+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of this tank

agreed on water changes not the cause, we are up to page 54 in the sand rinse thread and it’s 100% changes even on big tanks

I’ve seen pouring back in water kick up waste from a dirty sandbed and that cause some harm, but not in a new five month old tank/ need to see pics of the tank full tank shot to see what stands out

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
melhe

melhe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a pic of this tank

agreed on water changes not the cause, we are up to page 54 in the sand rinse thread and it’s 100% changes even on big tanks

I’ve seen pouring back in water kick up waste from a dirty sandbed and that cause some harm, but not in a new five month old tank/ need to see pics of the tank full tank shot to see what stands out
Ok , will send photo tonight . Thank u for advice

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense but if you don’t know the difference between RODI and RO. Perhaps something like the moonshiners method is a bit too complex for you at this point in your journey in the hobby. You seem to have quite a bit of funding here for your little ventures. I’d stop throwing cash at the reef tank and just chill out and let it mature. Especially if you’re also paying someone to care for the tank. You going in and dumping stuff in behind their back could open up a litany of other problems
Oh no , they will be p..sed if I do moonshiner behind their back . I told them based on Pci result and dose recommendations. I will get approval from them before I start daily dosing . I read the moonshiner handbook twice sounds like fascinating . All the numbers are right . Some zoas colors are not as bright as when I just got them . I am wondering if it’s missing trace elements

Top Shelf Aquatics

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no , they will be p..sed if I do moonshiner behind their back . I told them based on Pci result and dose recommendations. I will get approval from them before I start daily dosing . I read the moonshiner handbook twice sounds like fascinating . All the numbers are right . Some zoas colors are not as bright as when I just got them . I am wondering if it’s missing trace elements

The moonshiner method is fine and have done it myself in the past so not speaking out against it. However just going to say that minor differences with trace elements is not going to cause what you described. At best the moonshiner method is a way to maximize growth and color, but it is not going to fix whatever caused your coral death... especially in a tank you are already dosing AFR and doing frequent water changes. All your key parameters were in line.

On a side note your house sounds amazing with the reef tank, the cichlid tank, the discus tank. You got a spare room?

OP
OP
melhe

melhe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The moonshiner method is fine and have done it myself in the past so not speaking out against it. However just going to say that minor differences with trace elements is not going to cause what you described. At best the moonshiner method is a way to maximize growth and color, but it is not going to fix whatever caused your coral death... especially in a tank you are already dosing AFR and doing frequent water changes. All your key parameters were in line.

On a side note your house sounds amazing with the reef tank, the cichlid tank, the discus tank. You got a spare room?
Lol . My house like a zoo , I have 7 dogs too . Plus seahorse tank and Axolatos tanks and selldweller tank too . I guess tank maintenance company wants to make sure they has something to do when in my house .

i agree with u must be some undelyijg issues causing coral distress . I’ll take some photos today after work and let’s see if we can figure out what’s going on

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
melhe

melhe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank condition.
37780B7A-8C67-4680-8D85-8153EA18C462.jpeg
1A659B4F-3A4C-41EF-B5AE-A78167641CAB.jpeg
DAB527D7-4A1E-4E34-AD9F-4EAFBC129528.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back