Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my shrimp has eggs. I noticed the shrimp lifting its tail up to its arms under its body. It has white eggs inside itself. How would i help the shrimp hatch the eggs, i think it would be awesome to have a bunch of them.

For a short answer on how to rear the young shrimp, see this thread:
For some more advice, feeding diatom-phytoplankton-enriched-rotifers and -Artemia (brine shrimp) has been shown to improve larval survival rates.* For diatom phytoplankton, Chaetoceros spp., Thalassiosira spp., and Isochrysis galbana (T-Iso) are all examples that should work well (Chaetoceros and Thalassiosira have both been used with recorded success, I would guess but don't know for sure that T-Iso would work just as well).

For a super in-depth look at some info involved in the breeding and rearing these guys, see the link at the bottom.**

*Source:
**In-depth link:

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a short answer on how to rear the young shrimp, see this thread:
For some more advice, feeding diatom-phytoplankton-enriched-rotifers and -Artemia (brine shrimp) has been shown to improve larval survival rates.* For diatom phytoplankton, Chaetoceros spp., Thalassiosira spp., and Isochrysis galbana (T-Iso) are all examples that should work well (Chaetoceros and Thalassiosira have both been used with recorded success, I would guess but don't know for sure that T-Iso would work just as well).

For a super in-depth look at some info involved in the breeding and rearing these guys, see the link at the bottom.**

*Source:
**In-depth link:
Thank you, just for a short answer would i start feeding the entire tank brine shrimp or just the shrimp directly? Or would i add live ones to the tank, there are currently tons of amphipods in my tank.

AquaCave Logo Banner

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, just for a short answer would i start feeding the entire tank brine shrimp or just the shrimp directly? Or would i add live ones to the tank, there are currently tons of amphipods in my tank.
You’ll probably need to setup a larval rearing tank (a tank to raise the baby shrimp in), as the babies would be eaten by the fish in most tanks.

The thread I shared above recommends transferring the shrimp with the eggs into the larval rearing tank when the eggs change to a lighter color (which should be about 10 days after the eggs show up) and keeping the parent shrimp in that tank until it spawns. Once it has spawned and you have the baby shrimp, move the parent shrimp back to the normal tank.

For feeding, adult amphipods are probably too large for the baby shrimp to eat. Soyou feed the whole larval rearing tank brine shrimp nauplii (baby brine shrimp); there are some super simple brine shrimp hatcheries that can be used for this - searching here on the forum can find you a few different ones that work. If I recall correctly, the super long paper above tells how many baby brine shrimp per milliliter should be fed (prey/feed stocking density), but I don’t know how many off the top of my head.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll probably need to setup a larval rearing tank (a tank to raise the baby shrimp in), as the babies would be eaten by the fish in most tanks.

The thread I shared above recommends transferring the shrimp with the eggs into the larval rearing tank when the eggs change to a lighter color (which should be about 10 days after the eggs show up) and keeping the parent shrimp in that tank until it spawns. Once it has spawned and you have the baby shrimp, move the parent shrimp back to the normal tank.

For feeding, adult amphipods are probably too large for the baby shrimp to eat. Soyou feed the whole larval rearing tank brine shrimp nauplii (baby brine shrimp); there are some super simple brine shrimp hatcheries that can be used for this - searching here on the forum can find you a few different ones that work. If I recall correctly, the super long paper above tells how many baby brine shrimp per milliliter should be fed (prey/feed stocking density), but I don’t know how many off the top of my head.
Ok thank you for the help, however at the moment i am not able to set up another tank, would it be unethical or a bad thing to just leave the shrimp in there and feed brine shrimp and hope for the best for them to survive.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for the help, however at the moment i am not able to set up another tank, would it be unethical or a bad thing to just leave the shrimp in there and feed brine shrimp and hope for the best for them to survive.
The tank used in the thread above is one gallon, so it doesn’t need to be a big/proper tank by any means, but if you can’t set one up right now, then feeding brine shrimp to your current tank and hoping for survivors (slim though the chances of survival are) is your best bet.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank used in the thread above is one gallon, so it doesn’t need to be a big/proper tank by any means, but if you can’t set one up right now, then feeding brine shrimp to your current tank and hoping for survivors (slim though the chances of survival are) is your best bet.
Sounds good thanks.

AquaCave Logo Banner

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they were hermaphrodites though.
They can’t self-fertilize so two paired shrimp are needed for successful mating! https://www.aquariumofpacific.org/onlinelearningcenter/species/pacific_cleaner_shrimp

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can’t self-fertilize so two paired shrimp are needed for successful mating! https://www.aquariumofpacific.org/onlinelearningcenter/species/pacific_cleaner_shrimp
Oh ok, well i do not see myself getting another shrimp anytime soon, thank you, glad to know i don’t have to worry about it.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back