+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I’m new to salt and cannot find any informed answers

I’ve made a coconut frag rock/rack, I’m hoping to grow my Zoas of the plug and cover the shell. Hopefully will be a home to my goby also.

my question is why does nobody else do this?

I seasoned the shell in my freshwater tank first. I also did a test with a small bit of shell by placing it in the sump after being seasoned and after a month I saw no difference. The clarity of my water is still very clear and they are used in freshwater all the time.
I saw somewhere someone said not too as they breakdown and release calcium but wouldn’t that be a good thing for corals?

anyone have any explanations?

Orlin

E3A4DC83-D085-4808-ACE9-3940F2F71211.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
D’orlissimo

D’orlissimo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coconuts are easy to get hold of, easy to drill, cheap, make good caves for fish to hide. I think they look quite natural and as I said before it’s done a lot in freshwater, why not In salt?

do you know what else it could release?

Nutramar Foods

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coconuts are easy to get hold of, easy to drill, cheap, make good caves for fish to hide. I think they look quite natural and as I said before it’s done a lot in freshwater, why not In salt?

do you know what else it could release?
Organics. There is also no shortage out there of calcareous rock - that does not need to be replaced - is safe - and there is no question. I dont know what coconut shells are exposed to - you asked an opinion - the likelyhood is that they are fine - but - to a degree its the same reason we don't put driftwood pieces for frags in the tank - even though - they Line the beaches on much of the coast.

OP
OP
D’orlissimo

D’orlissimo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply’s, I’ve known about tannins as they come up in the freshwater chats but as far as I can tell they can just discolour the water, which it has not done so far.

there’s a video of clownfish moving a coconut and thought that’s cool, why not try coconut.

if I lived close to the sea I probably would have tried putting in drift wood.

thanks again for you reply’s

Corals.com

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply’s, I’ve known about tannins as they come up in the freshwater chats but as far as I can tell they can just discolour the water, which it has not done so far.

there’s a video of clownfish moving a coconut and thought that’s cool, why not try coconut.

if I lived close to the sea I probably would have tried putting in drift wood.

thanks again for you reply’s
Yes - there is no doubt that fish use them in the ocean. If you had a large enough tank - and a small coconut shell it would probably be fine.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back