Chaeto in reactor was growing great first two weeks, has been slowly dying since then

chousecat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running chaeto in a Tunze macroreactor for about a month now, the first two weeks the chaeto was growing like crazy and I was running it for 18 hours. Switch to just a 12 hour light cycle opposite of my tank lights and noticed the growth has stalled to what looks like this brown/red slime covering/choking it. Kinda looks like cyano?

It also has stopped reducing my phosphates. My nitrates remain well at 10ppm but my phosphate has gotten upwards towards 0.7 (I should preface that I have been struggling with phosphates prior which is why I installed this reactor, the chaeto used to bring it down to 0.2)

Any ideas on what is happening to my chaeto? I recently bought some Brightwell Chaetogrow to promote maybe some strength into it?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running chaeto in a Tunze macroreactor for about a month now, the first two weeks the chaeto was growing like crazy and I was running it for 18 hours. Switch to just a 12 hour light cycle opposite of my tank lights and noticed the growth has stalled to what looks like this brown/red slime covering/choking it. Kinda looks like cyano?

It also has stopped reducing my phosphates. My nitrates remain well at 10ppm but my phosphate has gotten upwards towards 0.7 (I should preface that I have been struggling with phosphates prior which is why I installed this reactor, the chaeto used to bring it down to 0.2)

Any ideas on what is happening to my chaeto? I recently bought some Brightwell Chaetogrow to promote maybe some strength into it?
Can you rinse it off ?
Maybe try to put it in a colander and spray in the sink?

OP
OP
C

chousecat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you rinse it off ?
Maybe try to put it in a colander and spray in the sink?
I did once with old water change water but it seemed to have grown back, maybe I didn't put enough force into it. Can chaeto tolerate rinses with tap water at the sink? If so, I'll give it a try asap

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
C

chousecat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 100% sure, but iwould think so.

Mind blown, I'll give this a try. Ty

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back