Can the amino acids fill a lack of nutrients for the sps in a ULNS?

TCK Corals

Lucas Barros

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, everybody!

I have a doubt about ULNS (ultra low nutrients system).
I have a difficulty to increase the nitrate in my tank. I think my filtration is very efficient for my necessities. Every test that I do is 0 NO3 e 0 PO4 (undetectable).
For this reason, I started feeding my corals with amino acids (korallen-zucht and acropower).
It's soon to be sure about the effects.
The colors it's not the best, but it's a little better.
What do you guys can tell me something about this? Is it better keep feeding or increase nitrate too?

Bellow, some photos of my corals.

Thank you!

Nutramar Foods
AS

landlubber

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just suffered some issues running ULNS myself and learned something... i didn't fully grasp the concept of what keeping a ULNS really was.
after scouring the net the best explanation i found was actually very basic, you are consciously trying to drive the nutrients in your tank down to undetectable levels with the absolute intention of adding them in a controlled dose that you must supply. if you aren't doing this all you are doing is risking your entire system by starving it to death... which is exactly where mine was going.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Lucas Barros

Lucas Barros

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just suffered some issues running ULNS myself and learned something... i didn't fully grasp the concept of what keeping a ULNS really was.
after scouring the net the best explanation i found was actually very basic, you are consciously trying to drive the nutrients in your tank down to undetectable levels with the absolute intention of adding them in a controlled dose that you must supply. if you aren't doing this all you are doing is risking your entire system by starving it to death... which is exactly where mine was going.

It's my fear... In a week my corals went pale. I did the tests and I saw zero nitrate and phosphate. So I started feeding and now it's a little better. But for me it's a risk continue like this.

OP
OP
Lucas Barros

Lucas Barros

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing the same thing thinking I was over skimming

And your problem really was the skimming? How did you solve it? The skimmer's pump is DC. I'm thinking of decrease the power pump.
I'm not using anything else, just skimmer and socks in my filtration.

Nutramar Foods

saltwaterpicaso

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my problem ended up being the probiotic salt I was using and a few zeovit additives I started the tank with the salt and it was always just super clean within a week or 2 whatever coral I put in would fade really bad. I switched salts and turned my skimmer down to 1 and feed a lot more most corals have rebounded but there is still a few that look bleached some lps takes a long time to get color back I have read

bif24701

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This!

As BRS claims there 160 build is at NO3 and PO4 ~0. They say it is high nutrients because of all the foods and additives they put in everyday.

You need to feed more, research the system you are using and find the foods and AAs, or whatever is needed to supply your corals the foods they need.

Fercho

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?
I had the same exact problem. Undetectable nutrients, pale corals which would eventually starve to death.

I fixed this by raising my nitrates between 3-5ppm. Took about 2 months to start seeing corals coloring up and within a few months they all colored up and started to grow significantly.

My advice.... dont dose anything. Just raise nitrates. Feed more. Keep between 8-10 fish and be patient. Give it about 2 months to start seeing good results.

As long as you keep nitrates between 3-5 all the time, your reef will thrive.

AquaCave Logo Banner

mocika

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?
I had the same exact problem. Undetectable nutrients, pale corals which would eventually starve to death.

I fixed this by raising my nitrates between 3-5ppm. Took about 2 months to start seeing corals coloring up and within a few months they all colored up and started to grow significantly.

My advice.... dont dose anything. Just raise nitrates. Feed more. Keep between 8-10 fish and be patient. Give it about 2 months to start seeing good results.

As long as you keep nitrates between 3-5 all the time, your reef will thrive.
I have 0 No3 and 0.06 po4. Would like to increase No3 but not with adding KNo3 or Nano3. Adding more fishes and food for them will increase also Po4 or not?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 0 No3 and 0.06 po4. Would like to increase No3 but not with adding KNo3 or Nano3. Adding more fishes and food for them will increase also Po4 or not?

Why not add potassium nitrate? I've used it to great success. Feeding dry foods contain a lot of PO4, frozen not as much. If your filtration is anything close to mine your Nitrates may never rise by feeding alone. Either add nitrates directly or literally turn off or remove filtration, like the skimmer for a few weeks.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly stated @landlubber !!!! There is a great video with a guy explaining this point exactly, but he called his system an ultra low nutrient water only tank or something strange. Either way, this is what every new hobbyist needs to understand, and understand well. I'll try to find it, but in any case, thanks for that explanation!!

AquaCave Logo Banner

mocika

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not add potassium nitrate? I've used it to great success. Feeding dry foods contain a lot of PO4, frozen not as much. If your filtration is anything close to mine your Nitrates may never rise by feeding alone. Either add nitrates directly or literally turn off or remove filtration, like the skimmer for a few weeks.
When i start to add some brown algae start to grow on my sand. Dino or diatom and im afraid to continue.
20170408_153135-800x600.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

JamesP

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the red sea nitrate test and hanna phosphorous test at near 0 levels. You would want nitrate to be around 0.5 and calculated phosphate around 0.03. Remember you have to do math to convert phosphorus to phosphate but it is a more accurate test at near 0. Adjust your carbon dosing and feeding until you get a little above 0.

As the others said, you can always put more food in. The nice thing about acropower is it is sold in larger quantities than kz aminos, doesnt have to be refrigerated like red sea reef energy, and is the most affordable out there. Thats why it is my amino of choice. Perfect for dosing daily with a 1.1mL/min brs dosing pump.

Also, try spot feeding reef chilli. That stuff is coral crack. There was a scientific study a while back by a group in hawaii and it outperformed any other food including the control group that was not fed at all. By spot feeding you can keep the ulns and get nutrients to the corals more effectively.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I said there was a very inexpensive coral food that when you add it you will see dramatic results if the corals are pale and "starving". Not only that but this food adds 0 phosphate to the system! Sounds like a great coral food - I should start selling it, lol

Feed nitrate!

There seems to be a feeing that dosing nitrate is something bad or a terrible "chemikill"!

It's just coral food! I think the dosing part turns people off, but you dose it just like dosing reef nutrition oysterfest or docs egg brew or phyto or anything other food!

This one is just targeted specifically for corals and many people feed their tank with it to increase sps colors - myself included.

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back