Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a black clownfish and it is getting abused alot by my old mature female true percula clownfish is this normal behavior and when will it stop, the black clownfish's fins are nipped alot and I'm kinda worried for him was it the right call to get one of the smallest clownfish after getting a big one?

20221218_083338.jpg 20221219_145721.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, but you should take an acclimation box (inside of the display tank) and put the female into it. This will give the male time to recover and then they can establish a relationship. After a couple of days to a week or so they will usually start doing their twitching and then you can put the female back in. This usually works but can take a few attempts so be ready to move the female back in if she gets too aggressive again and repeat the process

vaguelyreeflike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the black clown an Ocellaris? Does it have the same color eyes as the percula? You shouldnt mix ocellaris with percula, percs are mean fish and will continue to bully any ocellaris until theyre dead.
If they are both percula, then they might be both female.

regardless the fish need to be separated. When trying to pair clowns ensure theyre the same species, and get a male from a mixed tank of clowns at an LFS. I always have separated females, confirmed pairs and a mixed tank of unclaimed males and one female at work. The largest of the group is the female, she will be more aggressive and hold her dorsal fin higher, the males will be smaller and docile.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

gobybryant

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, but you should take an acclimation box (inside of the display tank) and put the female into it. This will give the male time to recover and then they can establish a relationship. After a couple of days to a week or so they will usually start doing their twitching and then you can put the female back in. This usually works but can take a few attempts so be ready to move the female back in if she gets too aggressive again and repeat the process
Beat me to it @dedragon lol. This is the way!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the black clown an Ocellaris? Does it have the same color eyes as the percula? You shouldnt mix ocellaris with percula, percs are mean fish and will continue to bully any ocellaris until theyre dead.
This isnt true all of the time. It can be harder to pair them but it is 100% possible. Many people, including myself, have pairs of 1 ocy and 1 perc. I have a wild caught female percula and a storm clownfish (ocellaris), that have been together for years and breed regularly

Top Shelf Aquatics

vaguelyreeflike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isnt true all of the time. It can be harder to pair them but it is 100% possible. Many people, including myself, have pairs of 1 ocy and 1 perc. I have a wild caught female percula and a storm clownfish (ocellaris), that have been together for years and breed regularly
Absolutely, hence why i said shouldnt and not never. I’ve attempted it a couple times and got close, but dont like recommending it due to the risk youll wake up with a dead occy. I think the hybrids are super neat though, and eventually will probably be able to house most clowns together as theyll mostly be hybrids.

OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

regardless the fish need to be separated. When trying to pair clowns ensure theyre the same species, and get a male from a mixed tank of clowns at an LFS. I always have separated females, confirmed pairs and a mixed tank of unclaimed males and one female at work. The largest of the group is the female, she will be more aggressive and hold her dorsal fin higher, the males will be smaller and docile.
I couldve sworn it was possible to breed 2 species together? And I'm 100% sure the red one is a female and the black one is 100% a male should I seperate the male in a box in the tank?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldve sworn it was possible to breed 2 species together? And I'm 100% sure the red one is a female and the black one is 100% a male should I seperate the male in a box in the tank?
No, put the female into the acclimation box in the tank. Gives the male time to both get used to the tank and recover from injury.

They can breed and produce viable offspring as well. My ocy/perc pair breed every 8 days of so for the past few years

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that makes more sense how long do I have before the female kills the male because I just ordered an acclimation box

vaguelyreeflike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely can, just understand the risk of your female killing him. I would start with putting him in a breeder box for atleast a week or two, and try again

Top Shelf Aquatics

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either of them in the breeder box will work but maybe do the female like others say. Then try the male in the box if that doesnt work
Will this work for 3 days? I just got a breeder box from Amazon ot will arrive Thursday

Attachments

• 20221219_160644.jpg
    20221219_160644.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 21

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work for 3 days? I just got a breeder box from Amazon ot will arrive Thursday
yes but you probably want to switch the male and the female as stated previously. If the male is eating you will be fine but dont want to give that one more stress than it already was dealing with.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
efish

efish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but you probably want to switch the male and the female as stated previously. If the male is eating you will be fine but dont want to give that one more stress than it already was dealing with.
Oh it's eating fine but should i switch their place or does it not matter which place each one is

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it's eating fine but should i switch their place or does it not matter which place each one is
There is a bit of a debate on that, most agree that it should be the female in the box to establish the relationship but you can switch them when the new acclimation box gets there. Make sure to drill more holes in the box for water flow and try and add a lid if you can, either the lid of the tupperware (cut holes for light) or some eggcrate will work.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Breeders
Back