Chiller run time/interval question

320reeferid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, greetings from Indonesia

Not entirely new to the hobby, but, just recently re-started the hobby

I recently bought a 1/10 HP chiller (Hailea HK-150A) for my 150L tank with no sump. Average room temperature here is around 29-30C (84-86F). While the target for my tank is around 27C (80F). For the last few days i have observed the run time of the chiller is around 40-45 minutes with interval of 3.5 to 4hrs. Im running the water to the chiller and back directly to the tank with the rate of 1000lph (264gph) with recommended flow rate of 800-1500lph

The question is, is that normal/efficient? Does plumbing length affect the efficiency temperature wise?

Much appreciated!

IMG_0665.png
IMG_0664.png

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s most definitely not right.
Chillers in my experience should usually run for around 5 to 15 minutes MAX.

I’ve been using the HC 1/10 (years ago), and today I’m using the 1/3 and the Teco Tk2000 - none run past 15 minutes at a time, even on really hot days.

That being said, all my chillers always were placed under the tank, so no long lines - but I doubt it’d have that much influence.

If I had the same problem I’d check for gas leaks and verify the temperature sensor is indeed reading correctly the water temperature.

OP
OP

320reeferid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s most definitely not right.
Chillers in my experience should usually run for around 5 to 15 minutes MAX.

I’ve been using the HC 1/10 (years ago), and today I’m using the 1/3 and the Teco Tk2000 - none run past 15 minutes at a time, even on really hot days.

That being said, all my chillers always were placed under the tank, so no long lines - but I doubt it’d have that much influence.

If I had the same problem I’d check for gas leaks and verify the temperature sensor is indeed reading correctly the water temperature.
Much appreciated for the reply. I bought it second-hand, and its my first time using chiller so i barely have any experience with this. Definitely gonna talk to the previous owner. Thanks

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back