Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So during the first feeding of the day, I like to observe all the fish, make sure they are eating, and just in general make sure everything is looking up to spec. Well today I saw something that I wouldn't believe unless I saw it for myself.

I'll start off by saying, my Royal Gramma is one of the first fish I put in my tank about 8 months ago. He established his little cave / home relatively early and its pretty much common knowledge with my tank inhabitants that area is "off-limits". Getting too close to this area means you get met with angry face and wide open mouth. Any snails that enter his area get yeeted into the stratosphere etc... you get the idea.

Well... In comes the full sized Pom-Pom Crab. Now I didn't think much of it, but in the back of my mind I was a little nervous... The crab was creeping into the RG's cave and I thought to myself this might not be good. At first, I don't think the RG noticed it entering but then the crab positioned itself so it was basically blocking the front entrance to the cave and immediately the RG charged at it with an open mouth. Except instead of retreating like most things, the crab gave the RG a nice little anemone punch and it completely threw the RG off guard. He quickly swam out of his cave looked confused and butted himself up against the glass laying down on his side breathing heavily.

This is where he still currently is. Laying on his side breathing heavily. He still seems responsive to things around him but is completely away from his cave (which he never is) and is laying down on his side. I'm monitoring him currently and the expression on his face is "shocked". Definitely looks stressed out. Keep in mind this is a perfectly healthy fish that has been eating just fine, and I watched him eat prior to this encounter (so please leave the disease comments out of it).

Anyone else experience a Pom-Pom crab tagging a fish with some ill-effects afterwards?

Avast
Top Shelf Aquatics

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your RG got a much needed attitude adjustment... haha

Seriously though, good to hear he's better. I bet he got stung in a sensitive spot but sounds like he should make a full recovery.

Be curious if he makes life changes after this incident.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know the crab was just showing the RG it's portable friends, and the Gramma was so stunned by how beautiful they were it raced off to tell the rest of the tank, but ran into the glass because he wasn't watching where he was going.
Happy I Love You GIF by pikaole

As the fish lay there, in awe of the beauty of the world around it, the Royal Gramma realized there was more to the world than just a cave to defend...

Dog Playing GIF by MOODMAN

And they all lived rich and fulfilling lives as tankmates...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back