Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i got it it was all shocking green, now it has only a few patches of that green, should i give him more white light? Or more aminoacids?
I have a lominie asta20 that have 4 channels: channel 1 green, red, uv and white leds, channel 2 blue led, channel 3 white led and channel 4 royal blue.
I had it channel 1 at 30%, channel 2 at 80%, channel 3 at 20% and channel 4 at 80%.
Today i tried putting it 1 at 80%, 2 at 100%, 3 at 0% and 4 at 100%.
The other rhodactis still has the same color so it’s only this one, could be also stress? Maybe too much flow?
B86B33FC-44AC-4829-9929-193CF399FFAE.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

FreshSaltH2o

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting was used before being placed in your tank? As stated above there are a lot of contributing factors that could cause any coral to decline in health. Mimicking the previous owner or shops location in tank lighting flow ect could help.

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what should i do now? Crank up the light and see if it get better? If not trying to change the place?
I do weekly wc of 20% and i dose phyto and a little aminoacids.
Try not to keep making adjustments. One thing at a time and wait at least a week to see the results. Also a loss of color will take longer than a week to see the results. It seems like you add a bunch of nutrients to the tank, but a 20% weekly Wc seems like a lot if you have good filtration. What is your phos and nitrate looking like? Be sure to use good testing equipment when testing these numbers like nyos or Red Sea for nitrate and a Hannah ulr for phos. If nitrate is too low that could be an issue.

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not to keep making adjustments. One thing at a time and wait at least a week to see the results. Also a loss of color will take longer than a week to see the results. It seems like you add a bunch of nutrients to the tank, but a 20% weekly Wc seems like a lot if you have good filtration. What is your phos and nitrate looking like? Be sure to use good testing equipment when testing these numbers like nyos or Red Sea for nitrate and a Hannah ulr for phos. If nitrate is too low that could be an issue.
Also if you’re concerned about light. You can get a seneye par meter on eBay right now for 150$

OP
OP
Rirule

Rirule

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting was used before being placed in your tank?
I bought it online and they stated that it was under a 22000 k light, nothing more, i can try and ask. Mine is almost half of that (12000 k).

but a 20% weekly Wc seems like a lot if you have good filtration
I have a canister filter with a pre-filter but no skimmer, i have some macroalgae.
My nitrate were very high (we’re talking about 50ppm but I don’t trust that kit), it’s like two weeks that i don’t test anything, when i get home I’ll do some test with ipt kit.
I have 3 discosoma and another rhodactis that doesn’t have problems.

Last edited:

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it online and they stated that it was under a 22000 k light, nothing more, i can try and ask. Mine is almost half of that (12000 k).

I have a canister filter with a pre-filter but no skimmer, i have some macroalgae.
My nitrate were very high (we’re talking about 50ppm), it’s like two weeks that i don’t test anything, when i get home I’ll do some test with ipt kit.
I have 3 discosoma and another rhodactis that doesn’t have problems.
Well it seems like u have plenty of nutrients and your other corals are fine. To me it seems like the new coral just needs time to adjust. I know some people use t5s and most hobbyists will probably be using led. The change between the two could be what you’re seeing. If it is a mushroom they like lower light really. Do you acclimate it by starting it at the bottom of your tank?

OP
OP
Rirule

Rirule

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you acclimate it by starting it at the bottom of your tank?
Yes, you can’t see it in the photo but it’s a rock at the bottom of the tank. I have this one for like 2 weeks and he is still there, the only one that moved out on it’s own is a discosoma.
This is the photo the first day in the tank
436565EC-B9B0-4362-93BC-1A33264D6A1B.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can’t see it in the photo but it’s a rock at the bottom of the tank. I have this one for like 2 weeks and he is still there, the only one that moved out on it’s own is a discosoma.
This is the photo the first day in the tank
View attachment 3025243
Excessive nutrients tend to darken and brown corals. Just try to lower those nitrates if you can. Take it slow. Just do a couple of water changes maybe a 10% Wc every 2 days for a week and then wait another week and see if there’s any improvement. 50ppm nitrate is a bit high and high nutrients cause zooxanthellae to overpopulate and it will darken corals.

T-J

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what should i do now? Crank up the light and see if it get better? If not trying to change the place?
My philosophy is to just let corals do their thing. If the coral is happy and growing, then I let it go. I won't chase numbers or other settings because one has a color shift. Most of my corals have had a color shift of some sort over time. Some have shifted several times.

OP
OP
Rirule

Rirule

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excessive nutrients
I just now did some test, apparently my nitrate are now low, under 5 ppm, maybe the macroalgae are doing their work or i don’t know how could they get so low in under 1-2 weeks, so my problem could be low nutrients now?!
won't chase numbers
Im not one that chase numbers, but it’s my first time with corals and i don’t want to be a bad corals father ahahah

Top Shelf Aquatics

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting was used before being placed in your tank? As stated above there are a lot of contributing factors that could cause any coral to decline in health. Mimicking the previous owner or shops location in tank lighting flow ect could help.

A color change doesn't mean its declining in health

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more you change the light, the more likely you are going to irritate and stress the corals. Just let it be as its not worth it to make changes to the tank which could stress all of the corals. This happens all the time with corals as its a normal response to environmental differences (usually light and, to a much lesser degree, some trace elements, from my understanding).

MexiReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the coral looks happy and health, then just enjoy the color transition. There is no way to accomodate individual corals preferences to match the coloration saw in LFS, instagram, etc. just my two cents

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Corals.com
Back