Clownfish fighting after 3 months

Tom43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clown fish that I picked up about 3 months ago. One of them was about an inch and the other an inch and a half, the smaller one would do the wiggle and submit to the bigger one and everything was fine. But now the smaller one has grown a lot larger than the previous 1.5 inch one and is chasing the other around the tank non stop. I have the big one in a breeder net box. Do I have 2 females now ? The small one just runs for its life and doesn’t fight back

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clown fish that I picked up about 3 months ago. One of them was about an inch and the other an inch and a half, the smaller one would do the wiggle and submit to the bigger one and everything was fine. But now the smaller one has grown a lot larger than the previous 1.5 inch one and is chasing the other around the tank non stop. I have the big one in a breeder net box. Do I have 2 females now ? The small one just runs for its life and doesn’t fight back
I seriously doubt you have two females. They remain sexless for anywhere from about 12 to 18 months. Then they turn male. If there is a need for a female, then they will turn. If not, they will stay male. Your clowns are figuring our which is the more dominant. It's a game they need to play. Eventually, the more dominant will become female and they will mellow out (somewhat). But if they are very young, they are probably still sexless.

OP
OP
T

Tom43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously doubt you have two females. They remain sexless for anywhere from about 12 to 18 months. Then they turn male. If there is a need for a female, then they will turn. If not, they will stay male. Your clowns are figuring our which is the more dominant. It's a game they need to play. Eventually, the more dominant will become female and they will mellow out (somewhat). But if they are very young, they are probably still sexless.
Ok my only concern, is the bigger one is chasing the other around nonstop and the smaller one will just be sit in the top corner almost jumping out of the tank. I guess it’s been going on for a few weeks. I haven’t been around to watch them consistently. I still have the big one in the breeder net. Maybe I’ll let that one out tomorrow and watch it more.

OP
OP
T

Tom43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my only concern, is the bigger one is chasing the other around nonstop and the smaller one will just be sit in the top corner almost jumping out of the tank. I guess it’s been going on for a few weeks. I haven’t been around to watch them consistently. I still have the big one in the breeder net. Maybe I’ll let that one out tomorrow and watch it more.
Here’s a video of the bigger white and black clown the more aggressive one chasing the other to the top of the tank and the wiggle dance.
The black and white one is the bigger aggressive one and they’re both doing the side wiggle/twitching in the photo. How long does this typically go on for? The orange one doesn’t fight back and usually just runs for its life.

Attachments

• IMG_8059.png
    IMG_8059.png
    717.2 KB · Views: 9

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back