Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve started up a saltwater tank about 2-3 months ago. I’ve been in the hobby for about 10 years. My first batch of fish I got from ocean devotion which includes two clowns. One of them (pictures attached) is not acting right. It constantly has its mouth open, I haven’t noticed it eating, and I think it’s starting to develop a sore of some kind? These fish have been in the tank for over two weeks now so it’s gotta be eating something or I would think it wouldn’t be alive still. Any idea what this could be?

ph 7.5 - I know this is low. I have so much surface agitation, windows open, skimmer going, and a reef breeders fuge light on opposite the display lights.
ammonia - 0 tank has been cycled for a month
nitrite - 0
Nitrates - 9 - I did a bunch of huge water changes to get them down

I have 2 apex sky’s over a 165 waterbox with their sump.

I haven’t lost any fish and I bought all of them through ocean devotion so I didn’t have to QT any of them.

I haven’t seen the clowns or anything else fighting everyone is eating mysis besides this one clown. I do have a huge pod population so maybe it’s eating them? Not sure…

I attached a video to this post

A945C504-C2A0-4706-9E18-8CA034ECA83C.jpeg
B1BB26D1-8856-422A-9201-16967C74B48A.jpeg 956839CD-1C57-4764-B687-C0E08AABE871.jpeg 245080F3-5DAB-4268-A73A-F2155665919F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3385.MOV
    28.4 MB
Last edited:

ti_lavender

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as a similar thing happened to my clown yesterday. I called my LFS where I got them. They said that the fish likely got in to a fight and it’s jaw is locked. Told me to keep feeding and hope that it unlocks. I fed yesterday but the clown wasn’t interested.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really isn't possible to diagnose most fish issues from just photographs. We also need background information about the tank, and a short video. This post explains all that:

Jay

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as a similar thing happened to my clown yesterday. I called my LFS where I got them. They said that the fish likely got in to a fight and it’s jaw is locked. Told me to keep feeding and hope that it unlocks. I fed yesterday but the clown wasn’t interested.

The issues with the two clownfish may be different, please go ahead and post your own problem report:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I’ve started up a saltwater tank about 2-3 months ago. I’ve been in the hobby for about 10 years. My first batch of fish I got from ocean devotion which includes two clowns. One of them (pictures attached) is not acting right. It constantly has its mouth open, I haven’t noticed it eating, and I think it’s starting to develop a sore of some kind? These fish have been in the tank for over two weeks now so it’s gotta be eating something or I would think it wouldn’t be alive still. Any idea what this could be?

ph 7.5 - I know this is low. I have so much surface agitation, windows open, skimmer going, and a reef breeders fuge light on opposite the display lights.
ammonia - 0 tank has been cycled for a month
nitrite - 0
Nitrates - 9 - I did a bunch of huge water changes to get them down

I have 2 apex sky’s over a 165 waterbox with their sump.

I haven’t lost any fish and I bought all of them through ocean devotion so I didn’t have to QT any of them.

I haven’t seen the clowns or anything else fighting everyone is eating mysis besides this one clown. I do have a huge pod population so maybe it’s eating them? Not sure…

I attached a video to this post

View attachment 2905774 View attachment 2905775 View attachment 2905776 View attachment 2905777
Something seems off with numbers. It appears although pics are fuzzy that there is beginning of dino. Generally this happens when tank is too clean and/or bo3 and po4 are zero.
While not impossible, one month and zero nitrate is odd- what test kits are you using ?
Injury I see which may be injury or bacterial and mouth is open likely to damage on gill area. How did you acclimate the fish and for how long ?
On your comment of Not having to quarantine the fish because of where they come from. . . Please understand, anytime you buy quarantined fish it reduces chances of disease and not eliminate those chances especially with fish in transport that produces stressors such as changes in ammonia and Ph - something to keep in mind
jay asked certain questions- Please follow up with those so an assessment can be made

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edited my first post with more information

The clownfish is open-mouthed rapid breathing. I couldn't get a clear look at the Banggai or other clown to see if they also have some breathing issues.

The pH is really low for all that aeration and water changes - you might want to check your test method.

This clown seems to have some sort of infection. Trouble is, there are no clear symptoms to determine if it is protozoan, bacterial, or something else. Each of these requires a different treatment though. I presume you don't have a treatment tank available? Without one, all you can really try is a 5 minute FW dip to see if that provides any relief. However, with a fish breathing this fast, a dip may be fatal.

Jay

OP
OP
F

FishN00b83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my nitrates are 9 not 0 and I’m using the Red Sea algae control pro kit.

I floated all fish for 20 mins and then drip acclimated them for about 30 mins. I let the water volume double, dumped half and let it double again.

I have a mystery wrasse and a cardinal that are doing fine.

the Dino’s are on the rocks but I understand that a new system goes through phases. I’ve been just checking all levels and blowing it if the rocks.

I didnt see Jay post any question on the thread…

OP
OP
F

FishN00b83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other fish are looking and eating normal.

I have an apex with a ph probe and I calibrated it…maybe I should do it again?

you really think I should do a FW dip? I haven’t had success with them in the past.

Corals.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other fish are looking and eating normal.

I have an apex with a ph probe and I calibrated it…maybe I should do it again?

you really think I should do a FW dip? I haven’t had success with them in the past.

No - a FW dip most likely won't help unless the issue is flukes (and then it will only be a temporary fix). However, unless you have a treatment tank, there really isn't anything else to try.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back