Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is odd. How big is the reservoir of water the tunze is situated on/in. I have the 8831 and do not experience any sort of heat/raised temperature from it. It runs 12 hrs overnight about 1/4" off the water. Unless you have a defective unit how could we both use it but not both experience the same heat from it?
Its hard to imagine a 10W led light producing enough heat to raise 40G of water from mid 70's to 80 degrees but there doesn't seem to be too many other options.

Do you have a way to ventilate the cabinet your sump is in. Im sure some airflow would significantly help the situation
Im thinking the same. I guess i can always cut a cole in cabinet for a fan port. I guess ill try that

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is odd. How big is the reservoir of water the tunze is situated on/in. I have the 8831 and do not experience any sort of heat/raised temperature from it. It runs 12 hrs overnight about 1/4" off the water. Unless you have a defective unit how could we both use it but not both experience the same heat from it?

Could be camera angle, but is the light sitting in the water? It looks like one end is from the pic

My guess is the heat sink is partially submerged adding the heat to the water instead of venting it out. Still seems like high increase though for such a light. @rvitko may have some suggestions?
so i can agree with that and I will try without being in the water but i also had a kessil light that was making things way hotter and it was not sitting in the water. Im thinking a fan might be my only resort

landlubber

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sure you know this by now but an h380 is 10x more fuge light than required for a 20 gallon sump and the common issues end up being the inability to get it far enough away for light spread, heating the water and blasting your macro to the point is dying off.
i ran one for its entire life cycle and it is certainly possible that over the space of a night in a display and sump that small it could heat the tank water that much.
if this were my tank i'd be looking to sell of the h380 and replacing it with the proper sized light for a set up that small, its little brother the kessil H80.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back