Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I lost a couple of fish last week because of an aggressive damsel. I only have 2 cardinals, 2 clowns, and a gramma left. Black clown had white spots on him yesterday and by night, he was almost cloudy looking. I quickly set did a fw dip for 5 mins and set up a QT tank. One of the threads suggested low salinity so its at 1.015. His breathing is already a bit better (not so rapid anymore) and his body has cleared up (its very very lightly cloudy but almost 80% of the cloudiness is gone). He still isnt eating but its only been a couple of hours. I dosed copper and will be keeping that in check. Any tips or suggestion is helpful. He is swimming a bit more now and in controlled motions rather than in circle... do you guys think he can recover? How do i get him to eat? The other 2 cardinals and clownfish are still in the DT. One cardinal and the clown are eating but not as much (the clown in the DT is also not swimming as much but i dont see any white spots. I'm also feeding frequently and he is takinf like 1 bite each time). The gramma is hiding so i cant make sure how she is doing. She came out after 2 days today when i put in food but I couldnt see if she took a bite. Also, i tried catching them to put in hospital tank but they are all escaping so i stopped trying as I dont want to stress them out more. I'll keep an eye out to see if anyone is lethargic and move them immediately. Any advice or tip is appreciated especially about the black clown in QT - Is the cloudiness going away a good sign? What should I keep an eye out for? And anything I can do to get him to eat? I only feed frozen food soaked in garlic... Also the DT has UV light.

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230420_102723_Gallery.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video will help with an accurate diagnosis - if it’s velvet fish will be breathing very rapidly.
All fish should be treated with copper, as others are likely infected as well and will soon show the same symptoms.

Here is a video of the clown in QT! I wish i had taken a photo last night but he was basically almost white. And breathing extremely rapidly. That was about 6 hours ago. This is now:

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video will help with an accurate diagnosis - if it’s velvet fish will be breathing very rapidly.
All fish should be treated with copper, as others are likely infected as well and will soon show the same symptoms.
Here is the video of the fish in DT:

Everyone is eatinf except the small cardinal and they are all hard to catch so I'm avoiding it until necessary as I dont want to stress them further. Clown is definitely eating less than usual but he is eating.

get-salty

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, so I lost a couple of fish last week because of an aggressive damsel. I only have 2 cardinals, 2 clowns, and a gramma left. Black clown had white spots on him yesterday and by night, he was almost cloudy looking. I quickly set did a fw dip for 5 mins and set up a QT tank. One of the threads suggested low salinity so its at 1.015. His breathing is already a bit better (not so rapid anymore) and his body has cleared up (its very very lightly cloudy but almost 80% of the cloudiness is gone). He still isnt eating but its only been a couple of hours. I dosed copper and will be keeping that in check. Any tips or suggestion is helpful. He is swimming a bit more now and in controlled motions rather than in circle... do you guys think he can recover? How do i get him to eat? The other 2 cardinals and clownfish are still in the DT. One cardinal and the clown are eating but not as much (the clown in the DT is also not swimming as much but i dont see any white spots. I'm also feeding frequently and he is takinf like 1 bite each time). The gramma is hiding so i cant make sure how she is doing. She came out after 2 days today when i put in food but I couldnt see if she took a bite. Also, i tried catching them to put in hospital tank but they are all escaping so i stopped trying as I dont want to stress them out more. I'll keep an eye out to see if anyone is lethargic and move them immediately. Any advice or tip is appreciated especially about the black clown in QT - Is the cloudiness going away a good sign? What should I keep an eye out for? And anything I can do to get him to eat? I only feed frozen food soaked in garlic... Also the DT has UV light.
clowns are usually super hardy. looks like youre doing all that necessary things. give them time and good luck !

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clowns are usually super hardy. looks like youre doing all that necessary things. give them time and good luck !
Thank you! I'll try to keep giving him food and hope that he eats soon. He has always been a voracious eater but stopped eating yesterday but seem to be reacting well to QT and copper so I'm hoping he will take food soon!

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did not add anything recently I think it is less likely velvet. Might be some bad infection caused by stress. Maintain good water quality in the qt tank water could also help
I did add the gramma last week :( I'll be moving the other fish to QT when I can do it in the least distressing way possible! Hopefully they keep eating and are able to fight this off if its just stress/infection!

