Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to another fish getting Brook, this clownfish has undergone a Ruby Rally Pro bath, and is currently under a metroplex treatment. She never showed any symptoms of anything, but I just wanted to know if this rate of breathing is normal or if there is something I should be doing? She only started breathing like this after treatments. All levels are fine. Thanks!

BRS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Due to another fish getting Brook, this clownfish has undergone a Ruby Rally Pro bath, and is currently under a metroplex treatment. She never showed any symptoms of anything, but I just wanted to know if this rate of breathing is normal or if there is something I should be doing? She only started breathing like this after treatments. All levels are fine. Thanks!
View attachment 3143828
I see what appears to be mucus under one of the gills and you needed to continue with Ruby Rally as Metroplex is an anti-protozoan and Not for brook. You want to revert back to formalin based med or Ruby rally pro and increase aeration.

BRS
OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what appears to be mucus under one of the gills and you needed to continue with Ruby Rally as Metroplex is an anti-protozoan and Not for brook. You want to revert back to formalin based med or Ruby rally pro and increase aeration.
When you say continue with Ruby Rally, are you saying do another bath? Since this is the only fish in the QT, can I just treat in the QT? Should I stop metro? I was following a treatment plan that said to do a RR bath and then treat with metroplex for 2 weeks. Appreciate any advice.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When you say continue with Ruby Rally, are you saying do another bath? Since this is the only fish in the QT, can I just treat in the QT? Should I stop metro? I was following a treatment plan that said to do a RR bath and then treat with metroplex for 2 weeks. Appreciate any advice.
yes- treat in QT tank and stop metro. That plan is for velvet

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what I am doing wrong but adding Rally to my QT tank has immediately affected my clownfish’s health. He is now swimming sideways and much stiffer. I’m starting to get pretty frustrated as this would be the 3rd fish I’d lose.

I am dosing the exact amounts based on the instructions. I have a 10g QT and the instructions say 30ml per 20 gal. I dosed 15ml. Am I doing something wrong?
yes- treat in QT tank and stop metro. That plan is for velvet

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’m at an aquarium conference and can’t see the video on my phone. If the rate is more than 100 per minute it is fast and >120 is getting serious. > 180 is critical. You can count the gill beats for 15 seconds and multiply by 4 to get the minute rate.
Jay

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

thanks for all your help so far. First time dealing with any type of fish disease. Quick update is the clownfish seems to be doing better, but it still seems like there might be some mucous on her chin? I can’t tell if it’s just her gills, or if it’s something else. I feel like she’s always had that white under her chin. I’ve dosed Ruby Rally Pro 4 days in a row directly into the tank. Should I keep going? Do I give it some time?

Also, how will I know when she is Brook free? My biggest fear is that she’ll still be carrying the disease and reinfect the DT after fallow.

Thanks again.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

thanks for all your help so far. First time dealing with any type of fish disease. Quick update is the clownfish seems to be doing better, but it still seems like there might be some mucous on her chin? I can’t tell if it’s just her gills, or if it’s something else. I feel like she’s always had that white under her chin. I’ve dosed Ruby Rally Pro 4 days in a row directly into the tank. Should I keep going? Do I give it some time?

Also, how will I know when she is Brook free? My biggest fear is that she’ll still be carrying the disease and reinfect the DT after fallow.

Thanks again.
View attachment 3149331
Great to hear. You can continue Ruby treatment a few more days- again, maintain good water quality. Brook has a direct life cycle and without a host fish to feed on loses its chance to survive

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks again.
View attachment 3149331

It does look better, and the lesion under its right gill looks smaller.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back