+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is not under white lighting but I took it this morning of the black clown in QT -

Unfortunately, lens are trying to focus as fish moves and there are dots on the glass making it hard to tell if on the glass or fish..
Some good Meds to have on hand are Prazi Pro, Seachem kanaplex and Coppersafe or copperpower to have ammunition ready for these instances.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, lens are trying to focus as fish moves and there are dots on the glass making it hard to tell if on the glass or fish..
Some good Meds to have on hand are Prazi Pro, Seachem kanaplex and Coppersafe or copperpower to have ammunition ready for these instances.
Yeah sorry about that, I'll take better video later but the white dots are on the glass!!! He had lots of white dots yesterday but none since QT. I dosed coppee but will odser prazi pro for sure in case its flukes. Also because its reef safe so may add in DT!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah sorry about that, I'll take better video later but the white dots are on the glass!!! He had lots of white dots yesterday but none since QT. I dosed coppee but will odser prazi pro for sure in case its flukes. Also because its reef safe so may add in DT!
Also Ruby Rally pro is reef safe and treats an array of issues

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not under white lighting but I took it this morning of the black clown in QT -

I'll defer to Vette on this since he is way more knowledgeable on fish illness but the clown in the video doesn't appear obviously sick there. Keep in mind that if you determine your fish had brook or velvet then all fish have to be treated in QT and your tank needs to fallow for 76 days. I went through this situation early on.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just jumping in here - I can't say if the clown has Brooklynella or Velvet, the last video looks more like velvet, but the earlier video looked more like Brooklynella to me. Trouble is, it takes two different treatments, so going in the wrong direction will be an issue.

Can you clarify: "so I lost a couple of fish last week because of an aggressive damsel. I only have 2 cardinals, 2 clowns, and a gramma left." Did you remove the damsel? Are you sure the fish were dying from the damsel and not getting picked on after they died from something else?

Jay

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just jumping in here - I can't say if the clown has Brooklynella or Velvet, the last video looks more like velvet, but the earlier video looked more like Brooklynella to me. Trouble is, it takes two different treatments, so going in the wrong direction will be an issue.

Can you clarify: "so I lost a couple of fish last week because of an aggressive damsel. I only have 2 cardinals, 2 clowns, and a gramma left." Did you remove the damsel? Are you sure the fish were dying from the damsel and not getting picked on after they died from something else?

Jay
Yes the damsel was removed! But i ended up 4 fish in the process (2 before he was removed and 2 basically the same day..). Everyone else got along. And copper seems to be working!!! Cloudiness and white spots are gone and his breathing is better he is also a lot more active. People also said it could be fluke. I put prazipro in the DT and the 4 fish in there seem to be swimming a bit more ever since. The black clown is still in QT and not eating but he is doing better. Can decide if I should continue copper treatment or treat for fluke...

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry about that, I'll take better video later but the white dots are on the glass!!! He had lots of white dots yesterday but none since QT. I dosed coppee but will odser prazi pro for sure in case its flukes. Also because its reef safe so may add in just came

Also Ruby Rally pro is reef safe and treats an array of issues
I just used Prazipro in the main tank and the fish seemed to be swimming more... i made sure to point the powerheads to surface to help oxygen levels and removed carbon and UV light. The clown in QT is doinf much better (much more active and present and no white dots or cloudiness. His eyes look better too) but Im not sure if i should keep treating him copper or switch to fluke treatment. I know both cannot be mixed.

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry about that, I'll take better video later but the white dots are on the glass!!! He had lots of white dots yesterday but none since QT. I dosed coppee but will odser prazi pro for sure in case its flukes. Also because its reef safe so may add in just came

Jay
Hi Jay,

Just took this latest video - he seems to be doing better than last night but still isnt eating.

