Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 months ago I purchased a dogface puffer for my reef tank. I had a porcupine a few years ago and adored him so thought I'd have a dogface this time. For the first 3 days I couldn't get him to eat, and on the fourth day, I found him dead. I tested all my water parameters and everything was good. All the other fish and corals were fine. I figured it was just bad luck or a previously sick fish.

Last week I purchased another one. Same thing.... wouldn't eat and found him dead today. Every other fish is fine. Are they incredibly sensitive to something that I can check for? I can't believe it's just coincidence.
Sue

Top Shelf Aquatics

JZ199

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were you attempting to feed them, and how did you go about acclimating them?

Did you check with the store to see what they were feeding them or if they were eating fine at the store?

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come in with internal parasites frequently, not eating is an indicator. If you really want one you would need an observation/qt tank you could use to treat with general cure. They can also be difficult at 1st and some live ghost shrimp will trigger a feeding response, then they are generally pigs that will eat most things offered. Chunky foods like chopped seafood, clams, shrimp, scallop, etc.

Did you test sg in transport bag and acclimate, or just float and dump. A sg rise more than .002 can cause osmotic shock, this can cause a quick death also. If rising more than .002 an extended acclimation would be necessary to be safe. An observation tank to match sg also comes in handy in this case. Many lfs and suppliers can run sg as low 1.018, and rising to a reef at 1.025 is very dangerous.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were you attempting to feed them, and how did you go about acclimating them?

Did you check with the store to see what they were feeding them or if they were eating fine at the store?
The first one was at the store for a week, I saw him the previous week and decided to wait and see if he were still there the next time I went in (which he was). When I couldn't get him to eat I contacted the LFS (friends of mine) and they said he was eating mysis.

The second dogface? My bad in that I purchased him right after he arrived at the LFS. He was still in the bag and I thought "rather than make the poor guy acclimate twice, just buy him right now and he'll only need to acclimate once."
Sue

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come in with internal parasites frequently, not eating is an indicator. If you really want one you would need an observation/qt tank you could use to treat with general cure. They can also be difficult at 1st and some live ghost shrimp will trigger a feeding response, then they are generally pigs that will eat most things offered. Chunky foods like chopped seafood, clams, shrimp, scallop, etc.

Did you test sg in transport bag and acclimate, or just float and dump. A sg rise more than .002 can cause osmotic shock, this can cause a quick death also. If rising more than .002 an extended acclimation would be necessary to be safe. An observation tank to match sg also comes in handy in this case. Many lfs and suppliers can run sg as low 1.018, and rising to a reef at 1.025 is very dangerous.

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the first dogface truly eating at the LFS? Of course I can never know for sure, perhaps one of the employees just throws in mysis and assumed they all eat. I always speak with the owner but he doesn't personally feed every fish in there. And he usually stops me from purchasing a fish that he's unsure of or suspects might have issues - he wasn't there the day I purchased the second one.... he would have never let me take it on it's delivery day.

I acclimated both of them by floating for 20 minutes, then opening the bag, removing some water, and using a turkey baster to add some of my tank water. I do that 3 times about every 15 minutes and then put him in the tank.

I have a blue-spot puffer in there that's been doing great for months and I'm tempted to get a porcupine next since they've never died on me. Are the dogface traditionally more susceptible/sensitive to illness and changes in water parameters? I don't want to "kill" another dogface, as much as I want to have one. I do dog rescue and foster and it only seems fitting that I should have a "dog" in my tank, too.
Sue

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to answer about what I tried feeding: I typically feed Rod's Foods, but bought mysis for the dogface. When he wasn't showing interest in either of those I tried raw shrimp, a raw clam, and live feeder fish.

I didn't realize they are THAT sensitive to salinity changes..... I will definitely start checking salinity in the store water before I acclimate any more fish. Thanks for that info.
Sue

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal parasites are a big deal with puffers because of the conditions in transport, they will scavenge food, which also means poo. So a good observation and being prepared for treatment of internal parasites would be a good thing.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Deltec
Back