Can my Herbie emergency line...

ShanePike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...drain into the return section of my sump? The main drain is going into the filter sock chamber, but my tubing for the emergency is a little short to reach. It's perfect if I drain it into the return chamber, though.

Any problem with that (or potential problem)?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend it. In a herbie, you should always have a slight trickle going down the emergency pipe. The water flow through the emergency drain will vary from time to time and affect the water level in the return section of the sump. If you have or plan to install an automatic top off system, it will interfere. Can you just extend the pipe?

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend it. In a herbie, you should always have a slight trickle going down the emergency pipe. The water flow through the emergency drain will vary from time to time and affect the water level in the return section of the sump. If you have or plan to install an automatic top off system, it will interfere. Can you just extend the pipe?
Why should you have a slight trickle down the emergency? I don’t have one on mine and it functions perfectly. I also wouldn’t have a problem placing the emergency drain in the return section, it is for an emergency and I don’t normally have water going down it so if there is water there then I need to fix something to stop it again.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why should you have a slight trickle down the emergency? I don’t have one on mine and it functions perfectly. I also wouldn’t have a problem placing the emergency drain in the return section, it is for an emergency and I don’t normally have water going down it so if there is water there then I need to fix something to stop it again.
Is your main line running at full siphon? Herbies are meant to run at full siphon so they are one of the quietest designs. In order to achieve a full siphon and keep water balanced so you don’t get a toilet flushing effect you have to close the gate valve enough to raise the water level just beyond the main pipe’s full capacity allowing the slight trickle down the emergency drain.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is your main line running at full siphon? Herbies are meant to run at full siphon so they are one of the quietest designs. In order to achieve a full siphon and keep water balanced so you don’t get a toilet flushing effect you have to close the gate valve enough to raise the water level just beyond the main pipe’s full capacity allowing the slight trickle down the emergency drain.
This is the way. When I try to run my level below the emergency drain, the level varies too much as powerheads ramp up and down and is very annoying. With the slight trickle it's dead silent.

OP
OP
ShanePike

ShanePike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a great point. Looks like I'm going to need to figure out a way to get it into the filter sock chamber.

Thank you so much!

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is at a full siphon and completely silent. I used gate valves to achieve this like you mentioned

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
...drain into the return section of my sump? The main drain is going into the filter sock chamber, but my tubing for the emergency is a little short to reach. It's perfect if I drain it into the return chamber, though.

I see no issue.
I very rarely have water in my emergency drain.
I have mine set up so the water level remains just under the lip of the emergency drain.
It's only when I do get a trickle of water in it that it does make noise.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it is possible to run it dry based on the experiences shared by @Zelly and @mfinn, but I was always taught to have a trickle and most of the instructions you find online say the same. Personally I can’t imagine trying to fine tune the water level that perfectly, but again - can’t argue with the results above.

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it is possible to run it dry based on the experiences shared by @Zelly and @mfinn, but I was always taught to have a trickle and most of the instructions you find online say the same. Personally I can’t imagine trying to fine tune the water level that perfectly, but again - can’t argue with the results above.
mine was really easy to do tbh. I don’t know if there are different methods of setting it up. Maybe it’s also different for bigger tanks with higher flow rates but I don’t suspect that since you will increase plumbing size as well. I could pm you a video if you are interested in seeing it!

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine was really easy to do tbh. I don’t know if there are different methods of setting it up. Maybe it’s also different for bigger tanks with higher flow rates but I don’t suspect that since you will increase plumbing size as well. I could pm you a video if you are interested in seeing it!
What’s the height difference between your pipes? I’m wondering if that factors in also to why you’re able to run it without water going down the emergency pipe.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't see a problem with this. It is an emergency drain, so as long as it diverts water into the sump, it doesn't matter where as you only want to avoid a flood.

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the height difference between your pipes? I’m wondering if that factors in also to why you’re able to run it without water going down the emergency pipe.
My primary (full siphon) is pretty much as low as possible and my secondary is completely above it then my emergency is completely above the secondary

My mistake, I actually have a bean animal.
IMG_3922.jpeg

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My primary (full siphon) is pretty much as low as possible and my secondary is completely above it then my emergency is completely above the secondary
this is a bean animal drain, not a herbie.... herbies only have 2 pipes so their emergency is your secondary (which looks like it has water draining through it)

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a bean animal drain, not a herbie.... herbies only have 2 pipes so their emergency is your secondary (which looks like it has water draining through it)
Oh my mistake! Sorry about that I confuse the names often and forget which one I have. I did this one because it is silent. Since it was mentioned that the herbie is quiet I might as well try that on my other tank, thing is extremely loud and bugs the heck out of me lol

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What works for you is perfect

OP
OP
ShanePike

ShanePike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In related news, I can't get it to full siphon :/

TOP 10 Trending Threads