Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setting up a new tank and it looks like I didnt rinse my sand well enough and the water is very cloudy. I was thinking of packing my filter socks with floss and cleaning out the sediment that way,. Or will it just clear naturally?

CLICK TO VIEW

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use the socks floss probably won’t help all that much for cloudy water. How cloudy are we talking ? Like a gallon of milk cloudy ? It should clear up in a few days but depending on how well you rinsed the substrate it could cloud up again when you agitate the sand bed.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use the socks floss probably won’t help all that much for cloudy water. How cloudy are we talking ? Like a gallon of milk cloudy ? It should clear up in a few days but depending on how well you rinsed the substrate it could cloud up again when you agitate the sand bed.
+1 on this... filter floss is coarser than sock so would not be as effective as a sock. I'd let it be and replace/clean the filter sock often, it should clear up in few days.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
D

dave48

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. I wondered if the socks were fine enough mesh to take out such small particles
No not like milk but pretty hazy . I would like to clear as much as possible rather than waiting until it just settles because as you say.. it will cloud up again whenever the sand is agitated

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don’t personally run sand in any of my tanks now for a few reasons but when I did I used the special grade reef sand from Carib Sea and man that stuff was a pain in the butt to rinse lol. But again if you didn’t really try to thoroughly rinse most of the sediment out as you can see it will cloud up your display. Again it’s not the end of the world it will eventually clear up just maybe not as fast as you’d like.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back