Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing @ReefLife_Guy this is exactly what I have been looking for.

After many years of trying different setups for someone who travels a lot for work I have found that no protein skimmer is better then a extremely poorly maintained protein skimmer. Will definitely be trying this method.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Gatorpa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing @ReefLife_Guy this is exactly what I have been looking for.

After many years of trying different setups for someone who travels a lot for work I have found that no protein skimmer is better then a extremely poorly maintained protein skimmer. Will definitely be trying this method.
Why do you say this, and please explain what you mean by “poorly maintained skimmer” just curious of how you define that?

CLICK TO VIEW

jkon81

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re a lifesaver
Skimmerless CO2 Scrubber Build

I'm writing this build thread for a CO2 scrubber setup without the need for a skimmer since I had a difficult time finding anyone who had done this.

The plumbing is simple: air pump --> CO2 canister with sodalime --> an airstone placed in your sump or tank

View attachment 2712499

I will include the materials I used to build this but most of it can be substituted for what you already have or for something else. The only thing I will emphasize is to try and get an air pump with a similar strength and if it isn't adjustable, to add an inline adjustable airflow valve. This is important for 2 reasons: 1. you need sufficient airflow to push the air through the canister and into your airstone 2. being able to adjust the airflow will allow you to be able to use your sodalime in the most efficient way. I assume there is a ceiling effect with how much you can raise your CO2 and no matter how much airflow you have, you will not have additional rise in pH but you will definitely go through sodalime like crazy. The airline kit below includes some of those inline airflow adjustable valves.

Materials needed (total cost for this exact setup was a little over $125 USD):
-Hygger 10W Aquarium Air Pump with 2 Ports for 55~600 Gallon Fish Tank 250GPH

-JIH Aquarium Air Pump Accessories Set -25 Feet Airline Tubing Black Standard, Air Stones,Check Valves, Suction Cups and Connectors

-JoyTube Plastic Hose Barb Reducer Pipe fittings 3/8" to 3/16" Connectors

-Universal CO2 Scrubber - Bulk Reef Supply
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-universal-co2-scrubber.html

-JorVet Soda Lime, 3lb bag

I cannot comment on efficiency of soda lime use at this time, but I would not assume it to be much different from what is reported by others using the skimmer CO2 scrubber. I will come back to this thread and comment with how long it took before I had to change out the sodalime.

Below is the progressive change in pH I had since setting it up, my alkalinity was already at 12 dKH so I figured my only option to raise my pH was a CO2 scrubber. Seems to have a more stable range of pH fluctuation as well. You can see that I setup this scrubber on June 9th and has continued to slowly increase since then and bring the peak and troughs closer together. Now I am just adjusting the airflow rate down to maximize pH gain but minimize use of the sodalime.

View attachment 2712518
View attachment 2712519

If you have any questions about this setup let me know!
You’re a lifesaver, Thank you! I’m going to build one of these for my Biocube 32. Should I still use the 10 watt air pump for an aquarium that small? Again thank you for sharing your build!

Gedxin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to chime in that I did this with my 132G system. Works great and I have seen a noticeable increase in my pH after implemented.

The red line at 10/15 is when I added the Air Pump + CO2 media + Air Stone. I have a controller that turns it on when my pH < 8.3. It's basically on all the time except for ~4 hours during the middle of the day.

1667185125108.png

Corals.com

nvcheeko

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having CO2 on MY Skimmer with PH reaching 8.4 before controller turn it off, Got some new LEDs so no longer could fit my skimmer so i have connected this with Mame Skimmer and overnight yet to see results PH is now lowest its ever been, and its connected right as i have the Skimmer airstone powered directer from scrubber, Ill give it few days might have to put some water in bottom to give it some moisture,

Gedxin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can attest that the method works, and I will continue to use it to pump my pH ever so slightly higher. It's not terribly efficient though as my air pump is running nearly 24/7, so I'm churning through CO2 media about once a month (with the large BRS media canister.)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS soda lime is garbage. It doesn't work period. You'll want to buy the icecap or Two Little Fishies brand, or anything but the BRS brand. Last time I tried it, It did nothing. They told me they've had continuous trouble with it and people complaining.

Paul24

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmerless CO2 Scrubber Build

I'm writing this build thread for a CO2 scrubber setup without the need for a skimmer since I had a difficult time finding anyone who had done this.

The plumbing is simple: air pump --> CO2 canister with sodalime --> an airstone placed in your sump or tank

View attachment 2712499

I will include the materials I used to build this but most of it can be substituted for what you already have or for something else. The only thing I will emphasize is to try and get an air pump with a similar strength and if it isn't adjustable, to add an inline adjustable airflow valve. This is important for 2 reasons: 1. you need sufficient airflow to push the air through the canister and into your airstone 2. being able to adjust the airflow will allow you to be able to use your sodalime in the most efficient way. I assume there is a ceiling effect with how much you can raise your CO2 and no matter how much airflow you have, you will not have additional rise in pH but you will definitely go through sodalime like crazy. The airline kit below includes some of those inline airflow adjustable valves.

Materials needed (total cost for this exact setup was a little over $125 USD):
-Hygger 10W Aquarium Air Pump with 2 Ports for 55~600 Gallon Fish Tank 250GPH

-JIH Aquarium Air Pump Accessories Set -25 Feet Airline Tubing Black Standard, Air Stones,Check Valves, Suction Cups and Connectors

-JoyTube Plastic Hose Barb Reducer Pipe fittings 3/8" to 3/16" Connectors

-Universal CO2 Scrubber - Bulk Reef Supply
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-universal-co2-scrubber.html

-JorVet Soda Lime, 3lb bag

I cannot comment on efficiency of soda lime use at this time, but I would not assume it to be much different from what is reported by others using the skimmer CO2 scrubber. I will come back to this thread and comment with how long it took before I had to change out the sodalime.

Below is the progressive change in pH I had since setting it up, my alkalinity was already at 12 dKH so I figured my only option to raise my pH was a CO2 scrubber. Seems to have a more stable range of pH fluctuation as well. You can see that I setup this scrubber on June 9th and has continued to slowly increase since then and bring the peak and troughs closer together. Now I am just adjusting the airflow rate down to maximize pH gain but minimize use of the sodalime.

View attachment 2712518
View attachment 2712519

If you have any questions about this setup let me know!
How high are you running the pump? Half way? Max it’s pretty loud it seems

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back