Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am completely new on fish tanks but I love fish and would like to give a try. I've seen this many beautiful saltwater/reef aquariums and I want one so much! I don't want to spend thousands of money in a glass tank as I don't have THAT experience yet. I was wondering if a 20 gallon tank is worth it or should I get a 40 gallon? I've seen the ones from Aqueon and Top Fin but also they have a lot of reviews claiming water leaking. Anybody has any advices?

Corals.com

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ferbzao welcome! I would go for the 40G since you‘ll have a lot more room than a 20. And as you’ll quickly learn water chemistry is important and a 40G allows you more leeway for mistakes etc since its more volume of water.

I’ll be interested to see what others say but as a first tank I’d also consider the All in Ones as they may not be “perfect” but I’ve seen amazing mixed reefs in them like the JBJ Nanocubes

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am completely new on fish tanks but I love fish and would like to give a try. I've seen this many beautiful saltwater/reef aquariums and I want one so much! I don't want to spend thousands of money in a glass tank as I don't have THAT experience yet. I was wondering if a 20 gallon tank is worth it or should I get a 40 gallon? I've seen the ones from Aqueon and Top Fin but also they have a lot of reviews claiming water leaking. Anybody has any advices?

Aqueon and Top Fin are an excellent choice. They are the only tanks I have ever used as they have both upper and lower frames which reinforce the tank. Tanks that leak are typically "rimless".

And as a new person to the hobby, I would suggest to you that the bigger the tank, the better as the volume of water is less susceptible to large swings in chemistry.

The Aqueon 40 gallon breeder tank is one of my favorite tanks.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ferbzao welcome! I would go for the 40G since you‘ll have a lot more room than a 20. And as you’ll quickly learn water chemistry is important and a 40G allows you more leeway for mistakes etc since its more volume of water.

I’ll be interested to see what others say but as a first tank I’d also consider the All in Ones as they may not be “perfect” but I’ve seen amazing mixed reefs in them like the JBJ Nanocubes
Agree, OP should go with a 40 breeder minimum. I like AIO's - my first was a 32 gallon Fluval Flex Marine. Loved it, but upgraded to a 75 gallon within a year, lol.

NkSde

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a 20gal Long

maintenance isn’t hard
20% water change with a 5 gallon bucket and minimal light needs

cost of entry wasn’t too bad and I have enough time to enjoy the fish w my kids which is what’s important

i would like another though probably go 60+ on the next one.

Attachments

• 03605F92-88A3-46EE-93EA-A1EEA8896B51.jpeg
    03605F92-88A3-46EE-93EA-A1EEA8896B51.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 14

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 33 long sitting on a 55gal petco stand

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only bad thing about bigger is cost. Especially lighting! Even “budget lighting” is pretty costly part of the build. Expect the lighting for a 40 breeder to be easily triple the cost of lighting a 20g tank. Also water movement cost will probably triple, yes even budget power heads worth a hoot are going to be costly. The amount of rock and sand you need is exponentially higher for a 40g alsoWith a 20g a 10% water changes is still doable with distilled water from grocery store. So with a 40 you’ll need an RODI which is expensive to get started. There’s also refractometers, test kits, salt, water change tool kit (extra heater, pump, hoses, buckets). Power strips/surge protectors, fish and coral food, things you’ll need to dose eventually.

yes the 20 will be harder to maintain and less forgiving. But if budget is your main limiting factor. There is no question that the 20g is the way to go. You also have to consider your expectations. Are you wanting all your equipment hidden and a very clean build? Or do you not care and you’re willing to throw everything in the display?

just a whole lot to consider. Once you start nickeling everything down. Expect to spend at least 1000 to get a 20g up and running.

Last edited:

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to give you an idea. I have a mid range 22g set up with a 10g sump and a home built stand.

I wouldn’t call it a budget build. But it’s also not a high end build either in any way shape or form.

I’m easily closing in on 3k dollars for everything. Not including livestock.

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at it differently. If I can learn to have a thriving 20 to 30 gallon reef. Then when I’m finally comfortable enough to spend 10 grand or more on a dream reef. There won’t be any doubt in my mind that I’m getting myself into something I won’t be able to handle. It’s a confidence builder in my opinion.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back