Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this clownfish about 2 weeks. He went through a week in qt when I noticed he was struggling to stay afloat and would sink easily, like maybe an issue with it's swim bladder. He would breathe heavily and his gills looked puffed out and wouldn't eat much. Now he just lays on the bottom of the tank breathing heavily. Someone mentioned it might be flukes so I freshwater dipped him and put him back in the qt tank with fresh saltwater and treated with copper. Anything else I should do?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - what was your QT protocol - I do not think you were following the protocol here. Swim bladder issues are usually stress/chemical/bacterial related - and an antibiotic may be in order. What is the respiratory rate, etc - any other fish ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've had this clownfish about 2 weeks. He went through a week in qt when I noticed he was struggling to stay afloat and would sink easily, like maybe an issue with it's swim bladder. He would breathe heavily and his gills looked puffed out and wouldn't eat much. Now he just lays on the bottom of the tank breathing heavily. Someone mentioned it might be flukes so I freshwater dipped him and put him back in the qt tank with fresh saltwater and treated with copper. Anything else I should do?

View attachment 3141111View attachment 3141123
While there is a possibility of buoyancy issue and I also see what looks like excess current/flow
The image is distant and cant see anything on fish that sticks out. As for gills, opposed to puffed gills, I see pinched head which is often hereditary or result of poor diet as the fish seems somewhat thin.
What foods are you offering it and how has it eaten recently ?.
Dont see behaviors of flukes which would be sudden darting, lethargic/listless behavior.
I would recommend a 5 min freshwater dip but with heavy breathing becomes a risk but lessened if water is aerated with air stone to see if changes behavior.

OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there is a possibility of buoyancy issue and I also see what looks like excess current/flow
The image is distant and cant see anything on fish that sticks out. As for gills, opposed to puffed gills, I see pinched head which is often hereditary or result of poor diet as the fish seems somewhat thin.
What foods are you offering it and how has it eaten recently ?.
Dont see behaviors of flukes which would be sudden darting, lethargic/listless behavior.
I would recommend a 5 min freshwater dip but with heavy breathing becomes a risk but lessened if water is aerated with air stone to see if changes behavior.
At first I offered flake and frozen food and it ate both. I haven’t seen it eat recently though. I did a freshwater dip but only about 4 mins. I can longer with an air stone.

OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - what was your QT protocol - I do not think you were following the protocol here. Swim bladder issues are usually stress/chemical/bacterial related - and an antibiotic may be in order. What is the respiratory rate, etc - any other fish ?
I’m new to r2r but I was following the brs video on qt. Basically 1 week in copper treatment. But I don’t have a copper tester so the levels may have been too low. I’m looking to get one now though. He’s breathing quite rapidly. I don’t have any antibiotics except maracyn will that work?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
At first I offered flake and frozen food and it ate both. I haven’t seen it eat recently though. I did a freshwater dip but only about 4 mins. I can longer with an air stone.
4 should be sufficient. See if you noticed a change in behavior and/or feeding in the next couple of hours

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes- fish is thin and breathing very rapidly. I still dont think flukes.
What filters are you using for this tank and what is age of tank? This points to water

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3141111View attachment 3141123

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That isn't a swim bladder issue, it is either a water quality issue or a gill disease. The little clown is breathing VERY fast, it most likely will not survive. I couldn't get a long enough look at the other clown to see how it is breathing. It looks like there is a guppy in the tank also?

This post helps explain the background information we need to try and solve fish health problems:

The most important thing we need is your water chemistry numbers, especially ammonia.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to r2r but I was following the brs video on qt. Basically 1 week in copper treatment. But I don’t have a copper tester so the levels may have been too low. I’m looking to get one now though. He’s breathing quite rapidly. I don’t have any antibiotics except maracyn will that work?
This is not the protocol recommended here - without criticizing the protocol you used - it's not what's recommended here. If he is breathing fast - I would guess a gill disease - flukes vs velvet - but it's a total guess. Could be another parasite. I would isolate it in a hospital tank with copper. You could consider a freshwater dip.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
crannon

crannon

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, thanks for your help. I did try the freshwater dip and QT with copper but I think it was too far gone and he sadly passed away in qt. My other fish are doing ok so I don't think it was water parameters. My tank is cycled and I'm getting 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate and around 5-10ppm nitrate. I try to keep the water at 1.025 salinity but I don't have an ato yet so the levels crept up a bit, but no more than 0.002 which I've resolved and will stay on top of better. I don't have a super accurate way to test kh and ph but both showed to be within safe levels. I did a water change and will monitor the rest of the tank inhabitants. And moving forward I will use the qt process recommended here on any new fish.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Battlecorals
Back