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll defer to Vette on this since he is way more knowledgeable on fish illness but the clown in the video doesn't appear obviously sick there. Keep in mind that if you determine your fish had brook or velvet then all fish have to be treated in QT and your tank needs to fallow for 76 days. I went through this situation early on.
This is everyone in the DT (i just dosed Prazipro) -
And this is the clown in QT currently with copper treatment since early this morning (about 12 hours) - https://youtube.com/shorts/Ud0WiAZIhEU?feature=share

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is the clown in QT currently with copper treatment since early this morning (about 12 hours) - https://youtube.com/shorts/Ud0WiAZIhEU?feature=share

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video will help with an accurate diagnosis - if it’s velvet fish will be breathing very rapidly.
All fish should be treated with copper, as others are likely infected as well and will soon show the same symptoms.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Heavy breathing does not happen will velvet only but also with brook and flukes. I do not see where fish os struggling with breathing.
Does it have a loss of appetite?
Loss of color or looks chalky versus bright orange?
Any hiding at all ?
Scratching itself once in a while ?

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy breathing does not happen will velvet only but also with brook and flukes. I do not see where fish os struggling with breathing.
Any hiding at all ?
He hasnt eaten since yesterday. He was extremely cloudy (almost whiteish) when i removed him from the main tank and was scratching himself on the sand and rocks. He was also breathing rapidly. I did a 5 min freshwater dip, QT tank with low salinity, then copper treatment soon after. His breathing is much better now and his color is almost back to normal and he no longer has white spots on himself. But he still isnt eating. But a lot a lot more alert as compared to yesterday.

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any hiding at all ?
These photos are about 6 hours apart. He was already looking better in the morning but as you can see on the tails, the mucus has decreased and his eyes look better too imo (though i may just be being too hopeful)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230420_162758_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230420_162758_Gallery.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230420_162810_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230420_162810_Gallery.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 6

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He hasnt eaten since yesterday. He was extremely cloudy (almost whiteish) when i removed him from the main tank and was scratching himself on the sand and rocks. He was also breathing rapidly. I did a 5 min freshwater dip, QT tank with low salinity, then copper treatment soon after. His breathing is much better now and his color is almost back to normal and he no longer has white spots on himself. But he still isnt eating. But a lot a lot more alert as compared to yesterday.
With low salinity dip, and freshwater is best and seeing it offered temporary relief as well as loss of coloration and refusing to eat, I suspect Brooklynella based on looks of fish and symptoms. The loss of coloration is likely mucus which generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank which you partially did. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With low salinity dip, and freshwater is best and seeing it offered temporary relief as well as loss of coloration and refusing to eat, I suspect Brooklynella based on looks of fish and symptoms. The loss of coloration is likely mucus which generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank which you partially did. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
A quarantine system if you dont have one can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials
Thank you! I'll order formalin solution! But quick ques - if he seems to be doing better with low salinity and copper, could it still be brook? The mucus is almost gone, he isnt cloudy anymore, and yesterday he had ich like spots all over his body which is also gone. Just worried about appetite now. I'm ordering formalin regardless but wanted to ask whether what I did could have eased the symptoms but the main thing still needs to be treated!

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you! I'll order formalin solution! But quick ques - if he seems to be doing better with low salinity and copper, could it still be brook? The mucus is almost gone, he isnt cloudy anymore, and yesterday he had ich like spots all over his body which is also gone. Just worried about appetite now. I'm ordering formalin regardless but wanted to ask whether what I did could have eased the symptoms but the main thing still needs to be treated!
the low salinity likely the helper. Continue what you are doing. Velvet and ich does not suddenly vanish, but brook signs will - at east temporarily. The low salinity will reduce amount of mucus, which is why freshwater dip works temporarily for relief

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the low salinity likely the helper. Continue what you are doing. Velvet and ich does not suddenly vanish, but brook signs will - at east temporarily. The low salinity will reduce amount of mucus, which is why freshwater dip works temporarily for relief
Thank you! Hopefully he can hold on until formalin arrives - im only finding at amazon!

Nutramar Foods

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back