Clownfish tail missing

No-Grape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Had two clownfish for over a year and one of the two died the other day (saw it breathing fast and laying on the sand so placed it in a 2 gallon quarantine) woke up the next morning and it died. Fast forward 2 days later, saw the other clownfish breathing fast and swimming in place (first video). Placed him in a 2 gallon quarantine tank and noticed this morning he is missing his tail and his fins are ripped (Had his tail while in the main display). No other fish or invertebrates in the quarantine tank with him. Clownfish has not been eating.

Can anyone help me identify whats going on?

I'm currently on vacation so my dad is looking after the tank and doing regular water changes. He mentioned one of the clownfish digging in the sand and flattened out a circular spot before the first one died.

Salinity 1.025 will update when I get other parameters

Thank you in advanced for any help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

No-Grape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other fish in the tank with him, main tank has some hermit crabs but the fish normally hosts a BTA. He lost the tail when he was alone in quarantine

OP
OP
N

No-Grape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like aggression! What else is in the tank? Someone is picking on him.

No other fish in the tank with him, main tank has some hermit crabs but the fish normally hosts a BTA. He lost the tail when he was alone in quarantine

ieatbugman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its rough though, i lost my first clown fish in an ick outbreak.
IMG_0915.jpeg

OP
OP
N

No-Grape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he could have lost the fin in a power head. as for heavy breathing and not eating, could be velvet, ick or something else.
No power heads in his quarantine, just heater and bubbler while manually changing the water :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No power heads in his quarantine, just heater and bubbler while manually changing the water :(

With NO other animals and no powerhead in the tank, the only other possibility that I can think of is a systemic primary bacterial disease. The other clown breathing fast and then dying also points to that. Assuming you didn't contaminant the tank with water or animals from a diseased tank recently (and unknowingly of course) then I would have to say it is bacterial.

The bacteria that infect fish are typically always present in aquariums. usually, it takes some injury to the fish's skin to allow the bacteria to invade the tissues. In rare instances, the bacteria itself is enough of a stressor to just start invading the fish. A broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as neomycin or kanamycin would be the treatment - HOWEVER, these bacteria are virulent and one fish has already died and this one is close to death. Antibiotics take 3 to 5 days to work, and I just don't think this poor fish has that long....sorry.

OP
OP
N

No-Grape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With NO other animals and no powerhead in the tank, the only other possibility that I can think of is a systemic primary bacterial disease. The other clown breathing fast and then dying also points to that. Assuming you didn't contaminant the tank with water or animals from a diseased tank recently (and unknowingly of course) then I would have to say it is bacterial.

The bacteria that infect fish are typically always present in aquariums. usually, it takes some injury to the fish's skin to allow the bacteria to invade the tissues. In rare instances, the bacteria itself is enough of a stressor to just start invading the fish. A broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as neomycin or kanamycin would be the treatment - HOWEVER, these bacteria are virulent and one fish has already died and this one is close to death. Antibiotics take 3 to 5 days to work, and I just don't think this poor fish has that long....sorry.
Thank you for the help and reply definitely going to get some antibiotics to keep on hand, I really appreciate it

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back