Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my QT tank has been running for a while now with two fish, a royal gramma and a bi-color blenny. The HOB filter just died on me so I'm waiting for a powerhead to replace it in a couple days. However, my ammonia levels on the alert badge have been worryingly high in the green zone and I've noticed my royal gramma has been behaving strangely like swimming very lethargically. I want to do a 5 gallon water change but I'm not sure how to balance the metronidazole which I need to dose every two days. I know about copper in water changes but I'm not sure if metronidazole works the same way? Any suggestions?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perform the water change asap and probably more than 50%... just match the copper levels to stay above therapeutic for now. Don't worry about the Metrodonizole levels. You can dose another dose after the water change. Removing the ammonia is more important right now. Metrodonizole isn't like copper, there isn't a therapeutic level that must be maintained. I believe the half life of that need must be only 48hrs since that's when it's recommended to dose again.

Idoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish doesn't peek back up after a day or so, then you may need to abort the copper treatment as well. So, be ready with another big batch of fresh saltwater.

BRS
OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish doesn't peek back up after a day or so, then you may need to abort the copper treatment as well. So, be ready with another big batch of fresh saltwater.
I tried the water change and now I don't know. I'm not sure if the royal gramma will make it which is very disappointing. They're starting to drift around on their side with the current with only the occasional tail flick. The blenny seems to be doing alright for now. Idk. Added another sponge filter. I'm not getting my hopes up but yeah...

Idoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the water change and now I don't know. I'm not sure if the royal gramma will make it which is very disappointing. They're starting to drift around on their side with the current with only the occasional tail flick. The blenny seems to be doing alright for now. Idk. Added another sponge filter. I'm not getting my hopes up but yeah...
I would abort the copper treatment as well for the ones not looking good. The stress of the ammonia and copper may be too much for them to overcome. If you have Methylene Blue, you could try that... some say that helps with ammonia burn on their gills.

If they are just blowing around with the current, it may be too late.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would abort the copper treatment as well for the ones not looking good. The stress of the ammonia and copper may be too much for them to overcome. If you have Methylene Blue, you could try that... some say that helps with ammonia burn on their gills.

If they are just blowing around with the current, it may be too late.
Yeah they didn't make it unfortunately. The bi-color blenny is still alive and seems generally unaffected so I'll continue the treatment for it. Gonna do another water change though and order some foam media and a replacement filter.

Idoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they didn't make it unfortunately. The bi-color blenny is still alive and seems generally unaffected so I'll continue the treatment for it. Gonna do another water change though and order some foam media and a replacement filter.
The ammonia must have really spiked. But, another thing to always keep in mind is that using antibiotics, such as Metrodonizole, can actually pull oxygen from the water as well. So, you may have had a double whammy on their gills. If using antibiotics, always have an airstone also running...or point a powerhead directly at the surface to increase oxygenation of the water.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back