Can I keep frozen mysis just refrigerated for a week?

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like to make a concoction of food to feed the fish. Vitamins, Aminos, Coral food, Mysis, Garlic etc. I have been thawing out cubes and making a weeks worth supply of it and refrigerating it so it’s easy to feed everyday (don’t have to wait to thaw). My question is, is this okay? Will the food spoil and potentially harm my live stock? I know the cubes are frozen to keep shelf life up but how long would they be okay just being refrigerated?

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_8091.png

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've conducted an experiment a while ago where I fed some fish refrigerated mysis, andothers thawed(frozen) mysis shrimp. The refrigerated mysis shrimp after some time did gain a pungent odor, however the fish would continue to eat it, and they showed no signs of sickness or stress. So in my personal opinion, you probably could feed using refrigerated mysis shrimp, but I would still *prefer you use frozen mysis shrimp just in case, as outcomes really coud be different for anyone.

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often thaw a cube and only feed half at a time. The other half is refrigerated until the next day (or the following if I forget I already had some thawed ;) )
Thats perfectly fine. I do that also sometimes. The only thing you should consider though is that in the time that the food is in the refrigerator, the nitrate content of the food will go up. :)

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've conducted an experiment a while ago where I fed some fish refrigerated mysis, andothers thawed(frozen) mysis shrimp. The refrigerated mysis shrimp after some time did gain a pungent odor, however the fish would continue to eat it, and they showed no signs of sickness or stress. So in my personal opinion, you probably could feed using refrigerated mysis shrimp, but I would still *prefer you use frozen mysis shrimp just in case, as outcomes really coud be different for anyone.
Awesome, thank you!

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I often thaw a cube and only feed half at a time. The other half is refrigerated until the next day (or the following if I forget I already had some thawed ;) )
Yeah that’s a nice method. The problem is my cubes are all mixed together with other supplements and I feed with a pipette lol

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats perfectly fine. I do that also sometimes. The only thing you should consider though is that in the time that the food is in the refrigerator, the nitrate content of the food will go up. :)
Really??? Wow interesting to know!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s a nice method. The problem is my cubes are all mixed together with other supplements and I feed with a pipette lol
Yes, and you can still freeze half the mixture so that any refrigerated portion is only in the fridge 3-4 days... you'd obviously thaw the other half before using.

djf91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do it. As was said above, it can start producing a pretty pungent odor after a day or two in the fridge. Some of these bacteria can have negative effects on coral and anemones. I once fed my Magnifica some frozen food that had a bit of an odor to it and shortly after it shrunk up and was on the brink of death for a week.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back