Cloudy Eyeball

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 46 gallon bowfront that I started on May 31st. I fishless cycled the tank with Dr Tim's which was finished on July 17th. Afterwards I added a Royal Gramma, waited 2 weeks and added a Diamondback Goby.

On August 10th I added a Banghai Cardinalfish from someone else's tank. I believe the fish was being bullied and the guy drove him from an hour away to give him to me. As far as i noticed, the fish looked fine when I got him. Yesterday, I noticed his eye looked like it was bulging and wondered if he possibly hit it on something. Today it looks very cloudy and like there may be tissue sloughing from it. Does this look like parasites or an injury? What is the best manner to treat this?

Tank Info:
46gallon
Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity 6.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 38.5
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0.24

1000011432.jpg

Yesterday 8/15/2024
1000011348.jpg

1000011349.jpg

Today 8/16/2024

1000011421.jpg

1000011429.jpg

1000011431.jpg

Link to video

Thank you for your assistance!
#fishmedic

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello!

I have a 46 gallon bowfront that I started on May 31st. I fishless cycled the tank with Dr Tim's which was finished on July 17th. Afterwards I added a Royal Gramma, waited 2 weeks and added a Diamondback Goby.

On August 10th I added a Banghai Cardinalfish from someone else's tank. I believe the fish was being bullied and the guy drove him from an hour away to give him to me. As far as i noticed, the fish looked fine when I got him. Yesterday, I noticed his eye looked like it was bulging and wondered if he possibly hit it on something. Today it looks very cloudy and like there may be tissue sloughing from it. Does this look like parasites or an injury? What is the best manner to treat this?

Tank Info:
46gallon
Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity 6.2
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 38.5
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0.24

1000011432.jpg

Yesterday 8/15/2024
1000011348.jpg

1000011349.jpg

Today 8/16/2024

1000011421.jpg

1000011429.jpg

1000011431.jpg

Link to video

Thank you for your assistance!
#fishmedic

This can be bacterial but my suspect- minor scrape or injury which often heals well when treated in a separate tank using maracyn, not maracyn oxy for at least 5 days with added aeration via air stone.

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be bacterial but my suspect- minor scrape or injury which often heals well when treated in a separate tank using maracyn, not maracyn oxy for at least 5 days with added aeration via air stone.
Thank you so much! That's one I don't have. Going to order it now.

I do have Metroplex and Kanaplex. Would either of these work?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

You can work with kanamyacin - Kanaplex

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I think this is an injury from travel/transport - followed by bacterial infection. Kanaplex would be the choice of the 2 - not metroplex.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait - I'm seeing more here. The fish is breathing too deep/fast, and there seems to be some possible spots and mucus on its skin (look at the last pic). I can only see the right eye, is the left eye normal, or does it also have some haze to it?

This may just be a minor injury on the right eye, but there is something else going on with this fish.....

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Wait - I'm seeing more here. The fish is breathing too deep/fast, and there seems to be some possible spots and mucus on its skin (look at the last pic). I can only see the right eye, is the left eye normal, or does it also have some haze to it?

This may just be a minor injury on the right eye, but there is something else going on with this fish.....

Jay
Agree and suspicion of bacterial - your thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree and suspicion of bacterial - your thoughts?
Could be bacterial, but it would have to be systemic to cause rapid breathing like that. It is more likely a dual infection with either flukes or protozoans.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Could be bacterial, but it would have to be systemic to cause rapid breathing like that. It is more likely a dual infection with either flukes or protozoans.
Very true- much thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Symptoms aren’t there at least yet

Update on my rescue fishy.

I already had a quarantine tank up and running. I added Kanaplex to it and an airstone for extra oxygen.

Before I could even get him in there, he started swimming sideways and was going down to the bottom of the tank attempting to keep himself upright. We went ahead and got him out, acclimated him, and put him in the quarantine but it was too late for this guy.

There was definitely something else going on. I have been watching him and offering him flakes, pellets, and mysis but did not see him eat much if anything at all. I'm not sure if he was not eating due to stress or another problem.

Now I'm worried about my other two fish. I still have the Cardinalfish. Would I be able to see flukes on his body if I dip him in freshwater? Should I treat the display tank with Prazi? Any recommendations going forward?

I should have quarantined the Cardinalfish. Lesson learned. I'm going to stick to the two fish that I have for awhile and focus on keeping the tank and them healthy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Update on my rescue fishy.

I already had a quarantine tank up and running. I added Kanaplex to it and an airstone for extra oxygen.

Before I could even get him in there, he started swimming sideways and was going down to the bottom of the tank attempting to keep himself upright. We went ahead and got him out, acclimated him, and put him in the quarantine but it was too late for this guy.

There was definitely something else going on. I have been watching him and offering him flakes, pellets, and mysis but did not see him eat much if anything at all. I'm not sure if he was not eating due to stress or another problem.

Now I'm worried about my other two fish. I still have the Cardinalfish. Would I be able to see flukes on his body if I dip him in freshwater? Should I treat the display tank with Prazi? Any recommendations going forward?

I should have quarantined the Cardinalfish. Lesson learned. I'm going to stick to the two fish that I have for awhile and focus on keeping the tank and them healthy.
Can as Jay suggested other, also can be shock if fish was introduced iunto QT at a lower temperature as I recommend acclimating fish to a different tank. Sorry to hear

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, The left eye appeared fine. I did not notice anything off with him until yesterday except for him not eating. But he could have been breathing heavy and I didn't catch it.
Sorry to hear. With flukes, both eyes would be cloudy. You can give a freshly dead fish a 10 minute FW dip to scan for flukes, but most flukes are too small to see without a hand lens or low powered microscope.

Just watch your other fish for rapid breathing, some issues are contagious but others are not…

OP
OP
Raineforrest

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. With flukes, both eyes would be cloudy. You can give a freshly dead fish a 10 minute FW dip to scan for flukes, but most flukes are too small to see without a hand lens or low powered microscope.

Just watch your other fish for rapid breathing, some issues are contagious but others are not…
Thank you! They are probably wondering why I am staring them down. Lol I will keep a good eye on them and add a thing or two to my First Aid Kit. I feel a little better knowing that it would have been both eyes with flukes. I've been worried all day and researching flukes.

I'm about to do a scan of the Cardinalfish body and see if there are any marks. I read somewhere there might be red dots?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed this was an isolated incident. I've grown attached to the little boogers.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back