+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Collogues

Can you help me identifying the coral from the picture ( tree like ). I got it from a friend as he told me that this coral is growing rather fast and he did not have enough space in his 50L tank.

Second questioned. My caulastrea curvata is becoming smaller and smaller in the last weeks. It is not pumping at all. I have 1 month old tank. NO3 is still high. In some spots it has already almost disappeared. Light which I have is Fluval Nano Marine LED 20W and a slim LED bar which is 4W. Tomorrow I am getting another Fluval Nano Marine LED 20W. Any suggestions what might be wrong.

Thank you for your comments.

20221122_105442.jpg

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the trumpet coral been doing poorly since the gorg was added? Gorgs are pretty brutal to lps corals and sps corals. Especially one that big and thriving. If you can, move the trumpet to the other side of the tank (up flow from gorg), run carbon, and may need to bring it down in the column a bit. Mine like a bit less flow and less light. They hate algae though. I do not see that issue in your photo.

AS
OP
OP
S

SajmonPL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the trumpet coral been doing poorly since the gorg was added? Gorgs are pretty brutal to lps corals and sps corals. Especially one that big and thriving. If you can, move the trumpet to the other side of the tank (up flow from gorg), run carbon, and may need to bring it down in the column a bit. Mine like a bit less flow and less light. They hate algae though. I do not see that issue in your photo.
It was getting worst and worst every week. Grog has been inside my tank since last Saturday so it is fairly new.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was getting worst and worst every week. Grog has been inside my tank since last Saturday so it is fairly new.
Test, test all water parameters.
Down to the sg., no3, po4, alk, cal, mag.
Not api test kits. What kits do you have?
What lights are you running and flow?
This is not from the gargonian. This is either bad parameter or new tank in general.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

SajmonPL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test, test all water parameters.
Down to the sg., no3, po4, alk, cal, mag.
Not api test kits. What kits do you have?
What lights are you running and flow?
This is not from the gargonian. This is either bad parameter or new tank in general.
NO3 is between 100 and 50 mg/l. PO4 I did not check. NO2 is close to 0 mg/l. Currently I have NO2 and NO3 tests. I am currently using Fluval Sea Marine Nano Bluetooth LED 20W and a LED Slim bar 4W. Today I should receive another Fluval Sea Marine Nano Bluetooth LED 20W. Regarding flow I have a standard cascade filter with ceramics inside. I also have flow pump 900l/h and redstarfish sq 50 skimmer. The tank is 1 month old so maybe this is the problem.

OP
OP
S

SajmonPL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like could be placement (flow, light) or could also be food. Do you feed it or the tank? What are the nitrates at and phosphates?
I have placed Caulastrea curvata on the bottom to see the reaction. I do not feed it. I only feed my clown fish once a day. NO3 is still high between 100-50 mg/l.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have placed Caulastrea curvata on the bottom to see the reaction. I do not feed it. I only feed my clown fish once a day. NO3 is still high between 100-50 mg/l.
50 to 100 for NO3 is very high.
I'm not quite sure on those lights how deep is your water? The lights seem a little weak to me but again I'm not sure on that.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know leds well. Mine are under T5s and about midway in the tank. That is a high nitrate, but these guys like good nutrients. Maybe not that high though. Try keep it to 20-30. Try feeding some coral foods twice a week. You can put a bottle over them and put food into it and leave for hour or so. After lights off is usually best.
I hope they recover. When healthy, they will multiply nicely.

OP
OP
S

SajmonPL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 to 100 for NO3 is very high.
I'm not quite sure on those lights how deep is your water? The lights seem a little weak to me but again I'm not sure on that.
My tank is 35cm ( 13,8 inch ) x 35cm ( 13,8 inch ) x 40cm ( 15,7 inch ) - 49L ( 12,9 gal ). I have read somewhere that in such tank 1-2 Watt per liter is needed. With tanks more than 100L ( 26gal ) 0.5-1 Watt is needed. Now I have 44 Watts in total and actually I have something like 43-44 liters in my tank as 49 liters will be the whole space. These two 20W are special lights dedicated for corals, at least that what is said in product description folder.

World Wide Corals

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Collogues

Can you help me identifying the coral from the picture ( tree like ). I got it from a friend as he told me that this coral is growing rather fast and he did not have enough space in his 50L tank.

Second questioned. My caulastrea curvata is becoming smaller and smaller in the last weeks. It is not pumping at all. I have 1 month old tank. NO3 is still high. In some spots it has already almost disappeared. Light which I have is Fluval Nano Marine LED 20W and a slim LED bar which is 4W. Tomorrow I am getting another Fluval Nano Marine LED 20W. Any suggestions what might be wrong.

Thank you for your comments.

View attachment 2908425
Gorgonian. Also, that's an Astraeosmilia curvata, not caulastrea.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back