Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a group of Chromis in my quarantine fish and wanted everyone’s opinion on a possible injury or disease seen on one of the fish? Looks like it’s a bruise under the scales?

8EC37639-DEE0-4C01-8CFC-EC3B1F7729C8.jpeg
BD19792B-30D3-4458-B92B-995510193F75.jpeg 6DDAAA46-B2AD-402E-A93D-1CAC7B163095.jpeg

World Wide Corals
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a group of Chromis in my quarantine fish and wanted everyone’s opinion on a possible injury or disease seen on one of the fish? Looks like it’s a bruise under the scales?

View attachment 2544276 View attachment 2544277 View attachment 2544278

Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

That is almost assuredly Uronema, a very nasty internal protozoan disease that is very common in new green chromis. It really isn't treatable. It grows in the fish's internal tissues and once you see it break through the skin, it is too late. Luckily, it isn't easily spread from fish to fish, but it is possible that some of the other chromis in the group may be harboring it. Seahorses and seadragons develop an external form of this that can sometimes be treated with formalin, but I've never been able to treat this internal form...sorry.

Here is a link to an article I wrote on it:

Jay

OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it’s uronema….I euthanized that Chromis. I ordered some metronidazole to treat the rest prophylactically but should also set up another clean QT and transfer them rest out of that tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it’s uronema….I euthanized that Chromis. I ordered some metronidazole to treat the rest prophylactically but should also set up another clean QT and transfer them rest out of that tank?

Metro typically won't cure uronema in the fish itself, but may help reduce the number of free-living uronema in the tank (and thus help stop it from spreading).

Personally, I think you'll just need to ride it out in the main QT, a new QT can be pretty stressful (ammonia issues, etc.)

Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx Jay. Thanks to amazon getting Seachem Metroplex and Kanaplex tomorrow. Got to love 1 day shipping! Plan on treating the QT tank for 14 days with this. I guess Kanaplex is absorbed by fish without needing to eat. So far none of the other Chromis have signs of uronema. Fingers Crossed.

After I treat with Abx and none of these guys develop signs or symptoms in the next couple weeks I'll transfer to the DT. Anyone have thoughts on if I should be concerned for seeding the DT with this parasite at that point?

I keep this thread updated if anyones is curious.

OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So changed my plan a little ended up getting some prescription chloroquine and just dosed that once at 60mg/gallon. Removed my biological filters and carbon. I have once of those seachem ammonia alert badges in the tank and plan on dosing with seachem prime during these next 10 days. Fingers crossed I did it right. Would love keep the rest of these beautiful chromis.
AEEEC236-72D6-4987-9709-F9517A819F18.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So changed my plan a little ended up getting some prescription chloroquine and just dosed that once at 60mg/gallon. Removed my biological filters and carbon. I have once of those seachem ammonia alert badges in the tank and plan on dosing with seachem prime during these next 10 days. Fingers crossed I did it right. Would love keep the rest of these beautiful chromis. View attachment 2545670

Why did you remove your biofilter? Carbon is reported to remove CP (but my bench testing showed that it didn't) but I don't see any upside to removing the biofilter...

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you remove your biofilter? Carbon is reported to remove CP (but my bench testing showed that it didn't) but I don't see any upside to removing the biofilter...

Jay
I was reading on humble fish that the nitrogen cycle bacteria will breakdown the chloroquine? If not I certainly will put it back in for the fishes sake! What are you thoughts? @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after treating for 10 days with chloroquine 4 of the original 11 chromis made it. Moved them to a holding tank to watch for another 7 days. No signs of uronema so far! They are doing great in the holding tank.

36% survival rate yikes! They are really cool fish. I may get another batch and treat with chloroquine right from the beginning.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Diaper
Back