Clownfish Impaction?

rsoueid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve had two 10g cubes with the same chemistry running for 2 years now. Each contains an ocellaris clown and generic cuc, and one contains a rainford goby. Every other day I alternate between PE mysis and a mixture of Hikari Seaweed Extreme and TDO Chroma Boost pellets. Fish have always been healthy with no signs of parasites. Yesterday was a Mysis day and the clown housed with the rainford goby refused to come up and eat anything. This was unusual but I shrugged it off as she otherwise behaved normally the rest of the day. This morning I was immediately concerned because she was not in her usual hiding spot, nor anywhere obvious. I eventually found her on her side in the sand bed near a corner of the glass. She was breathing rapidly, paled out, and with “dead” eyes. I immediately removed her from the dt into a qt bucket and observed until she passed in the following minutes. All other fish (including her goby tank mate) are perfectly fine, and testing this morning confirmed no parameter swings since last testing 3 days ago. I noticed a large discoloration of her insides through her pale scales, and coupled with her abnormal aversion towards feedings the day prior, assumed impaction/ intestinal rupture of some kind (see attached image). I’m still a novice to the hobby, and wondering if anyone could confirm my suspicions or give an explanation to these events so that I can avoid such mortalities in the future. I know fish mortalities can be unavoidable, but hoping to gain understanding as this one may be a reflection of my husbandry. Any responses would be appreciated.

IMG_3370.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi all, I’ve had two 10g cubes with the same chemistry running for 2 years now. Each contains an ocellaris clown and generic cuc, and one contains a rainford goby. Every other day I alternate between PE mysis and a mixture of Hikari Seaweed Extreme and TDO Chroma Boost pellets. Fish have always been healthy with no signs of parasites. Yesterday was a Mysis day and the clown housed with the rainford goby refused to come up and eat anything. This was unusual but I shrugged it off as she otherwise behaved normally the rest of the day. This morning I was immediately concerned because she was not in her usual hiding spot, nor anywhere obvious. I eventually found her on her side in the sand bed near a corner of the glass. She was breathing rapidly, paled out, and with “dead” eyes. I immediately removed her from the dt into a qt bucket and observed until she passed in the following minutes. All other fish (including her goby tank mate) are perfectly fine, and testing this morning confirmed no parameter swings since last testing 3 days ago. I noticed a large discoloration of her insides through her pale scales, and coupled with her abnormal aversion towards feedings the day prior, assumed impaction/ intestinal rupture of some kind (see attached image). I’m still a novice to the hobby, and wondering if anyone could confirm my suspicions or give an explanation to these events so that I can avoid such mortalities in the future. I know fish mortalities can be unavoidable, but hoping to gain understanding as this one may be a reflection of my husbandry. Any responses would be appreciated.

IMG_3370.jpeg
Sorry to see. Although fish were eating, the diet provided was not a complete one. Add LRS fish frenzy, flakes such as formula one, spirulina brine shrimp in lieu of nori (which im surprised yours ate) and plankton. I bring up diet as this fish is thin and was lacking fats and aminos unless it had an internal issue but generally there would be other signs.
Without any symptoms not mentioned such as elevated breathing, head shaking, loss of color as examples, will b hard to precisely determine cause

OP
OP
R

rsoueid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I just lost my two clowns myself due to brooklynella. Do you have a photo when he was in the tank ?
Unfortunately, nothing recent but here is a picture from several months ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3375.jpeg
    IMG_3375.jpeg
    989.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
R

rsoueid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. Although fish were eating, the diet provided was not a complete one. Add LRS fish frenzy, flakes such as formula one, spirulina brine shrimp in lieu of nori (which im surprised yours ate) and plankton. I bring up diet as this fish is thin and was lacking fats and aminos unless it had an internal issue but generally there would be other signs.
Without any symptoms not mentioned such as elevated breathing, head shaking, loss of color as examples, will b hard to precisely determine cause
Thank you for this information. I’ll quickly look for those or similar products to add to their diet

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back