Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin tang will beat up the hippo tang so add a sailfin that's much smaller than the hippo and add it very last. Mine beats up my foxface and any other tang. Mandarins are not bothered by even the most aggressive fish they produce noxious slime and the colors are aposematic.

Last edited:
Avast

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin tang will beat up the hippo tang so add a sailfin that's much smaller than the hippo and add it very last. Mine beats up my foxface and any other tang. Mandarins are not bothered by even the most aggressive fish they produce noxious slime and the colors are aposomatic.
not commenting on the content of your post itself but...

download (6).jpeg

OP
OP
LAA

LAA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your wrasse is a thalassoma lutescens its gentle behavior will change over time. It's not the most aggressive of the thalassoma spp but it's still a thalassoma. This genus of wrasse has an aggressive reputation for a reason.
So you would advise against?
Cause now some people are saying yes they are fine together and others are saying that’s not true..

OP
OP
LAA

LAA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin tang will beat up the hippo tang so add a sailfin that's much smaller than the hippo and add it very last. Mine beats up my foxface and any other tang. Mandarins are not bothered by even the most aggressive fish they produce noxious slime and the colors are aposomatic.
Great thanks for the info

Top Shelf Aquatics

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it’s possible with caution?
Also this is a sunset wrasse right? XD
Yes, that is Thalassoma lutescens.

Don't you also have a bird wrasse or is that in another tank?

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So I have a 125 reef tank, sunset wrasse, damsel, hippo tang, clownfish, can these live with sailfin tang and mandarin goby.
It should be alright due to the slime coats seen on Mandarins - This should stop fish from being able to consume them but not stop aggression. However, aggression upon introduction is an issue. These animals don’t cope well to stress.
The sunset wrasse is very gentle with the other fish I have, small damsel less than a inch is fine. So is clown
You deal with some of the most aggressive of wrasse genera don’t you? Gosh I wish you luck, Ghomposus, Thallassoma, Large Halichoeres, ect will all have some form of aggression when they mature. And yes all of those fish become male anyway, and they will all gain some amount of aggression, I’ve got a transitional Jade wrasse and he is a fighter. Any wrasse in the tank is scared of him but he is still a young male and not got the full aggression yet. Ghomposus, Thalassoma, Coris, are just a few of the genera that will bash around small fish when mature. This bashing will often lead to a fish that is dead and eaten or a fish that is WAY beyond the risk of death.

I don’t recommend any fish below 4-5 inch in that tank if you’re going for a G. varius and a T. lutescens. Especially no other wrasses unless they’re boisterous (These genera are best; Coris, Cheilinus, Bodianus).

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you would advise against?
Cause now some people are saying yes they are fine together and others are saying that’s not true..
Sailfin tangs get HUGE (Bigger than a dinner plate). And I have seen a dinner plate tang, they aren’t a joke. These dinner plate sized tangs won’t thrive in just 6 foot of tank, they need Atleast 8 foot, 14 foot+ is best to have them thrive. Don’t go for a sailfin unless you have a backup plan for when it gets to 5-6 inch. I don’t mean to sound like I’m over-exaggerating however they really need room to swim, turn and not go under stress.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are one of the easiest, no maintenance fish we keep but they won't live in a new tank no matter how many pods you buy. They need an older tank (years) and they will take care of themselves with no help from us. They will even spawn constantly but not in a new tank.

2 or 3 years old is a new tank.

Can you define old tank?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse police?
thalassoma wrasses can become nightmares. They are known to be aggressive and become so with age and size. I would personally not keep one.

Attachments

• adadadaaaaeee.png
    adadadaaaaeee.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 28
Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse police?
At this rate, with wrasse growing in popularity I think we need them. Some people mix the most aggressive of wrasse with the least aggressive guys and wind up with deaths. You have to know what you’re against when mixing aggressive wrasse and peaceful wrasse IMHO.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mandarin slime coat comments are making me chuckle. Their slime coat prevents most fish from consuming them, but it's not a force field that keeps them from being killed lol

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this rate, with wrasse growing in popularity I think we need them. Some people mix the most aggressive of wrasse with the least aggressive guys and wind up with deaths. You have to know what you’re against when mixing aggressive wrasse and peaceful wrasse IMHO.
Put up a post of the image for people to use. Also I agree with this. We also need more awareness on the Nano wrasses that not many know about, pink streaks and some possoms are timid but amazing for super docile reefs, It would be great to get them captive bred

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back