Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best bet is just to work through zoanthids.com. That said, you will see the same zoa with multiple names based on source. For example, the Daisy Cutter / Stargazers.

That said, I've been thinking about taking this up myself by putting all of the known names on the photos. There are a LOT of them however.

I don't mean to discourage you because I think this is a valuable effort toward standardizing. It's just a long road so don't try to take it up in one day lol

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey guys!! Zoabrary.com

anyone can add new zoas and I think there are several hundred listed already

I have credentials from the admin and was adding, updating stuff at the beginning of 2020, but lost motivation as the pandemic wore on. From conversations he seemed pretty burnt out, it’s not a paying gig or anything, just a labor of love. I emailed him directly and was able to get rolling but that was also 3 years ago.

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have credentials from the admin and was adding, updating stuff at the beginning of 2020, but lost motivation as the pandemic wore on. From conversations he seemed pretty burnt out, it’s not a paying gig or anything, just a labor of love. I emailed him directly and was able to get rolling but that was also 3 years ago.
I love the site and added a bunch of entries during the pandemic and spent hours scrolling through all the listings. I would really love for the general public to start adding zoas and also vendors when they release a new zoa

Top Shelf Aquatics

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I love the site and added a bunch of entries during the pandemic and spent hours scrolling through all the listings. I would really love for the general public to start adding zoas and also vendors when they release a new zoa

I should say I have admin credentials. It’s nice people can login and begin adding stuff. The caveat is that given the amount of erroneous or one-off ID’s on this forum there’s the potential to dilute the usefulness of it. It would be nice to have a way for multiple people to validate any ID.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where?
Nevermind…. Found it.

Corals.com

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say I have admin credentials. It’s nice people can login and begin adding stuff. The caveat is that given the amount of erroneous or one-off ID’s on this forum there’s the potential to dilute the usefulness of it. It would be nice to have a way for multiple people to validate any ID.
Maybe a system like the one Wikipedia has? Where people can edit the post? It would definitely be nice to combine posts such as “daisy cutters” and “stargazers” into the same listing

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Nice work. I don’t Instagram so I get booted after a bit but nice collection!

Thanks, that IG account goes back to 2016 but I started collecting in 2010. There’s probably some 350-400 strains both named and unnamed. One thing working in its favor is that the lighting and lens filter is consistent over long periods of time (I’ve changed filters a handful of times). But, I don’t juice pics so what you’re seeing is a pretty accurate representation of what stuff looks like.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Maybe a system like the one Wikipedia has? Where people can edit the post? It would definitely be nice to combine posts such as “daisy cutters” and “stargazers” into the same listing

I tried doing that on a few as I recall. But yeah, with legacy knowledge of strains you can cut through the marketing name game and eliminate superfluous IDs. Plenty of strains can go in buckets or silos of ‘same types.’

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AFX
Back