Candy Cane - irritated and receding - pest?

HarperFish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got this trumpet coral March 21st. We dipped it in iodine when we first got it and started it in the bottom of the tank. The first picture (in the dark) was taken on March 26 - showing it's feeders. On March 28th we moved it to the middle of the tank (second pic shows it's location). When we moved it it we noticed some of the green flesh looking a bit flaky. I thought maybe I got some glue on it or otherwise irritated it during the move. I started noticing a bit of the white skeleton showing after a few days. So we checked how much flow it was getting and started looking closely at water parameters. The flow seems to be moderate to low moderate. You can see the Reefwave 25 in the full tank picture, and the Cristada torch at about the same level. The torch sways gently - not getting blasted. It feels like the Candy Cane is getting similar flow. The parameters seemed mostly ok except that we were approaching an ultra low nutrient situation. Phosphate was .009 and nitrate had been steadily decreasing in the previous weeks was at .88. So we began dosing Tropic Marin Plus NP. We have a RedSea E 170 Max with ReefLED 90. I have attached a pic of the lighting program. Last weekend the second stalk started showing more white. They have feeders out at night (after the first few days) and we target feed 2 or 3 times per week. Tank has very peaceful fish - nothing has bothered it - no crabs in the tank either. We do a 10% water change every week using Tropic Marin Syn-Biotic Salt. We test several times per week. Today our parameters are: Salinity 34/1.025, temp 78, Alkalinity 9.0, pH 8.0, Phosphate (ppm calculated) .052, Calcium 433, Magnesium 1290, Nitrate .01. I use Milwalkee digital for salinity, Aqua Forest for Magnesium, and Hanna Checkers for everything else. Today we noticed this thing on the left stalk. It is not in earlier pics. I can't imagine that it is new growth because of all of the recession - so maybe it is a pest that has been irritating the coral. Please help me figure out what it is and what I should do.

IMG_0178.jpg IMG_1372.JPG IMG_1374.jpg IMG_C807B1B34E5B-1.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

JGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a vermetid but in reality I think the coral is fine. I think the 2hite from what I can see is fiefs so the more the better. Don’t think it’s receding.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
First thing is to get it off the sand as sand will irritate it and elevate at least 4 ". Needs moderate light and water flow and sensitive to high nitrates-salinity-mag and ph

The left side of the pic below looks like either a tunicate or flatworm but a little blue to tell in pic and also an isopod which that is safe. Remove it outside of the tank and discard to be safe

1618796905457.png

Nutramar Foods

Alexopora

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a vermetid but in reality I think the coral is fine. I think the 2hite from what I can see is fiefs so the more the better. Don’t think it’s receding.
+1 That is definitely a vermitid. Definitely not a a tunicate or flatworm. It is possible that the presence of the vermitid may further aggravate your candy cane. If you can remove the entire coral from the tank, it would be easier to scrap off the vermitid. If you can’t you could either use glue or epoxy to seal shut the vermitids opening. That should kill it.

OP
OP
H

HarperFish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 That is definitely a vermitid. Definitely not a a tunicate or flatworm. It is possible that the presence of the vermitid may further aggravate your candy cane. If you can remove the entire coral from the tank, it would be easier to scrap off the vermitid. If you can’t you could either use glue or epoxy to seal shut the vermitids opening. That should kill it.
How old is the tank? Are u feeding ? This seems like phosphate and nitrate deprived
Yes. We are struggling with nitrate and phosphate. We feed several times a week and are dosing Plus NP. I am hopeful that removing the vermatid will allow this coral a chance to recover.

OP
OP
H

HarperFish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing is to get it off the sand as sand will irritate it and elevate at least 4 ". Needs moderate light and water flow and sensitive to high nitrates-salinity-mag and ph

The left side of the pic below looks like either a tunicate or flatworm but a little blue to tell in pic and also an isopod which that is safe. Remove it outside of the tank and discard to be safe

View attachment 2135678
Thank you. He is not on the sand anymore. He is in the middle of the tank. I just popped him out of the tank and scraped that thing off in a separate container. Hope this is the end of the problem!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you. He is not on the sand anymore. He is in the middle of the tank. I just popped him out of the tank and scraped that thing off in a separate container. Hope this is the end of the problem!
I knew that was not a vermetid as it was clear- vermetid tube is made of calcium/sand (Calcarious). Glad it’s removed. Do look for any sign of eggs which are tiny but you should be okay
As for nitrate/phosphate issues- add a pouch of chemipure blue or elite which will keep them in check while also polishing water and remove any toxins if present

Alexopora

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you scraped it off, was it soft or hard like a shell?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back