Can salt build up on measuring cups significantly affect salinity of new tank water?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The measuring cups/spoons I am using to measure out salt for my water change water have developed a crust of salt since I have started using them. Can this crust be thick enough to throw off the salinity of the resulting salt water? If so, how should I clean the deposits off (with vinegar, perhaps)? Thank you :)

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly depending on how much water you are mixing up. Don’t you test the salinity of your new saltwater though?

If it worries you just rinse them with water after each use.
Yeah, that's why I asked...the salinity of the water I mixed up this week looked slightly lower than that of last week, even though I thought I used the same amount of salt (9.5 tablespoons instant ocean per gallon distilled water). Wasn't sure if it was an issue with my refractometer or whether salt buildup on the measuring cups/spoons was the cause. I will definitely give the cups a rinse.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's why I asked...the salinity of the water I mixed up this week looked slightly lower than that of last week, even though I thought I used the same amount of salt (9.5 tablespoons instant ocean per gallon distilled water). Wasn't sure if it was an issue with my refractometer or whether salt buildup on the measuring cups/spoons was the cause. I will definitely give the cups a rinse.
Well if anything the salt on the cups would cause higher salinity, not lower. So I don’t think that’s the cause. FWIW I almost always have to do a minor adjustment after mixing and testing a batch. It never mixes perfect on the first shot.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if anything the salt on the cups would cause higher salinity, not lower. So I don’t think that’s the cause. FWIW I almost always have to do a minor adjustment after mixing and testing a batch. It never mixes perfect on the first shot.

I think the idea is that permanently stuck deposits reduce the internal volume to measure out loose salt, but again, I do not think folks can detect that in cups (maybe in spoons).

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the idea is that permanently stuck deposits reduce the internal volume to measure out loose salt, but again, I do not think folks can detect that in cups (maybe in spoons).
Ahh. I see that line of thinking now. I was thinking dissolution of residual salt, but that would require dunking the cup into the mixing water.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back