Corals not growing and I don’t know why?!?

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I’m having some troubles with the corals in my 65g tank. It’s my first reef, so keep in mind I’m fairly new to this.

None of my corals seem to be growing, and I’m really lost as to why. I have lost two corals (Kenya tree and Duncan) for unknown reasons. Other than those, I have some zoas, clove polyps, and two pieces of Gsp. Oddly enough the Gsp seem to be doing the worst and seems to be melting.

Tank info:
Filtration - I do bi weekly water changes of 10 gallons. I have a sump with a bubble magus curve 5 elite protein skimmer which has been running for a month
Lighting - one AI blade grow
Flow Sicce voyager

Some theories I have are:

stability of my params - it could be that I don’t test enough and my params are swinging too much? Would this really cause this much trouble?

Algae - specifically for the Gsp, I’ve noticed some brown algae growth on the rock up against it, but it’s not as much as any of the posts I look at about algae killing corals.

Another contaminant I can’t test for - should I do one of those mail in test thingys?

Overall, I’ve spent a lot of money and time on these corals and it’s frustrating to see them not growing as much as I hoped.

Any help is appreciated

Params:
Salinity 1.026
Temp - 77.8
Ammonia - > 0.25
Nitrate - 0.5
pH - 8.2
Alkalinity - 10.5
Calcium - 310
Phosphate - 0

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I’m having some troubles with the corals in my 65g tank. It’s my first reef, so keep in mind I’m fairly new to this.

None of my corals seem to be growing, and I’m really lost as to why. I have lost two corals (Kenya tree and Duncan) for unknown reasons. Other than those, I have some zoas, clove polyps, and two pieces of Gsp. Oddly enough the Gsp seem to be doing the worst and seems to be melting.

Tank info:
Filtration - I do bi weekly water changes of 10 gallons. I have a sump with a bubble magus curve 5 elite protein skimmer which has been running for a month
Lighting - one AI blade grow
Flow Sicce voyager

Some theories I have are:

stability of my params - it could be that I don’t test enough and my params are swinging too much? Would this really cause this much trouble?

Algae - specifically for the Gsp, I’ve noticed some brown algae growth on the rock up against it, but it’s not as much as any of the posts I look at about algae killing corals.

Another contaminant I can’t test for - should I do one of those mail in test thingys?

Overall, I’ve spent a lot of money and time on these corals and it’s frustrating to see them not growing as much as I hoped.

Any help is appreciated

Params:
Salinity 1.026
Temp - 77.8
Ammonia - > 0.25
Nitrate - 0.5
pH - 8.2
Alkalinity - 10.5
Calcium - 310
Phosphate - 0
Nitrate is way too low for corals like GSP. They like it dirty. I’d aim to get above 30. Also 0 phosphates is too low. Feed more and water change less.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you measured the par level? I'm thinking perhaps low light.

Only one sicce voyager in a 65, how strong is it?

Nutrients are very low, almost zero.

Low light low flow and low nutrients means low growth. Give them light, flow, and nutrients, and they will grow.

Sumbub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do any water changes when your duncan and kenyan tree perished? Could be going through a mini cycle. @stewy14 is right. Feed some more to get nitrates and phosphates up. Parameters down in the dumps isn't good.

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the responses! I will definitely try to kick up the feeding, and maybe switch to one water changes a month.

Only one sicce voyager in a 65, how strong is it?
- it is fairly strong, I think it’s one of the bigger models of voyager.

As for lighting, because it is such an expensive fix to buy another blade I will definitely try getting my nutrients up first.

Do you think it might be worth turning down my skimmer? Would that be removing nitrates / phos?

Also, is more nitrates correlated to more algae growth? If not, what is? I could pick up some more clean up crew if so.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to identify the type of algae, different algae have different remedie. Since you mention brown algae we need to make sure it’s not dino’s, that’s a more serious type of algae. Dino’s would have an impact on coral growth for sure, it’s very serious.

If you can take a picture in white lights we can identify that for you.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium 310? Are you sure that is correct?. What salt brand are you using?

How often do you test? Alk swings are bad.

How long has the tank been up and running?

Do you have any full tank shots?

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium 310? Are you sure that is correct?. What salt brand are you using?