KKY

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did add the gramma last week :( I'll be moving the other fish to QT when I can do it in the least distressing way possible! Hopefully they keep eating and are able to fight this off if its just stress/infection!
Hope they will survive! Velvet usually would kill fish in 48hrs, if they have survived longer it might be something else, and you would have a little more time to deal with it. Anyway treating all of them is necessary, i might also try cipro or reef rally dip before putting them into qt. And try not to add multiple medications in QT.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would be great - it's unclear whether this is brooklynella or CI or velvet? Did you QT it? As to salinity, you can use it in a tank with no invertebrates - there is an entire protocol - however I would not tend to do that without a diagnosis.

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would be great - it's unclear whether this is brooklynella or CI or velvet? Did you QT it? As to salinity, you can use it in a tank with no invertebrates - there is an entire protocol - however I would not tend to do that without a diagnosis.
The black clown is in QT he was the only one who stopped eating and had white spots. I moved him to QT 8 hours ago when he was extremely cloudy. Cloudiness has gone down. Attaching photo of the black clown in QT and other fish in DT. I have also replied with videos in this thread if you want to look, thank you for any advice and help!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230420_102723_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230420_102723_Gallery.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230420_103624_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230420_103624_Gallery.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230420_103431_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230420_103431_Gallery.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 6
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet doesn't have spots or cloudy mucous coating, that's brook which requires different treatment like formulin.
Thank you! The cloudiness has went down ever since i put him in QT with copper. Should I still treat with formalin or wait to see how he is doing by tonight. Dont want to overmedicate and stress either!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The black clown is in QT he was the only one who stopped eating and had white spots. I moved him to QT 8 hours ago when he was extremely cloudy. Cloudiness has gone down. Attaching photo of the black clown in QT and other fish in DT. I have also replied with videos in this thread if you want to look, thank you for any advice and help!!
Need better pics under white lighting. Rarely clowns get velvet but rather secondary infections, flukes and brook.
Any unusual behaviors with clown and other fish?
Normal or labored breathing?
Eating or loss of appetite?

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need better pics under white lighting. Rarely clowns get velvet but rather secondary infections, flukes and brook.
Any unusual behaviors with clown and other fish?
Normal or labored breathing?
Eating or loss of appetite?
I'll post more pics later when I'm home from work! As for unusual behavior:

Black clown has not been eating since yesterday. His breathing was very rapid and he was rubbing against sand before i QT him - now his breathing is much better and his swimming is more controlled rather than erratic. Not rubbing on glass either. . Cloudiness from his body is completely gone as well and his eyes seemed weird last night but he looks more like his usual self now!! But still not eating.

Other fish in DT -

1 Cardinal isnt eating but no other behavior.
1 cardinal is eating just fine!
1 clown is not eating as much as usual but I'm feeding frequently and he is taking 2 bites each time.
1 gramma - eating normally.

Everyone is swimming fine and breathing fine from the looks of it. and this has been one of the reason i have not been able to move them to QT. They are hard to catch and since most are eating, i dont want to stress further. As soon as I can catch the cardinal who hasnt eaten today, I'll move him to QT too or any other fish if they seem to get worse.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'll post more pics later when I'm home from work! As for unusual behavior:

Black clown has not been eating since yesterday. His breathing was very rapid and he was rubbing against sand before i QT him - now his breathing is much better and his swimming is more controlled rather than erratic. Not rubbing on glass either. . Cloudiness from his body is completely gone as well and his eyes seemed weird last night but he looks more like his usual self now!! But still not eating.

Other fish in DT -

1 Cardinal isnt eating but no other behavior.
1 cardinal is eating just fine!
1 clown is not eating as much as usual but I'm feeding frequently and he is taking 2 bites each time.
1 gramma - eating normally.

Everyone is swimming fine and breathing fine from the looks of it. and this has been one of the reason i have not been able to move them to QT. They are hard to catch and since most are eating, i dont want to stress further. As soon as I can catch the cardinal who hasnt eaten today, I'll move him to QT too or any other fish if they seem to get worse.
A preliminary guess may be flukes, but lets not assume until we see more on behavioral and breathing rates when you get home.
A video may be helpful in this instance, under white lighting

OP
OP
Mavsaltwater

Mavsaltwater

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A preliminary guess may be flukes, but lets not assume until we see more on behavioral and breathing rates when you get home.
A video may be helpful in this instance, under white lighting
This is not under white lighting but I took it this morning of the black clown in QT -

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back