeds! The tank is 1.5yo and some rocks are 10+ years old.

SPS: that's a different story...
GSP: this one is weird -- mine used to grow like crazy that I couldn't kill them fast enough. Now it won't even grow at all! lol

edit: "out of whack" meaning my no3/po4 are elevated -- 75+/1.25, respectively.

Last edited:
OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see it mentioned but you have a good sized skimmer running 24/7 I’m guessing and it looks like you maybe have one fish? I would turn the skimmer off, add some more fish and yes maybe adding another blade is out of the budget if that’s the case I’d try and maybe pick up a noop shyc or NICREW something along those lines one blade seems bare minimum I’m sure it’ll suffice for a bit but I would definitely try and add something else as well. I’m trying to keep my nutrients at ~10 ppm nitrate and .07-.1 ppm phosphate and since I’ve gotten to these levels and held them for a few weeks everything is the tank is looking great which brings me back to the skimmer I’d say you have quite awhile to go before you need that skimmer especially on 24 hours a day I have 10 fish in a 40 gal and only just started using a skimmer. I think getting nutrients in the tank will turn things around for you quick like
Haha, I’m assuming you read my build thread- it’s not updated. I have around 7 fish and yes my skimmer runs 24 hours but I recently turned it down significantly.

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question: how old is the tank? TIME is the best parameter, imo. Judging from the rocks (assume you started with dry rocks?) the tank is at least 3-5mos in and no more uglies? Once you get coralline algae growing, you can even add SPS. Not a rule but softies don't really care much about alk/ca/mg/no3/po4 tbh, at least mine don't. My lagoon tank runs with these parameters all out of whack and softies / LPS grow like weeds! The tank is 1.5yo and some rocks are 10+ years old.

SPS: that's a different story...
GSP: this one is weird -- mine used to grow like crazy that I couldn't kill them fast enough. Now it won't even grow at all! lol

edit: "out of whack" meaning my no3/po4 are elevated -- 75+/1.25, respectively.
The tank is around 7 months old- (I really need to update my build thread. I’ll make a big update with multiple posts over the months I missed soon.) and I don’t really see too much coraline. There is some that came in with the frags on the frag plugs that’s survived (maybe spread a little bit)- but no new growth that I can see. Also- I started with live rock.

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I’m assuming you read my build thread- it’s not updated. I have around 7 fish and yes my skimmer runs 24 hours but I recently turned it down significantly.
No just read this post. I was judging off the pics which now I see a clown in the back I’m still leaning towards skimmer stripping your water. Have you considered dosing nitrate and phosphate?

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just read this post. I was judging off the pics which now I see a clown in the back I’m still leaning towards skimmer stripping your water. Have you considered dosing nitrate and phosphate?
Before I dose, I’m slowly trying to get my nutrients up by feeding more and skimming less. If this doesn’t give me the results I want, I’ll definitely dose.

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone-

After doing some research over the past couple days I think I’ve boiled my problem down to stability. That, and a lack of testing. Obviously, I’ll raise my nitrates and phos as well as try the other suggestions, but I don’t really think I’ve been putting the time into this tank that I should have. I’m gonna lock in and fix it though! I already downloaded a testing journal onto my phone where I can make sure my params don’t swing. I really do want this tank to look good and I know if I just put more time in, it will.

Everyone has been super helpful and I’ll still take any pieces of advice/information that you can give me regarding my situation!!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back