How often do you test? Alk swings are bad.

How long has the tank been up and running?

Do you have any full tank shots?
Yes the calcium came out as 310 ppm, and I use Red Sea coral pro salt

I plan to test one to two times a week, probably more for nitrate/phos

The tank has been up for around 8 months!!

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my full tank shots (lights were off so the corals are closed)

Now that I see the algae under whites it is definitely green haha. Sorry for the scare

Attachments

• IMG_2861.jpeg
    IMG_2861.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2862.jpeg
    IMG_2862.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 114

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
310 calcium and a salinity of 1.026 do not add up. Either the salinity reading is wrong or the calcium test is wrong. I suspect the calcium test is.

What methods do you use to to measure each?

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
310 calcium and a salinity of 1.026 do not add up. Either the salinity reading is wrong or the calcium test is wrong. I suspect the calcium test is.

What methods do you use to to measure each?
I am quite certain on the salinity reading, as it has measured at that with two separate tools.

I'll test calcium again tomorrow

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you've got multiple potential issues. Your Ca kit is one of the better ones and for ALK and NO3, Hanna Checkers are the way to go IMO.

Now, I'm not trying to harsh you out, but,.for me, there is one glaring issue. Your knowledge base. While your issues are being sorted out, I'd recommend you start reading up on the basics. Acceptable parameter levels and what they mean, coral requirements (for that which you lost and whst remains, the function of a skimmer, getting information as to your in-tank flow (make and model of your powerhead(s), etc.).

I realize there is a steep learning curve, but this would be a good time to start some serious study. I was in your boat 15 years ago when I entered the hobby with zero knowledge. It did not do me any favors. With my next build (and a 12 year hiatus), I'll have had well over a year of study before I even start.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of API tests, but in theory it should work for calcium tests. I would double check your instructions/reference manual and verify you're doing it properly. Verify also the expiration date on it. If you're still getting a 310 ppm reading, I would suggest bringing it into a LFS and have them verify or buy a new test. (I like red sea).
Do you have a chart of the calcium levels? Was it ever anything but 310?

Couple things I noticed. It looks like the powerhead is blasting those rocks... Are the corals getting hit by the direct blast?

Is there any coraline algae growing?

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of API tests, but in theory it should work for calcium tests. I would double check your instructions/reference manual and verify you're doing it properly. Verify also the expiration date on it. If you're still getting a 310 ppm reading, I would suggest bringing it into a LFS and have them verify or buy a new test. (I like red sea).
Do you have a chart of the calcium levels? Was it ever anything but 310?

Couple things I noticed. It looks like the powerhead is blasting those rocks... Are the corals getting hit by the direct blast?

Is there any coraline algae growing?
I’ll double check as soon as I get home.

It does look like the power head is blasting the rocks, but the rock is actually closer to the camera than the power head, so it’s not getting nearly as much flow as it looks.

And no, there isn’t any coraline

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to calibrate your refractometer? These can become uncalibrated fairly easily your salinity may not be accurate.
I am using RODI water, but I’ve had some people tell me to use a hydrometer. Would this be a good option?

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you've got multiple potential issues. Your Ca kit is one of the better ones and for ALK and NO3, Hanna Checkers are the way to go IMO.

Now, I'm not trying to harsh you out, but,.for me, there is one glaring issue. Your knowledge base. While your issues are being sorted out, I'd recommend you start reading up on the basics. Acceptable parameter levels and what they mean, coral requirements (for that which you lost and whst remains, the function of a skimmer, getting information as to your in-tank flow (make and model of your powerhead(s), etc.).

I realize there is a steep learning curve, but this would be a good time to start some serious study. I was in your boat 15 years ago when I entered the hobby with zero knowledge. It did not do me any favors. With my next build (and a 12 year hiatus), I'll have had well over a year of study before I even start.
Every time I think I have a firm grasp on the basics, someone tells me something different lol. For example I thought 5 nitrate was a good place to be, but turns out easy corals like it dirty! I’ve been super busy in the past few months and my tank hasn’t really been getting the attention it needs, but I’m stepping it up and trying to dial in on the hobby. Do you have any recommendations as to where I can find a good bad of general info? Everything seems to be scattered throughout the internet lol.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back