OP
Teeter

Teeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can think of several reasons why nitrate did not show when you dosed ammonia, and IMO, it reflect the problems of using nitrate as a gauge of cycling. Simple consumption and incorporation of the N into bacteria and other microorganisms and algae could explain why a few ppm ammonia didn't result in nitrate. :)
So if I’m understanding you correctly, the original ammonia was processed, but that nitrate was consumed by other microorganisms, rather than just staying in the water?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I’m understanding you correctly, the original ammonia was processed, but that nitrate was consumed by other microorganisms, rather than just staying in the water?

That is one possible explanation, although it need not be by "other" microorganisms. Expanding populations of any bacteria require that they incorporate N into their new tissues.

Test error is another possibility. :)

OP
OP
Teeter

Teeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one possible explanation, although it need not be by "other" microorganisms. Expanding populations of any bacteria require that they incorporate N into their new tissues.

Test error is another possibility. :)
Yeah test error was my first thought, that’s why I figured I should have an lfs test too, just to make sure I’m not reading it incorrectly. Tests that involve color comparison (so practically every consumer-level test kit outside of Hanna and controller probe readings) are a great challenge for me lol

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back