Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company that takes care of my tank accidentally dosed my DT tank instead of my QT tank with copper. I noticed my anemones shriveling up when I got home last night and reached out to see what was happening and the owner called me back this morning to let me know his tech made the error. They remained in the tank for 24 hours at a copper level of 0.25. Is there any chance of survival? They are currently in a QT tank that was just setup yesterday. My odds are probably bad as one of them is a very large Ritteri.

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nutramar Foods

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The company that takes care of my tank accidentally dosed my DT tank instead of my QT tank with copper. I noticed my anemones shriveling up when I got home last night and reached out to see what was happening and the owner called me back this morning to let me know his tech made the error. They remained in the tank for 24 hours at a copper level of 0.25. Is there any chance of survival? They are currently in a QT tank that was just setup yesterday. My odds are probably bad as one of them is a very large Ritteri.
I don't know what the toxic level is for nems but I know the copper can be toxic at much lower levels than fish.

I would be "burping" them all, forcing them to expel the old water and new in a few times.

How are they looking in the HT?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
LivingSalty

LivingSalty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the toxic level is for nems but I know the copper can be toxic at much lower levels than fish.

I would be "burping" them all, forcing them to expel the old water and new in a few times.

How are they looking in the HT?
Like complete trash honestly. The owner took full responsibility and is willing to replace everything, but you get attached to things and I love my Ritteri. Accidents happen and I’m. It upset at all, just a crap situation to deal with.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
LivingSalty

LivingSalty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On top of the nems, I had three soft coral places yesterday that will all likely die as well, two sea urchins, a fire shrimp, and two emerald crabs. Hopefully the inverts will make it as I can’t get them out of the DT. They are hiding in the rocks.

OP
OP
LivingSalty

LivingSalty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did they come back and add carbon ,do major water change ?
No, and the reason being was because I needed the carbon to save my fish. I posted the other day about an ich outbreak and today I lost my black clown. He turned almost completely grayish white and was breathing rapidly. That’s why o setup a 90 gallon QT tank to move all the fish into. So at this point it’s either save the fish or the nems. My fish mean more..

Avast

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So sorry...you need to get the copper out asap and down to 0.

The display and rock will likely have copper in them for a while depending on how much they absorbed.

If you are going to keep using the display you will have to remove it somehow.

Running metasorb will help but I'm not sure if anyone has run it to completely remove copper.

Anyone have thoughts on full removal of copper other than a rip clean bleach and dry?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It is above Toxic level of copper ( 0.15–0.20 and above is toxic) and best recourse is Addition of Carbon after a 25% water change and have them come out ASAP which they should have done to begin with to verify absence of copper
Better yet would be to transfer anemone to a container of fresh saltwater that is assured to be copper free

OP
OP
LivingSalty

LivingSalty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The display and rock will likely have copper in them for a while depending on how much they absorbed.

Running metasorb will help but I'm not sure if anyone has run it to completely remove copper.

Anyone have thoughts on full removal of copper other than a rip clean bleach and dry?
This is my biggest fear is it ruining all of my rock. Even replacing the death of my nems and corals, or doesn’t account for the fact that my rock and sand are trashed. And at 200 pounds of rock for my DT tank, that’s a minimum of $2k for new rock.

World Wide Corals

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my biggest fear is it ruining all of my rock. Even replacing the death of my nems and corals, or doesn’t account for the fact that my rock and sand are trashed. And at 200 pounds of rock for my DT tank, that’s a minimum of $2k for new rock.
If you can do a 100% WC

After that run Cupisorb or metasorb and they will remove copper....Add some asap

I'd run them and test daily

Once copper is 0 you can pull the cupisorb or metasorb and keep testing.

I'm guessing you will have to put it back in for a little but to remove what is there In the rocks and silicone.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would 100% be planning for the owner to be replacing that.

I won't touch rock that has ever seen copper.

AquaCave Logo Banner

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't do as much as large water changes but will continue helping passively as long as it is charged up.

Top Shelf Aquatics

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've run cuprizorb in a reactor 2 weeks past testing zero, then run poly filter to check for minimal residual and mop up. I've done this technique with a few reefers that have established successful long term reefs afterwards.

OP
OP
LivingSalty

LivingSalty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully the service is insured, possibly replace all ?
I would believe so. Reputable guy in our area that runs a really good store. He’s been great to deal with on this matter, and I plan on having him install a 2000g tank into our new home build. He’s been nothing but honest during this but mentioned that we could run carbon to remove the copper? Is this accurate? I love reef tanks but know very little about keeping them up. We pick fish and corals we like by what my 6 year old sees at the fish store. We of course make sure they are compatible.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back