Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve got a LFS here that has an email list you can get on. When they go to put in an order with wholesalers for livestock they send out a mass email to people on the list to see what else customers want. They add a bit on top of the wholesale price but a few bucks on top for a few fish beats $50 on top for that same purchase in shipping costs if you order it yourself. They’ll only hold on to those add on orders for a max of two days though. Might be worth asking around your LFSs to see if any of them are willing to do the same. Heck, even the petco by me will do it if you ask. The one here orders a lot through ORA and they’ll let you tag stuff on and let you know when the shipment comes in.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Bartwick

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd seriously research the longevity of bangaii groups if your set on them because unless you have a very large tank they tend to either kill each other off or avoid each other as they mature.
Thank you for your post. Wish I knew it sooner. I lost 5 relatively quickly leaving one alive.

Nutramar Foods

fattiremike

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried threadfin, bangaii, pajama, and black cardinals. I always bought 5. They all end up with only a breeding pair. The only schooling/schoaling fish I have had any luck with are blue/green chromis. I purchased 15 tiny ones two years ago and still have 12. I feed the heck out of the tank, I think that helps.

Sailfin11

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also from the northwest suburbs (Vernon Hills). What stores are you looking at? Most LFS's will give you big discounts for buying large quantities. On most wholesale lists, Bangaii's are $3 each so I think you could reasonably get them for $15 each is you buy a school.

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish will actually school in your tank .... few will even schoal. Occasionally swim by each other out of sheer luck. Cheapest group fish is probably the yellow tail damsel. Green chromis are just too much trouble.

World Wide Corals

Gogoggansgo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis aren’t really schooling fish but shoaling rather. But I guess bang for your buck wise, they’re the best. They can be aggressive and some have luck, some don’t. For me they work.
[/QUOTE

I’ve had green chromis in my tank for almost a year now and all of the sudden all 3 have gone they’re own separate ways, to only now be jerks lol. I feel like i got damsels in the tank, they don’t hurt anything but they got big and fat with Attitudes

Gogoggansgo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. I was going to order from them, but the post ive seen on here in the past few days i think ill pass. Regular red firefish are $25 at my LFS vs $10 at liveaquaria, but Id rather buy local where I know the fish are taken care of.

my angel fish came from liveAquaria and I’ve been fighting head in the hole with him from the week i got him and he’s still very small, after 8 months. I will say all the crabs and gobys I’ve gotten where very good but angels or oddball fish no thank you

ScottR

Surfing....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pic. Almost lights out. But they always swim in a line like this. There’s a fourth one that’s camera shy. They will chase each other around here and there but never too aggressive. Had them a year now.
87F83417-965C-42AA-ADA2-DD9F86C754A9.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can look at blue eyed (also called threadfin) cardinals. I think I paid around $15 ea at my LFS's. I've got 9 right now. They don't take each other out like Benghaii's will. They all stay pretty much in a group most of the time. I've had half of mine for over two years and they're now 1 1/2" - 2" long. Once they're settled in and comfortable in the tank the eyes really glow blue.
threadfin-cardinalfish1.jpg

jsvand5

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that was the case but my LFS probably gets 20+ on average order, yeah might try talking to one online

Bangaii cardinals will kill each other off one by one until only a pair remains. Definitely don’t spend money on a bunch of them hoping to see them live together in a group.

Threadfin cardinals are better but still pick off each other sometimes.

tomiebayly

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have one of those stores that sell everything almost 50% more expensive than anybody else lol. Bangaiis have gone up in price, but I can still find them here $17 and up. I currently have 7 in my 120. Love them!
my friend, here in Canada still sell them most of the stores for 35$ i cant afford one, lol let alone school of them :(

AquaCave Logo Banner

Deezill

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish will actually school in your tank .... few will even schoal. Occasionally swim by each other out of sheer luck. Cheapest group fish is probably the yellow tail damsel. Green chromis are just too much trouble.
I agree with @ca1ore on the chromis. They will just hunt each other down and take each other out until threre is only one left. Check out my thread.
We have been talking about Chromis. And the results are in. Just like the Highlander there can only be one.
I went with 11 Talbot damsels, and I am getting some kupang damsels.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been talking about Chromis. And the results are in. Just like the Highlander there can only be one.
How are the damsels doing? I'd seen another post about doing a large group of them. I've had them in the past but only one at a time.

Deezill

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the damsels doing? I'd seen another post about doing a large group of them. I've had them in the past but only one at a time.
The Talbots are doing just fine. I got 11 from saltwaterfish.com I feed them pellets, mysis, and flake food. They eat very well
They are very small and I look forward to them growing more. I think I got babies. But there is really no aggression. I have only seen one chase one around a short distance.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Deezill

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 kupang damsels in my 150 that i am putting into my new build and they are model residents. I want to add 8 more kupangs. I like small fish. I will stock my new 210 with damsels and anthias. I do have 4 tangs which is all i will put for that species.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Talbots are doing just fine. I got 11 from saltwaterfish.com I feed them pellets, mysis, and flake food. They eat very well
They are very small and I look forward to them growing more. I think I got babies. But there is really no aggression. I have only seen one chase one around a short distance.
Thanks. I'm going to be downsizing and think the blue eye's may be a bit too large and was looking for a smaller alternative.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ScottR

Surfing....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @ca1ore on the chromis. They will just hunt each other down and take each other out until threre is only one left. Check out my thread.
Some people have luck with chromis while others don’t. In all of my years of fish keeping, these have given me the least trouble of any fish I can think of.

Deezill

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have luck with chromis while others don’t. In all of my years of fish keeping, these have given me the least trouble of any fish I can think of.
I wish I had such luck. My experience is they get together for drinks and decide they are going to make one in the group disappear. Then the next day I am counting and I see that I am short one. (True Story) So I thought he was watching tv
in another tank (seems far fetched considering I only had 1 tank.) I never found the body and it is still a mystery till this day. To be honest I never find the body of any of them. Maybe they pay the garbage men of the tank (cleaner shrimp and Snails) to take the garbage out. I always end up with one and he disappears too. I always check around the tank on the floor for jumpers.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back