+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I need an advice here.
I have a refugium with a chaeto set about 15 days ago. It was fine until yesterday when started to break in a few pieces. Today in the morning it was worse, so I took out from the sump because started to spread a lot of pieces in the tank. It is still green despite all of that (attached a photo)
What has changed in the last 2 days: I noticed MG and CA were too low: 1100 and 350 respectively and started to dose red sea mg and CA calcium. They are both increasing now about 20 ppm per day, but still low: 1160 and 400.
The questions are:
Is Chaeto suffering or this is normal? Is this caused by the supplement dosing?
What can I do about that?
Thank you!
IMG_20210410_093757.jpg

Corals.com
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum, well, it is a DIY light... It is not a Kessil or something similar...
You may want to increase the photoperiod or lower the light to increase intensity, you may want to try a hydroponic light, it doesn’t need to be fancy. Your chaeto can get light more than 20 hrs a day.

Mono

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have a hard time keeping chaeto happy myself although most people would not consider losing chaeto an emergency...unless of course you were losing chaeto because your sump sprung a leak. But then again, an "emergency" is a subjective thing.

For me it often grows and then crashes or does OK for a while then gets brittle and falls apart.

I have never really found an answer.

Things I've experimented with:

I've recently increased the flow in my refugium. That can potentially help. I've heard chaeto likes strong flow.
Dosing some iron, manganese and molybdenum can help.
They have a short article on chaeto on the Algae Barn website. They say it's hard to over-light chaeto BUT if it's having a hard time maybe cutting back on the photo period might help.

The best solution I've found is a fellow reefer named Brian who gives me the chaeto he's gonna throw away anway and I toss him a few frags.

Find Brian.

BRS

BiggestE222

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have a hard time keeping chaeto happy myself although most people would not consider losing chaeto an emergency...unless of course you were losing chaeto because your sump sprung a leak. But then again, an "emergency" is a subjective thing.

For me it often grows and then crashes or does OK for a while then gets brittle and falls apart.

I have never really found an answer.

Things I've experimented with:

I've recently increased the flow in my refugium. That can potentially help. I've heard chaeto likes strong flow.
Dosing some iron, manganese and molybdenum can help.
They have a short article on chaeto on the Algae Barn website. They say it's hard to over-light chaeto BUT if it's having a hard time maybe cutting back on the photo period might help.

The best solution I've found is a fellow reefer named Brian who gives me the chaeto he's gonna throw away anway and I toss him a few frags.

Find Brian.
Dosing a little bit of Iodine will help them handle the long photosynthetic process as well.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back