Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has any ever get a false reading from a hanna checker, have 600 gallon tank 2 months ago use copper power decided to use copper safe due to paRASITE KEEPS COMING BACK. Days before adding copper safe I use sachem Clarity due to water cloudy, ran skimmer and uv and did a 30% water change before adding copper safe. Well added 1 bottle this morning which states for 367 gallons ran hanna test and reading came back 5.00. Very dark purple. anyone have any Ideas!

CLICK TO VIEW

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has any ever get a false reading from a hanna checker, have 600 gallon tank 2 months ago use copper power decided to use copper safe due to paRASITE KEEPS COMING BACK. Days before adding copper safe I use sachem Clarity due to water cloudy, ran skimmer and uv and did a 30% water change before adding copper safe. Well added 1 bottle this morning which states for 367 gallons ran hanna test and reading came back 5.00. Very dark purple. anyone have any Ideas!
Given the history I think it's maybe time for you to bite the bullet and treat the fish in a tank without any rock/substrate and leave the DT fallow for 72 days.

Get rid of the problem once and for all.

Ich can hide in substrate and rocks, and treatment in the DT is quite hit and miss.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Use the test kit results. I have a sneaky feeling you may have overdosed
The clarifier may have dissolved the bonders in the copper causing number to rise.
we’ve seen others use recommended m/l or drops which was too much
Was this cupramine or coppersafe?
I have seen false results but it is rare

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
P

puccie1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the test kit results. I have a sneaky feeling you may have overdosed
The clarifier may have dissolved the binders in the copper causing number to rise.
we’ve seen others use recommended m/l or drops which was too much
Was this cupramine or coppersafe?
Coppersafe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you test the tank BEFORE adding the coppersafe? Copper Power is very long-lived in aquariums. If you dosed it 2 months ago, the level of it will have only dropped by the amount of water changes you have done since then (30%?) then, if you add that amount to the amount of coppersafe in a full dose, you will get an overdose situation: 2 ppm - 30% + 2.5 ppm coppersafe = 3.9 ppm

I looked up the SDS for Clarity. It is just a flocculating agent. As such, it should not affect copper medications like their Prime product will.

Jay

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
P

puccie1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test the tank BEFORE adding the coppersafe? Copper Power is very long-lived in aquariums. If you dosed it 2 months ago, the level of it will have only dropped by the amount of water changes you have done since then (30%?) then, if you add that amount to the amount of coppersafe in a full dose, you will get an overdose situation: 2 ppm - 30% + 2.5 ppm coppersafe = 3.9 ppm

I looked up the SDS for Clarity. It is just a flocculating agent. As such, it should not affect copper medications like their Prime product will.

Jay
Four out of the copper safe it’s been about two months since I use copper power and I get to water changes about 2530%. I want to hear the conversation I’ll check for copper give me the reading in the time. Thank you for the information.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four out of the copper safe it’s been about two months since I use copper power and I get to water changes about 2530%. I want to hear the conversation I’ll check for copper give me the reading in the time. Thank you for the information.
Also realize that having your skimmer on - may have lowered copper some as well. You are likely going to need more water changes. i.e. if the level is at 5, to get to 2.5 you will need to do a 50 % water change

OP
OP
P

puccie1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also realize that having your skimmer on - may have lowered copper some as well. You are likely going to need more water changes. i.e. if the level is at 5, to get to 2.5 you will need to do a 50 % water change
This is weird I did a 120 gallon water change on my 600 tank last night when it read 5.00 just now did a recheck with Hanna and got 1.17. Docent make sense!

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is weird I did a 120 gallon water change on my 600 tank last night when it read 5.00 just now did a recheck with Hanna and got 1.17. Docent make sense!
Sounds like a previous false reading especially if copper was just added. What is expiration date for your reagents?

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
2027 want thank you for helping me with info on this, any suggestions on going forward. Thanks Carl
One suggestion: With mixed readings you've had, Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use Api copper test and have them test for you and see what they come up with and to compare with your readings.

BRS

fishyjoes

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a high "false reading" with copper power just last week due to procedure error on my part.
I used a 10ml glass dropper to add some copper power, then used the same dropper to fill my hanna test cylinder.
There was residual copper inside the dropper which caused me to have a very high reading. After rinsing the dropper I got a more believable result

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back