Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so heres my situation, i have a 10 gallon tank with one clown and i want to get some corals but first i want to get coraline in my tank. the question is do you thing coraline will grow my tank is 3 weeks old and fully cycled.

params
salinity 1.024
temp 74 degrees
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
ammonia none recognized

the conditions are perfect for my little clown as he is thriving but is the tank ready for corals/coraline?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Remos reefs

Remos reefs

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so heres my situation, i have a 10 gallon tank with one clown and i want to get some corals but first i want to get coraline in my tank. the question is do you thing coraline will grow my tank is 3 weeks old and fully cycled.

params
salinity 1.024
temp 74 degrees
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
ammonia none recognized

the conditions are perfect for my little clown as he is thriving but is the tank ready for corals/coraline?
What is you calcium and alkalinity?
alk is 300
i dont know calcium though

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alk is 300
i dont know calcium though
You're alkalinity isn't 300, what test kit are you using? Until you get your calcium up and over 420 PPM and alkalinity around 9 plus adding Coraline spores like purple helix or some scrapings off of somebody's tank that has the purple Coraline growing you're really not going to have anything growing. Your tank is way way too new for that stuff to start growing. Also it really loves deep Blue actinic lighting.

My advice, get yourself some good testing gear and get the tank matured and feel free to add a few Coral in and then just let the tank do its thing and mature. In all honesty that is as real as it's going to get.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

params
salinity 1.024
temp 74 degrees
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
ammonia none recognized

Youll be waiting quite a while and it takes certain conditions to get it to establish. I assume with nitrite mentioned you are using API test kits and will be the worse guidance to rely on due to frequent false readings.
You will need to establish and maintain:
Good and steady lighting
Calcium - 400-425
Alk 8-11

BRS
OP
OP
Remos reefs

Remos reefs

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll be waiting quite a while and it takes certain conditions to get it to establish. I assume with nitrite mentioned you are using API test kits and will be the worse guidance to rely on due to frequent false readings.
You will need to establish and maintain:
Good and steady lighting
Calcium - 400-425
Alk 8-11
You're alkalinity isn't 300, what test kit are you using? Until you get your calcium up and over 420 PPM and alkalinity around 9 plus adding Coraline spores like purple helix or some scrapings off of somebody's tank that has the purple Coraline growing you're really not going to have anything growing. Your tank is way way too new for that stuff to start growing. Also it really loves deep Blue actinic lighting.

My advice, get yourself some good testing gear and get the tank matured and feel free to add a few Coral in and then just let the tank do its thing and mature. In all honesty that is as real as it's going to get.
my alk is 16.8 dkh

JCM

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't agree that alk needs to be 9+, nor do I agree that it prefers blue lighting. I do agree OP should get trusted testing equipment and let the tank mature.

my alk is 16.8 dkh

That is way too high.

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d bring the alk down too. I like mine between 8.6-9 ppm. As stable as possible but in that range. Coraline will come in on invert shells, and coral frag plugs and such. As long as your parameters are suitable for corals you can add them anytime in my opinion. Sps needs more stability but soft corals and some lps would be ideal for the first additions

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree that alk needs to be 9+, nor do I agree that it prefers blue lighting. I do agree OP should get trusted testing equipment and let the tank mature.

That is way too high.

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back