Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone’s method for dosing in tank? Do you back it up with bacteria after each dose? After the treatment? What else do you put in tank to help or recover from your cipro treatment?

BRS

Muffin87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fauna Marin has a biocide treatment called Stn / Rtn X. It’s not an antibiotic, but the purpose of the treatment is pretty much the same as Cipro: killing pathogenic bacteria and ciliates.
You can read about it on this link.

With fauna Marin’a treatment, they suggest dosing one of their bacterial mixture „BACTO THERAPY“ with 3 ml/ 26 G, during the biocide treatment.
I’d imagine the reason would be to outcompete pathogenic bacteria for space while replacing beneficial bacteria that are dying because of the biocide action of the treatment (and selling more of their bacteria obvious).

So I suppose you could do a Cipro treatment and then dose a bottled mixture of rapidly reproducing heterotrophic bacteria of your choice.
Those are the bacteria dosed for carbon dosing or improving water quality, they not the bacteria used for cycling a new tank.

just an idea.

OP
OP
jason247365

jason247365

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fauna Marin has a biocide treatment called Stn / Rtn X. It’s not an antibiotic, but the purpose of the treatment is pretty much the same as Cipro: killing pathogenic bacteria and ciliates.
You can read about it on this link.

With fauna Marin’a treatment, they suggest dosing one of their bacterial mixture „BACTO THERAPY“ with 3 ml/ 26 G, during the biocide treatment.
I’d imagine the reason would be to outcompete pathogenic bacteria for space while replacing beneficial bacteria that are dying because of the biocide action of the treatment (and selling more of their bacteria obvious).

So I suppose you could do a Cipro treatment and then dose a bottled mixture of rapidly reproducing heterotrophic bacteria of your choice.
Those are the bacteria dosed for carbon dosing or improving water quality, they not the bacteria used for cycling a new tank.

just an idea.
I like the suggestions. Pretty much what I’m doing. I wonder how king everyone keeps their skimmer and uv off while running cipro? What you think

World Wide Corals

Outlaw Corals

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone’s method for dosing in tank? Do you back it up with bacteria after each dose? After the treatment? What else do you put in tank to help or recover from your cipro treatment?
When I use Cipro for it and tank treatment I also use chemi clean and treat it for 48 hours, i then do a water change and add some micro bacter 7 and run some carbon for a few day’s

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people do not think this is a good idea - for several reasons - one of them being how quickly cipro is inactivated in a lit environment. So to answer your question, unless you know what you're treating, I wouldn't add it to the tank. In any case, hopefully whatever problem you're having will be resolved

OP
OP
jason247365

jason247365

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people do not think this is a good idea - for several reasons - one of them being how quickly cipro is inactivated in a lit environment. So to answer your question, unless you know what you're treating, I wouldn't add it to the tank. In any case, hopefully whatever problem you're having will be resolved
Yeah I disagree with those folks. Sorry not trying to argue I just fully disagree. You dose it at night anyways

Nutramar Foods

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you can prevent tissue necrosis by keeping a reef tank free of detritus and by culling out new growths routinely vs letting colonies turn into untouched tree trunks inside a system over decades / reducing flow patterns and dilution in the system. We don’t have tissue necrosis in rip clean threads, my lps and sps nano reef is approaching 18 yrs old and isnt ever going to see cipro use, ever, there are better ways to reef than the ways that wind up requiring antibiotics.

Last edited:

itrymybest

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you can prevent tissue necrosis by keeping a reef tank free of detritus and by culling out new growths routinely vs letting colonies turn into untouched tree trunks inside a system over decades / reducing flow patterns and dilution in the system. We don’t have tissue necrosis in rip clean threads, my lps and sps nano reef is approaching 18 yrs old and isnt ever going to see cipro use, ever, there are better ways to reef than the ways that wind up requiring antibiotics.
how do you manage BJD? That is what I use cipro for.

Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you manage BJD? That is what I use cipro for.
If the conditions in your tank were proper, you would not need cipro. IMHO - unless you have some evidence that bacteria xxxx. - sensitive to cipro - cures disease yyy

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I disagree with those folks. Sorry not trying to argue I just fully disagree. You dose it at night anyways
And the proof - please let us all know - that cipro cures every coral disease - without risking antibiotic resistance to human beings.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back